big man advantages playing bottom game?

lightw8

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
just wondering what advantages big men have playing bottom games if any?

arm across you then take their back, or they drive in you sweep. almost impossible to stop when your bigger and stronger

I'm 160 lbs. When I'm facing big guys (over 200) I have a much harder time keeping posture and standing from closed guard. I also have to worry about getting lapel dragged in open guard (almost been face-planted more than once). Once I'm passed guard I have to worry about getting bench-pressed off, but otherwise find it easier to keep a dominate position than on a smaller guy with quicker hips.

When a big guy with strong legs plays spider guard he can completely control your upper body and dominate you. Very dangerous to let a big guy get spider guard on you.

Some big guys are really good at deep half guard too, since their whole body is right under your hips it makes your base very unstable and they can tip you over and sweep you easily.

Assuming that this big guy is also strong, his guard can potentially be a nightmare to deal with. If he knows how to use it, you'll be fighting iron grips, having your posture broken constantly, getting collar-choked into Bolivia and seeing plenty of air time from unstoppable sweeps. Oh, and his arm drags will leave a detailed imprint of your facial features on the mat.

interesting...never thought spider guard could be a big man guard.

you won't have any connection with the mats when you mount me!

that nice americana on his arm closest to your head {bottom side}, as soon as they relax it BAM and crank. He either taps or gets off of you.

Arm drags FTW. I am a very large guy and I have been working on arm drags from closed guard a lot. Smaller training partners are having a lot of trouble stopping this attack from succeeding. I either go for the back or pendulum from it but if there's something else you like go for that too.

Another thing that I've noticed is that it's hard to complete passes on me. I can almost always turtle no matter how inept I've been up until that point. Then I have to defend my back and reclaim guard somehow but I don't give up the pass points.

It's harder to stand up in closed guard because obviously you have to lift more weight than if a smaller guy had his legs around you.

Finally it's just a lot easier to upset your opponent's balance if you're big. Even slight movement by you can send him flying if he's the least bit off balance.

damn...amazing. Ive listened to this lecture before but never hit me like this time. Im def the guy who makes sure i get the adv from knees.

I like to pull guard a bit more than half of the time and get on top the rest of the time. It's kind of annoying when I want to go on top and the guy midget wrestles me like it's an NCAA championship match from the knees which forces me to pull guard instead of wasting time wrestling from the knees for 3 mins. I can see it from his POV though. Maybe he's been pulling guard the whole night and now he finally wants to start on top and he's pissed that this jerk wants to midget wrestle for top position. There are some guys who always insist on fighting me hard for top position from the knees. For some reason they are obsessed with getting on top you. I don't really understand what the point of that is.

I haven't rolled with a single person purple belt or above who wanted to midget wrestle for top position. If that's what you try to do, they will pull guard.

interesting...never thought spider guard could be a big man guard.

Spider guard is a great guard for big guys. I am 6' 2" 195 lbs and it is my go to open guard. Pretty much all of my attributes are an advantage for playing spider guard, long legs, strong grip, powerful legs.

good lecture

thing is, that lots of noobs don't know this. if an instructor sees this he should put an end to it.

every bjj gym should have a big sign that says:
no slamming
no midget wrestling
no punching

If thats Eddie Bravo speech is the "big guys should pull guard and earn the top" speech, I fully agree.
I prefer using my legs and length in butterfly and half guard. Lots of elevation with my hooks, and its easy to reap the trapped leg straight when in half guard.

Spider guard is a great guard for big guys. I am 6' 2" 195 lbs and it is my go to open guard. Pretty much all of my attributes are an advantage for playing spider guard, long legs, strong grip, powerful legs.

werd

i've been using less spider and more z-guard and deep half guard lately but spider is the first open guard i really took a liking to and i'm exactly the same height and weight as you. and i train at GB too. internet high-five!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back