Big Nog's striking has looked real SHARP as of late

Jay Jay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel his multiple hip surgeries have really diminished his grappling ability. And his durability has also taken a hit from all the damage he's taken.

That said, I honestly feel like his boxing has looked tighter and more refined than ever before. Or is this simply an illusion from Nog being matched up against poor strikers lately?

And on a tangentially related note, here is how I feel about Werdum/Nog matchup:

I believe Werdum has a definitive advantage in BJJ. Their grappling was about even when they met in PRIDE, but Werdum has continued to compete at the highest level in ADCC through the decade (placing 2nd in his most recent competition - ADCC 2011 where in he lost against Vinny in the finals after nearly submitting him) whereas Big Nog has stop competing in submission grappling at the highest level. Plus, his multiple hip surgeries have clearly hindered his hip motion and all those therapies have taken away time he dedicated to honing up his BJJ - it's evident in the way he grapples as of late, whereas Werdum is a lot smoother and seamless with his transitions

Werdum has also improved his Muay Thai dramatically by working under Rafael Cordeiro and I think it's definitely fair to peg Werdum as a solid favorite over Big Nog. That said, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Big Nog outstrikes Werdum on the feet. It may even force Werdum to go for takedowns and partake in a grappling exchange, which is where I feel Werdum's advantage is more evident

TL DR: Werdum may not necessarily have a striking advantage over Big Nog. In fact, Werdum's advantage on the ground is more apparent based on observing each of their techniques on the ground in their recent fights.

Last edited:
no way it is the best it has ever been but his hands are still one of the best (not hyperbole) in the hw division. problem is he's just a lot slower. i don't know if it's a technique or something but when he backpedals, he looks like an old man.

i'd like to see him fight lavar johnson. he'd either get KTFO or he'd win against a pretty dominant looking dude.

Nogs boxing is slow as never before nowadays. You are right he didnt face good boxers lately. Even in Schaub fight the stand up was closer till Nog koed him.

seriously? maybe. i hope so. but lavar is pretty fast for a huge dude. so i guess maybe if nog pulls guard or something.

Dude, he got keylocked by Shawn Jordan and armbarred by Shane Del Rosario, you are way overrating him. He wouldn't have even a 1/10 chance vs Nog.

I feel his multiple hip surgeries have really diminished his grappling ability. And his durability has also taken a hit from all the damage he's taken.

That said, I honestly feel like his boxing has looked tighter and more refined than ever before. Or is this simply an illusion from Nog being matched up against poor strikers lately?

And on a tangentially related note, here is how I feel about Werdum/Nog matchup:

I believe Werdum has a definitive advantage in BJJ. Their grappling was about even when they met in PRIDE, but Werdum has continued to compete at the highest level in ADCC through the decade (placing 2nd in his most recent competition - ADCC 2011 where in he lost against Vinny in the finals after nearly submitting him) whereas Big Nog has stop competing in submission grappling at the highest level. Plus, his multiple hip surgeries have clearly hindered his hip motion and all those therapies have taken away time he dedicated to honing up his BJJ - it's evident in the way he grapples as of late, whereas Werdum is a lot smoother and seamless with his transitions

Werdum has also improved his Muay Thai dramatically by working under Rafael Cordeiro and I think it's definitely fair to peg Werdum as a solid favorite over Big Nog. That said, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Big Nog outstrikes Werdum on the feet. It may even force Werdum to go for takedowns and partake in a grappling exchange, which is where I feel Werdum's advantage is more evident

TL DR: Werdum may not necessarily have a striking advantage over Big Nog. In fact, Werdum's advantage on the ground is more apparent based on observing each of their techniques on the ground in their recent fights.

i think its best for big nog to just hang them up

lol ok my bad, i just have beltran/barry fights fresh in my head and he looked like fedor. no joke. swinging like crazy.

lol ok my bad, i just have beltran/barry fights fresh in my head and he looked like fedor. no joke. swinging like crazy.

Fedor "swinging like crazy" is a myth. There were a myriad of nuances to his striking game, and it was especially great during the Pride years.

nogs hands looked sharp against mir, but against herman he looked achingly slow

Did you see Herman in their last fight?

Gameplan:

1)Extend hand
2)???????????????????

As long as Werdum avoids wild exchanges he can finish Nog

Fedor "swinging like crazy" is a myth. There were a myriad of nuances to his striking game, and it was especially great during the Pride years.

I love Fedor and I'm sure he was super nuanced (I actually did read that thing where the guy did an in-depth analysis)...

But in his last few fights in the US, it was wild headhunting. scary i'm sure for the people he was fighting against, but wild.

Big Nog is truly a warrior. The guy is without a doubt the toughest MMA fighter I have ever seen. I'm surprised he's still fighting after his hip surgery and broken arm. As to his striking, he's looking the slowest ever in his career, but he's still kicking some asses.

My favourite part of Nog's game that he never showed much skill in his earlier ("Prime") career is striking on his way into, in and on his way out of the clinch. He's flashed that a few times recently, and it's neat to see.

So did I miss an announcement? This fight is on? Or is it just a hypothetical comparison?

Back