"Big athletes go to other sports where they can make more money" - ATT's Mike Brown

Your "better athletes" would not have done mma if nfl/nba didn't exist, they'd been pushing pencils somewhere

Maybe, maybe not. Not all.

This is arrogant and pompous.

You know how the direction another person's life would take, if different opportunities opened? Just stop it.

You know how the direction another person's life would take, if different opportunities opened? Just stop it.
99% of all college players don't make it to the big leagues.
The opportunity to try mma is there.
Why don't they take it?
A fraction of them probably do it.
Of all these athletes, in the UFC we had Schaub and Mitrione.
ONLY.
Of thousands and thousands of good college athletes.

99% of all college players don't make it to the big leagues.
The opportunity to try mma is there.
Why don't they take it?
A fraction of them probably do it.
Of all these athletes, in the UFC we had Schaub and Mitrione.
ONLY.
Of thousands and thousands of good college athletes.

So because of this, you can conclude if the NFL/NBA didnt exists, all these athletes would be working office jobs?

Does not add up. I am not convinced. Pompous BS imo

So because of this, you can conclude if the NFL/NBA didnt exists, all these athletes would be working office jobs?

Does not add up. I am not convinced. Pompous BS imo
What we're discussing here is a theory that superb athletes go to better paying sports (I agree with that) and that if it for some reason mma paid better than these sports or these sports didn't exist, those athletes would change the landscape of mma heavier divisions (I disagree with that.)
1) Better athletes don't necessarily make better fighters.
2) We already have the example of 99% of college athletes that don't make it to nfl/nba, they have an opportunity to change the landscape of mma heavier divisions, but they didn't change it for 2 reasons: first, only a fraction of them tried mma and failed to make any impact on heavier divisions (in the UFC, we only had two: Schaub and Mitrione),
Secondly, larger number of these athletes don't want to get elbowed in the face for living.
So the theory is wrong.
If you're still not convinced, enter: Greg hardy.

What we're discussing here is a theory that superb athletes go to better paying sports (I agree with that) and that if it for some reason mma paid better than these sports or these sports didn't exist, those athletes would change the landscape of mma heavier divisions

Nope. I never quoted this. The OP never addressed this, and this is not our discussion.

You quoted me earlier accusing me of "not reading" while you continuously misdirect the discussion with people.

some reason mma paid better than these sports or these sports didn't exist, those athletes would change the landscape of mma heavier divisions

Of course it would. Majority of athletes choose their sport at an early age.

If sport has more money, it has more advertisement, has more fans, has more participants, creates local fans, creates community, that developed and seeks out athletes.

Like Americans do right now with many sports.

If there was no NFL/NBA, this magical stuff would still happen, athletes would still look for outlets, america would still crave a sport.

Would every HW atheltes be a fighter? No. Could there be great fighters with star power in those raw athletes, hell yess. It's very possible.

If other sports didnt exsist, and UFC had more money, is a certain fact, there would be at least one monster HW that would change the division. I have zero doubts about that.

Finally! That's what im trying to tell you all along.
Your "better athletes" would not have done mma if nfl/nba didn't exist, they'd been pushing pencils somewhere
1- Theyre not my athletes
2- Thats completely irrelevant and fallacious in regards to the subject that; better athletes go to higher paying sports.
If all A-level athletes went into accounting after university because it paid more than the UFC; theyd still make better fighters than bus drivers and firemen and other D level athletes in the UFC

If other sports didnt exsist, and UFC had more money, is a certain fact, there would be at least one monster HW that would change the division. I have zero doubts about that.
Yes, and that monster is Greg Hardy.
I'm looking forward to seeing this "A-level athlete" changing the hw division.
It's amazing how much people underestimate mma fighters.
Daniel Cormier is the current heavyweight champion and he's once in a lifetime athlete.

1- Theyre not my athletes
2- Thats completely irrelevant and fallacious in regards to the subject that; better athletes go to higher paying sports.
If all A-level athletes went into accounting after university because it paid more than the UFC; theyd still make better fighters than bus drivers and firemen and other D level athletes in the UFC
Great, let's see what Greg Hardy is going to do against D level athletes.
Btw, he himself said that the UFC fighters are amazing athletes.
So we finally saw the mythical A level athlete in his athletic prime entering the UFC.
We all witnessed how his debut went, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him again.

Yes!

I would have gone to Harvard and then taken a job at Google, if I hadn’t gotten the McDonald’s job straight out of high school!

I don’t eat McDonalds. It’s not healthy.
I eat Cheetos instead, in my mom’s basement. The basement actually has a bigger room, where my older brother sleeps. I sleep in a small alcove near the furnace.

Great, let's see what Greg Hardy is going to do against D level athletes.
Btw, he himself said that the UFC fighters are amazing athletes.
So we finally saw the mythical A level athlete in his athletic prime entering the UFC.
We all witnessed how his debut went, but I'm really looking forward to seeing him again.

