Bjj and Judo classes

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why is it that BJJ schools seem to have classes 4-5 times a week while Judo is typically twice? They both require approximately the same technical proficiency. So why do Judo classes meet less?

My judo dojo gives 10 classes a week. And I'm only counting those I could attend, not the ones for the kids.

I think what you stated must be relative to your own location.

My own location yes but I have read many other threads where people said their school only taught Judo twice a week.

Wear and tear maybe? It is much more taxing, even with proper ukemi.

BJJ schools are a lot more likely to have full time professional instructors.

Also there are a lot of "recreational" judo clubs who only train 2 times a week.

It just depends on how available the instructors are at any given place.

Also, BJJ is probably a bit more popular than judo these days (due to UFC).

For example, your typical 15-25 year old American male who doesn't train at all sees "The Ultimate Fighter" on TV. He learns how it is linked to UFC and does a bit of research on UFC. He learns about Royce, and thus BJJ. Maybe he finds out that judo is related, but wants to do what Royce does.

Just a hypothesis.

it's generally due to wear and tear.

we use to have class tues and thurs. But i'd be too sore 75% of the time to go on thursday. Now it's monday and thursday. So i'm only stiff come thursday.

Cojofl said:

Also there are a lot of "recreational" judo clubs who only train 2 times a week.

It is because American Judoka are not dedicated to the sport like BJJ people and foreign judoka. The judoka at the school I trained at practice 7 days a week, twice a day (5x).

To really get good at Judo you need to practice 3+ times a week.

At the Judo school I attend, there are the normal two adults classes, that everyone is informed about, then there are "extra" classes that other students put together strictly for the competitve Judoka. If you are new to your Judo gym check and see with some of the more competitive Judoka about any extra classes that may be happening.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
At the Judo school I attend, there are the normal two adults classes, that everyone is informed about, then there are "extra" classes that other students put together strictly for the competitve Judoka. If you are new to your Judo gym check and see with some of the more competitive Judoka about any extra classes that may be happening.

Cojofl said:

These two quotes about say it all. I'll add this very general statement:
BJJ = business
Judo = hobby

IMO dojos only give as much classes as they can make money with. Dojos in the USA probably only have around 2 classes a week because there would not be enough people attending the extra classes.

It cannot be the wear and tear proper to judo. I't true that judo is harder on the body than bjj, but less so than muay thai and there are quite a few muay thai gyms that give a lot more than 2 classes/week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
former lurker
Back