Better to McDojo, or not train in the short-term?

Epyon

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I don't want to make the the backround story too long so I'll sum it up with: My current job blows, and I simply have no room budgetwise to train at the gym I WANT (a legitimate gym, with top quality BJJ/Boxing/MT/and MMA), especially with the holiday season coming up. Luckily, my career situation is quite likely to finally change in January. I figured it best to work on general fitness in the meantime, so at the very least, I can worry more about technique than getting in shape when I finally do get to train.

Today I get wind of a promotial deal, a local Karate school is doing, with 1 completely free MONTH of class, gi included. I'm kinda stoked, I have a potential chance to train for free, until I look up their website.. Children blackbelts, cheap-wooden boards getting their ass kicked, 70+ blackbelts, "sparring" with no contact, hands down/blatantly overextended example attacks, and the capper... a reference to "kicking like Chuck Norris" :icon_chee in their add. Basically, this place feels like a total and dreaded "McDojo".

I have two questions for you here Sherdog:

1. Ethical: Would I be a total dickhead for signing up for this class, with absolutely no intention of continueing past the free period? (as I'm looking to start at the gym I like as soon possible)
---and more importantly------
2.Practical: Will training at a place like this teach me things worth knowing in a month? Like, will I walk into the "real" gym with something useful in ACTUAL sparring?
OR, would going there expose me to an entire months worth of crap I have to "un-learn" before actually training.

So, is it better to McDojo now and train later? or ya know, just work out now, and train later?

Terrible idea. Just join a gym with a heavy bag and work on your strength and cardio in the meantime.

stay away and do your own thing. chances are critiquing yourself will do you more good than going to a dojo like that

What's wrong with you? You have a chance to learn how to kick like CHUCK NORRIS for free and you are turning it down!?!?!?

Just kidding, that sounds pretty bad. I'd stay far away and just work on your strength and conditioning.

Stay away. Better to start fresh at a good place than go in there with bad habits.

Back