Law Bill criminalising identifying as LGBT passed by Ghanaian Parliament - awaits Presidential Approval

Relevant previous thread about Uganda

Ghana's parliament has passed a tough new bill that imposes a prison sentence of up to three years for anyone convicted of identifying as LGBTQ+.

It also imposes a maximum five-year jail term for forming or funding LGBTQ+ groups.

Lawmakers heckled down attempts to replace prison sentences with community service and counselling.

It is the latest sign of growing opposition to LGBTQ+ rights in the conservative West African nation.

The bill, which had the backing of Ghana's two major political parties, will come into effect only if President Nana Akufo-Addo signs it into law.

Ghana-president-Nana-Addo-Dankwa-Akufo-Addo-2018.jpg

President Nana Akufo-Addo

He previously said that he would do so if the majority of Ghanaians want him to.

Gay sex is already against the law in Ghana - it carries a three-year prison sentence.

The bill proposes a jail term of up to 10 years for anyone involved in LGBTQ+ advocacy campaigns aimed at children

It also encourages the public to report members of the LGBTQ+ community to authorities for 'necessary action'.

MPs said the bill was drafted in response to the opening of Ghana's first LGBTQ+ community centre in the capital, Accra, in January 2021.

Police shut the centre following public protests, and pressure from religious bodies and traditional leaders in the largely Christian nation.

At the time, the Christian Council of Ghana and the Ghana Pentecostal and Charismatic Council said in a joint statement that being LGBTQ+ was 'alien to the Ghanaian culture and family value system and, as such, the citizens of this nation cannot accept it'.

The bill approved by lawmakers is a watered-down version of an earlier draught - for instance, jail terms have been shortened and a controversial clause on conversion therapy has been removed.

AP21292597169009.jpg

Democracy Strikes Again!

Even the most cursory of glances at a map shows that socially progressive nations are the most happy and prosperous ones. Alas, too many idiots would rather be destitute than live in a tolerant society.

Ghana ghana Ghana.

Funny how westerners are creaming themselves over this atrocity.

Probably the same guys who get offended by "Sherfront"

I also love when people claim that "the left moved so far left that the center is now right wing" and at the same time cheering on homophobic bills like this that was considered crazy even 40 years ago....

Democracy Strikes Again!

Western religious influences planted the seeds and funded the creation of this legislation, which is prohibitively expensive.

These are people who absolutely want laws like this in the west but know they're out of reach.

I'm not sure if you hate gay people more than you hate black people and women in general, where do you stand on these laws?

Ghana ghana Ghana.

Funny how westerners are creaming themselves over this atrocity.
I think it’s mainly republicans (like in this thread) who have always stigmatized homosexuality. It’s nothing new. Unfortunately, there will always be people like this.

Western religious influences planted the seeds and funded the creation of this legislation, which is prohibitively expensive.

These are people who absolutely want laws like this in the west but know they're out of reach.

I'm not sure if you hate gay people more than you hate black people and women in general, where do you stand on these laws?
This is true. There are lots of conservatives (or so called conservatives anyways) who would be perfectly fine with these kinds of laws on the books

This is true. There are lots of conservatives (or so called conservatives anyways) who would be perfectly fine with these kinds of laws on the books

It's been a trip watching them try and walk back the IVF complications.

And they still can't help themselves, describing the urgent need to "breed".

It's been a trip watching them try and walk back the IVF complications.

And they still can't help themselves, describing the urgent need to "breed".
They are complete and utter frauds . They support personhood at fertilization (which would clearly mean that IVF would be illegal) and now they are all saying that they support IVF… it’s so laughable.

They are complete and utter frauds . They support personhood at fertilization (which would clearly mean that IVF would be illegal) and now they are all saying that they support IVF… it’s so laughable.

I'm not sure the EXTREME zealots, the true believers, are walking this back.

Just the politicians who are using them and believe nothing.

I'm not sure the EXTREME zealots, the true believers, are walking this back.

Just the politicians who are using them and believe nothing.
Some GOP politicians (I think) actually believe this stuff but others clearly don’t and just use issues like this for cynical , self preserving reasons

Wow. Pretty fucking draconian and evil and reminds me of something nazi germany would have done. “Here’s a toll free number to report gays.”

What I want to see, however, is all the protesters that slam the us and church groups calling them anti gay and anti trans, to actually go there and see how well this works out for them. Similar to the LGBTQ protesters that support a free Palestine. I want to see them go there and say “we are here to support and fight for you!….wait, why are you throwing stones at me, ouch, that one hurt.”

Even the most cursory of glances at a map shows that socially progressive nations are the most happy and prosperous ones. Alas, too many idiots would rather be destitute than live in a tolerant society.
The problem is socially progressive places are plutocracies that will steer their society more and more towards corporatism and in the long run the affordability of the everyman will take a back seat.

Ghana has its fair share of problems, but they steadily improve their quality of life while we dream of the wealth our grandparents were able to acquire, all the while allowing socially struggling kids to be enticed by lgbt ideology and it's many potential issues.

How can anyone not be against this type of shit?

Back