BJ Penn Training in Rio (Nova Uniao); in the gi

GordoBarraBJJ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Not a big clip but pretty cool to see Penn in the gi.

Cool! Thanks for posting. How recent was this? I’m a big fan of BJ Penn but hopefully he won’t try another comeback in MMA. He looked slow and out of sorts in his last fight against Rodriguez. Would love to see him in IBJJF or ADCC competitions though.

Oh, a funny thing was that, at first I thought that the dude with a beard in the blue gi rolling with Aldo was BJ. Then I saw he was brown belt, so I thought it must’ve been an old video right before he won the Worlds. Massive confusion on my part. :)

Cool! Thanks for posting. How recent was this? I’m a big fan of BJ Penn but hopefully he won’t try another comeback in MMA. He looked slow and out of sorts in his last fight against Rodriguez. Would love to see him in IBJJF or ADCC competitions though.
He is going to fight Ryan Hall on the 29 at UFC 232.

He can possibly beat Hall but where’s he go after that ? They’re not gonna give him all winnable fights . Hate to see him keep losing . I would like to see him compete again in gi or no gi tournaments though .

He is going to fight Ryan Hall on the 29 at UFC 232.

Wow, I’m way out of the loop. Thanks for bringing me up to date.

Although, admittedly I don’t know anything about Ryan Hall! LOL. I’m so out of the loop, I get names of Ryan Hall and Gordon Ryan all mixed up!

He can possibly beat Hall but where’s he go after that ? They’re not gonna give him all winnable fights . Hate to see him keep losing . I would like to see him compete again in gi or no gi tournaments though .

I’m right there with ya! I hate to see BJ keep on his losing streak. Definitely would love to see him in BJJ tournaments. Just not MMA anymore.

Fairly recent I'd imagine. He's been in Rio for a few months now.

Fighting ryan hall this weekend coming up.

One of my favourite fighters ever and it is a shame he and Ryan on are the opening bout of the prelims.

That said, I wish he would quit mma; at least ryan is a winnable fight for him.

They’re not gonna give him all winnable fights .
If he is fighting for cheap for fun and wins I don't see why not feed him to prospect loosing for a named opponents. If he keeps losing his name value will keep deteriorating.

If he is fighting for cheap for fun and wins I don't see why not feed him to prospect loosing for a named opponents. If he keeps losing his name value will keep deteriorating.
I agree on one hand that the ufc has no obligation to give him winnable fights and can /should certainly give him prospects to build their name off of him. HOWEVER from a fan of his’ perspective ( which I am ). I hate to see him get turned into mush . BUT..it’s his life and his decision to keep fighting , I get it. Nobody forcing him .

Not a big clip but pretty cool to see Penn in the gi.

from BJ's recent fights the biggest problem I see is the stiff, Renan Barao-style striking he's started doing since he started training with Nova Unaio. Ryan Hall's karate is nowhere near as good as Yair Rodriguez' but I can see BJ having some of the same problems.

He actually looks pretty good.

But why not train nogi if you are having an MMA fight coming up?

I was never a huge fan of BJ Penn and find him very overrated but he is around my age and it would feel good if he would go back to the UFC and start winning again.

Back