Movies Big plot hole in Star Wars.

I always thought it was odd how they use two hands and swing their light sabers hard, like they're heavy war hammers or something. Isn't all the weight in the handle? Then shouldn't light saber duels look more like fencing matches?

I always thought it was odd how they use two hands and swing their light sabers hard, like they're heavy war hammers or something. Isn't all the weight in the handle? Then shouldn't light saber duels look more like fencing matches?
It was supposed to look like fencing, but with sabers I guess. But it was all down to a technical issue with how the lightsaber special effects were done I think. Not counting lack of enthusiasm on the part of Alec Guinness, that is.

https://fstoppers.com/education/vfx...al-star-wars-special-effects-were-made-439094
"...lightsaber battles were done with film using actual chemical processes. The lightsaber effects were done in different ways dependent on the technological advances back when the original movies were made. One way to make the lightsabers glow was to cut a hole in the film where the actors held their stand-in lightsabers and shine a light through that hole frame by frame; double-exposing the original film."

For the less inclined to read type, timestamped:

Last edited:
Back