Hes one good athlete, who may not turn out to be a skilled fighter
But hes able to compete as a pro in a late stage in his athletic career because hes a good athlete. The same with Mitrione and Schuab who were competing at the highest level even after starting in their 30s
Regardless of Hardy success it doesnt negate the facts that-

1- Big athletes go to sports where they can make money, get education and social status
2- superior athlete w skill > inferior athlete w same skill

Cats forget the UFC had bus drivers, firemen and math teachers as champions 10 years ago. Now we have Jones (2 NFL bros) Cormier (olympian) and a wealth of successful d1 collegiate wrestlers. Only reinforcing the improving athletic pedigree in mma

Hes one good athlete, who may not turn out to be a skilled fighter
But hes able to compete as a pro in a late stage in his athletic career because hes a good athlete. The same with Mitrione and Schuab who were competing at the highest level even after starting in their 30s
Regardless of Hardy success it doesnt negate the facts that-

1- Big athletes go to sports where they can make money, get education and social status
2- superior athlete w skill > inferior athlete w same skill

Cats forget the UFC had bus drivers, firemen and math teachers as champions 10 years ago. Now we have Jones (2 NFL bros) Cormier (olympian) and a wealth of successful d1 collegiate wrestlers. Only reinforcing the improving athletic pedigree in mma
That's true about 10 years ago, but now I really think the UFC has amazing athletes (in all weight classes).
It's true that big athletic men go to better paying sports, but it's only in the US as other countries don't have that kind of education/sports structure, so we're getting great athletes from other countries.
Take Ngannou for example.
I think Ngannou is a better athlete than Greg Hardy.
But he grew up in a country without any sports/education structure that could offer him an opportunity to practice sports professionally.
And there are plenty of other athletes, coming from Brazil, and as of late from Russia.
There are plenty of amazing athletes in the UFC hw and lhw divisions.
And let's not forget one more important thing that one of posters had mentioned.
The passion for the sport.
Daniel Cormier hadn't tried football. He went to wrestling, even though possibility to make money in amateur wrestling is zero.
There are great athletes coming to the UFC from amateur wrestling, and they're not nfl rejects.
They went to wrestling because they loved the sport.

That's true about 10 years ago, but now I really think the UFC has amazing athletes (in all weight classes).
It's true that big athletic men go to better paying sports, but it's only in the US as other countries don't have that kind of education/sports structure, so we're getting great athletes from other countries.
But he grew up in a country without any sports/education structure that could offer him an opportunity to practice sports professionally.
And there are plenty of other athletes, coming from Brazil, and as of late from Russia.
And let's not forget one more important thing that one of posters had mentioned.
Daniel Cormier hadn't tried football. He went to wrestling, even though possibility to make money in amateur wrestling is zero.
There are great athletes coming to the UFC from amateur wrestling, and they're not nfl rejects.

Nothing you are saying negates the fact that good big athletes logically pursue sports with more rewards

Nothing you are saying negates the fact that good big athletes logically pursue sports with more rewards
Nobody disputes that.
Mainstream sports are always going to attract majority of athletes.
I just don't think that's relevant for mma as the same majority of athletes don't want to make a living by getting punched in the face regardless of the paycheck.

Hilarious.

Ngannou a better athlete? He is slow as fuck and the only thing he is "better" is cardio, because cardio requires years of training.

Ngannou is one of the worst puches and without his KO power, he would sucks dicks.
He trained:
- boxing 5-9 years
- MMA 5+ years
- s vitamins

And without his boxing background his "striking" would even look more trash.

Greg Hardy maybe trained for 20+ months and you can clearly see who has more "s vitamins" in their system, yes it is Ngannou.

Sometimes i wonder how many great brazilian fighters we lost because of soccer.
<DCrying>

If there were no soccer, basketball and american football, then other sports would have a much bigger talent pool.

MMA = niche sport.

No news there. HW division is pure shit and always has been. There are like 5 fighters at HW to take seriously. If you were a big guy with punching power with a little luck you honestly could become UFC champ.

Nobody disputes that.
Mainstream sports are always going to attract majority of athletes.
I just don't think that's relevant for mma as the same majority of athletes don't want to make a living by getting punched in the face regardless of the paycheck.

If young elite athletes could see a social, educational and potentially lucrative professional reward from mma, the percentages would be exponentially higher.

That structure simply doesn't exist.

So currently young elite athletes wont even think about pursuing it

Given the numbers Forbes has stated for Conor I dont see why some of these high level college players that dont last in the NFL or NBA dont give it a try. I have a feeling that a lot of them do and see how hard it is and find something else to do.
Because they still. Make more money in the bs CFL or arena football etc. There are secondary league's all over the world that pay guys better than most mma fighters.

Back