"Bisping is a Champ on borrowed Time" ... So Are Most Other Champs! (Very Detailed)

What the hell does "true champion" mean?

exactly. it's a subjective and semantic debate dressed in colloquialism.

• he has the belt, he's the champion.
  • or, he has the belt but he's not the 'true champion' until he defends it (a holdover from boxing, where even there it's considered a stupid argument by most intelligent fans)
  • or, he has the belt but he's not the 'true champion' until he defends it against a top 5 opponent (this sentiment originated 5 seconds after Bisping v Hendo II was announced)

• or, he'll never be the true champ because it was a bullshit title shot in the first place. eyeroll.

It just means somebody on the internet doesn't know what a No True Scotsman fallacy is.

He isn't even one of the ones who got handed an "interim" that was promoted to full. Those ones I can see the argument for an asterisk. But simply knocking out the champion while being considered an underdog?! I don't see how that even offers to introduce an asterisk.

I've never been a Bisping fan, but he does manage to stumble around the ring and land a perfectly timed KO on a lot of people. It doesn't look flashy, it looks lucky. But luck is not a real thing; when you think you're seeing repeated luck, you're probably just seeing a hidden skill. He does manage to land those punches and win, over an over, so he's probably tricking his opponents with his movement just as well as he tricks the fans! He's not the biggest, strongest, fastest, smoothest, quickest, or most accurate. His timing isn't the best either, except when he's landing that KO punch. If he's only better during the last couple seconds of the fight before he wins then it is no wonder that he can be champion, or rated in the teens, because it is hard to judge what he is good at.

He's definitely earned where he is, I just wish one of his opponents would figure his timing out more completely and knock him out! It isn't enough to look down on him and get knocked out, they need to win if they want to be champion. And when somebody manages it, I'll be thankful!

It just means somebody on the internet doesn't know what a No True Scotsman fallacy is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
Person B: "But my uncle Angus likes sugar with his porridge."
Person A: "Ah yes, but no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."​

didn't know that fallacy by that name. thank you, i've now learned 2 things sherdog today.

Bisping is easily the best champ on the roster. May be in the running for GOAT if he beats Yoel.

Back