BJJ and Self Defence - What can we do?

Rape choke.

Edit: Honestly, I would yell help, please stop, please stop as you are pounding his face in.

Last edited:
just be able to justify your actions to law enforcement. you do have the right to defend yourself (within reason).

...unless the cops just disregard your account of the story.

i wouldnt worry about it, just do what u gotta do.

"If he dies..... he dies"- Ivan Drago

I'd be inclined to use strikes myself. Joint locks I'd avoid unless I was in real trouble and was willing to break someone's arm. Chokes I'd do... but I would be very nervous about them. I'd only do chokes I'm familiar with, so I know if I'm cutting off blood or air. A triangle I'd do and feel fine about it, a guillotine though.... I might end up using it to transition to something else instead of trying to finish it.

just be able to justify your actions to law enforcement. you do have the right to defend yourself (within reason).

good luck with this one...

i see a day in court fighting a hefty lawsuit. or even worse trying to prove to a jury you didn't intend to cause serious bodily harm when your slick neck crank breaks the guys neck.

my instructor (who is a bouncer at a night club and is 160lbs) says when someone starts something stupid he never throws punches anymore.. just slaps the hell out of the other person. says its a great way to demotivate or sober up a dumb ass.

Dontcha know? BJJ is a sport and only a sport, and was never meant to be used for fighting. And even so, it's useless in a fight, everyone on the grappling forum knows that by now. Who pulls guard in a streetfight?!?!

So really you have nothing to worry about because you're incapable of defending yourself. If you want to defend yourself you need to buy an AK-47 or start judo.

Seriously though just put the guy in a gift wrap and use your free hand to call the cops if needed.

takedown > mount > giftwrap > pound his face in with free arm

...unless the cops just disregard your account of the story.

The cops have nothing to do with deciding if charges get pressed or not if they are not present for the altercation. The only time this is different is in domestic violence cases.

Do what you need to do to protect yourself. Life threatening techniques can only be validated in instances where you were afraid for you life.

A line gets crossed once you take control of the situation. If you continue to do harm, then you are the one who will be seen in the wrong, no matter how much the other person might deserve it.

Rape choke.

Edit: Honestly, I would yell help, please stop, please stop as you are pounding his face in.

This, except I would've choked him out had he given me his back. Then I would have quickly left and probably never had to deal with the cops. And if I did have to deal with cops, hopefully the witnesses will identify me as the guy yelling for help.

This, except I would've choked him out had he given me his back. Then I would have quickly left and probably never had to deal with the cops. And if I did have to deal with cops, hopefully the witnesses will identify me as the guy yelling for help.

I LOL'd at the yelling for help part :) I can totally see someone doing this. As they are sinking in a RNC, yelling help me! with a grin on their face.

I LOL'd at the yelling for help part :) I can totally see someone doing this. As they are sinking in a RNC, yelling help me! with a grin on their face.

Definitely. I learned that a bystander's perception of what's happening can be very important once the cops are involved. I actually ended up on the wrong side of that in a legitimate self-defense situation...I was randomly assaulted and a group of girls only saw what happened at the end of the confrontation (when I finally had the upper hand) and told the cops the wrong story. Luckily a different group of bystanders straightened the cops out, but I thought I was jail-bound for a little while.

You should have thrown the hadouken. It's much safer to engage an opponent at range.

Back