Bioavailability and cooking vegetables

ScriptReadsMe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's generally accepted that raw veggies are very nutritious compared to cooked veggies, but I don't find them particularly tasty. So how much is lost through cooking? Let's say I oven roast spinach leaves, how many nutrients are left after roasting them sons of bitches for a dozen minutes?

doesn't cooking vegetables, unlock a lot of vitamins that your body can't process when they are raw? i think this goes both ways, or did i just imagine this?

doesn't cooking vegetables, unlock a lot of vitamins that your body can't process when they are raw? i think this goes both ways, or did i just imagine this?

They change their minds every 20 goddamn minutes, whoever "they" are. One minute something is amazing for you and then they come out and tell you in gives you some horrific disease.

Nope, you're right. Anticarcinogenic compounds in broccoli can only be accessed after cooking, and likewise there are plenty of goodies in carrots and bell peppers whose bioavailability is improved after cooking. The only substance which is lowered through cooking is C-vitamin, but considering how abundant it is in a multitude of other foods, it's still a net gain.

I wouldn't even think twice about this. Just eat the food.

Back