BJJ and Street Self Defense Article

johil d'o

Thought Warrior
@Black
Reaction score
http://www.graciemag.com/?c=152&a=3020

Check out this article in Gracie Magazine re the origins of BJJ in street self defense. Some solid observations here.

Started out with a good point, but it gets muddled with propaganda.

Falero said:
And MMA gloves are hand pillows? They seem to miss that you can punch harder with gloves.

I think that's the point hey are trying to make, the gloves are like pillows for your hands so you can punch harder without worrying as much aabout injuring your hand. I beleive what they are trying to say is that in a streetfight you would have to worry about injuring your hands.

The part where it talks about gi training is complete BS. The gi makes training LESS realistic (I train in the gi 3 times a week and always have) the chokes, sweeps, and hold downs which are utilized with the gi on are often impossible to pull off on someone wearing everyday clothes.

You are not going to put me in spider guard when I have a t-shirt on.

I find it odd that Jiu-Jitsu chooses not to rely on strength because it might not always be there, but they find it perfectly acceptable to rely on clothing that most likely will not be there. Also in Brazil no one is wearing anything resembling a gi.

That article was a 2 page blow job session to the Gracie Familys "genius".

Could have been interesting if it wasnt so mind numbingly biased. Ive read better observations from TMA mags.

I think the best self defense comes from competition Jiu Jitsu and from Vale tudo

Brian McLaughlin said:
The part where it talks about gi training is complete BS. The gi makes training LESS realistic (I train in the gi 3 times a week and always have) the chokes, sweeps, and hold downs which are utilized with the gi on are often impossible to pull off on someone wearing everyday clothes.

You are not going to put me in spider guard when I have a t-shirt on.

I find it odd that Jiu-Jitsu chooses not to rely on strength because it might not always be there, but they find it perfectly acceptable to rely on clothing that most likely will not be there. Also in Brazil no one is wearing anything resembling a gi.

1. you can use tshirts for chokes

2. Spider guard in a street fight? I mean I wouldn't use it, but spider guards should be used for somewhat knowledgeable jiujitsu fighters, not on a person you are fighting with on the street. Why would you put yourself on your back in the street anyways. The Gi is useful in training because it simulates everyday clothes of a pants and a jacket. You can throw someone and end the fight right there or gain superior position on the street. Please don't tell me you don't wear Jackets or Pants bro, you live in cold ass NY. Besides, you can apply spider guard with the wrist or if you have open guard like that and you defend your wrist you can still get rocked by a face kick. But again who'd be on their back in a street fight? Not I.

3. In training you shouldn't rely on strength but technique, but you should definately use your strength in competition or in a fight, not using strength develops technique quicker in training.

I like the gi tribute on the 2nd page. Going after Eddie Bravo a bit there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back