BJ Penn VS. John Machado

Zonefighter

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This occured a few days ago as a friendly no gi grappling match at Machado's academy.

BJ was at about 190 and John at about 205

It was very even, some of the best Jiu Jitsu I have ever seen.

BJ took John's back once but John escaped quickly, no problem.

John had a few nice take downs.

Rip Van Winkle said:
so in other words it wasn't a grappling match...just sparring?
yes, hard sparring, 10 mins of nonstop action

Zonefighter said:
yes, hard sparring, 10 mins of nonstop action
Bro, you need to get into details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who took the td? How? What guards they played? What type of JJ they showed (fast, slow, tight, loose etc.)? Who scored points and how? Was it no gi or gi? You know...

Very cool. A little more info would be appreciated though.

Gotta tell us everything, sounds awesome, i doubt they were even going hard.

They appeared to both be going at about 90% effort. Neither attacked the feet, and there were times they both could have. John seemed to be preventing BJ from doing things that BJ normally gets people with. There was a ton of mutual respect and they both has a lot of fun. They got to their feet many times and John seemed to get the better of takedowns. Overall it was about even.

tudor_bjj said:
Bro, you need to get into details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who took the td? How? What guards they played? What type of JJ they showed (fast, slow, tight, loose etc.)? Who scored points and how? Was it no gi or gi? You know...

And dont forget the "What color shorts and rash guard were they wearing?" question.

kuroMaguro said:
And dont forget the "What color shorts and rash guard were they wearing?" question.
Do you feel lonely?

that is cool that 2 good grapplers can set their egos aside and just train.

thanks for the added details, I personally love two really skilled mat technitians going at it.

Back