Betting Terminology

Discussion in 'MMA Betting Discussion' started by EzFlyer, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EzFlyer

EzFlyer Titanium Belt

Please message me directly if there is something you would like to add to this list or if you see any mistakes.

Questions about anything should be posted here:
    http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/betting-questions.3143825/

---------------

Wager Types:
    "straight" = a single wager on a single outcome

"parlay" = a single wager on multiple outcomes (If any lose, the parlay loses).

"round robin" (RR) = selecting three or more outcomes and parlaying each one with the others in the size of the parlays you specify. i.e. if you do a four-team RR and select groupings of "2", there will be 6 individual parlays:
    A+B
    A+C
    A+D
    B+C
    B+D
    C+D

Betting Odds:

American Odds (+/-)

+odds are for the underdog
    +xxx = the amount of money you will win if your selection wins on a bet of $100. (plus your stake back)
    i.e. You bet $100 on a +200 underdog. If it loses, you lose $100. If it wins, you win $200 (plus your $100 back).

-odds are for the favorite
    -xxx = the amount of money you must bet in order to win $100. (plus your stake back)
    i.e. You bet $300 on a -300 underdog. If it loses, you lose $300. If it wins, you win $100 (plus your $300 back)

European Odds (decimal)
    Anything under 2.00 = favorite
    Anything 2.00 or above = underdog.

Simply multiple your stake by the decimal odds to determine the payout.
    i.e. You bet $100 on a 2.50 underdog. If it loses, you lose $100. If it wins, you win $250. (which is really "winning" $150 plus your $100 stake returned).

i.e. You bet $400 on a 1.50 favorite. If it loses, you lose $400. If it wins, you win $600. (which is really "winning" $200 plus your $400 stake returned)

Specific outcome bets:
    Moneyline (ML) = fighter wins the match outright
    DEC = fighter wins via decision (judges cards)
    KO = fighter wins via knockout
    SUB = fighter wins via submission
    ITD = fighter wins via ko/dq/sub
    NSC = fighter wins with no scorecards (
    +3.5 = fighter wins in the distance OR loses within 3.5 points of his opponents totals. i.e. unanimous 29-28 = 3 point total differential
    -3.5 = fighter wins in the distance OR wins by greater than 3.5 point differential (see above)
    Round-Specific bets = fighter wins in the designated round
    Over/Under (O/U) = A wager on the length of the fight. i.e. O2.5 means the fight must go at least 2 minutes and 31 seconds into the 3rd round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.