Better ground game, Carlos condit or Anthony Pettis?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Grappleboxing, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Grappleboxing

Grappleboxing Brown Belt

Who has the better ground game, offensively and defensively in mma? Both are great strikers, but are also great bjj practioners.

1.Who has the more active guard?
    2. Who is best at submissions and sweeps?
    3.Who is better at returning to their feet?
    4. Who is the more well rounded grappler at this point in their career?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. Spoonman7

Spoonman7 Red Belt

Despite Pettis submitting Bendo, I would have to go with Carlos on all three of those. Shown very active guard with good sweeps and submissions over the years. Pettis is no slouch though

3. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

i think pettis, by far. i love condit but anthony's technique is much sharper.

4. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

They play different guard games.

Condit attacks a lot of kimuras and guillotines. Pettis is an armbar and triangle guy.

Both have strong guards, but imo Condit is more proven against guys with elite top games.

Also, Condit has a more 'vale tudo' style guard, as he throws a lot of strikes from the bottom.

5. Sedita**

Sedita** Green Belt

They both are excellent at what they do. I'd say they're equal in getting to their feet as it could be very hard to keep them down.

I'd say carlos because has a more offensive guard with strikes and sweeps.

Not to take away anything from pettis but I think condit is much harder to hold down

6. Grappleboxing

Grappleboxing Brown Belt

Interesting point about Condit facing better competition than Pettis. I completely agree with Condit having the better guard.

7. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

8. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Watch condit/ellenberger, condit/hendricks and condit's last fight with kampman. That's what an elite guard looks like.

9. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

'elite guard' come on son

10. JonSnitchPhones

JonSnitchPhones Beastin' 26/9

Condit may have faced tougher competition on average, but even with all those opportunities he probably hasn't subbed anyone as difficult to finish from the bottom as Bendo and Roller.

And look how many rounds he's been in, in his 9 UFC fights, none of which he's finished off his back. He's been in around 27 rounds. Pettis has only been in around 21 rounds in 11 Zuffa fights, 4 finished off his back. Condit has a couple solid finishes off his back in Zuffa, over Larson and Prater, but that's going all the way back to early WEC days, adding many more rounds. Then, Pettis finished Mike Campbell off his back too.

And who is on their back more? Pettis has better TDD than Condit.

Defensively, Pettis is on another level. He may have the best defensive guard in MMA. Like on the feet, he's barely taken any strikes in his career. Condit's defensive guard is pretty good, but he's taken some gnp over the years. He has more trouble keeping opponents in his guard and controlling wrists.

The answer is Pettis. It's only Condit if you're nostalgic. Pettis has evolved past him on the feet and the ground as the younger and more athletic guy. They are my two favorite fighters, but it's the truth. Pettis is next level MMA.

11. Pro Killer

Pro Killer Black Belt

I'd have to say Pettis, simply for the fact like someone else said, he's finished tougher opposition!

12. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Elite vale tudo guard, which was the whole fucking point of the guard to begin with.

Sorry if you think Condit's guard sucks because he doesn't go for enough berimbolos, which is clearly the indicator of a good guard. God forbid Condit's guard is *only* incredibly effective at preventing big shots from coming through.

13. JustinTime

JustinTime Green Belt

Both are incredible grapplers. Pettis' guard is more active and more offensive with submissions, but I think Condit is harder to hold down. The difference in skill is small, but I prefer Pettis' guard over Condit's.

14. Daveb

Daveb Purple Belt

I've trained with Carlos many times and his guard is ridiculous. Even in just bjj he is so active with his hips you can never get comfortable and set up a pass. He makes you constantly defend.

15. Spazzmaster

Spazzmaster Purple Belt

Condit's re-guarding and GNP prevention against GSP and Hendricks were superb.

16. richmFTW

richmFTW Blue Belt

I vote Pettis, Condit relies on alot more GNP on the ground