• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Better Director: Christopher Nolan vs David Fincher

?

• Christopher Nolan

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • David Fincher

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

I Fusion I

Everything you can imagine is real
@Brown
Reaction score
main-qimg-f3e1943bb3e6a5e8d50f1af435d5d011

fincher.jpg

Another two movies that they directed:

Mank (2020) - Fincher

Tenet (2020) - Nolan

After seeing the Cameron and Tarantino comparison, i decided to post this and compare two of the best and most successful director of this decade. Which one do you prefer overall? I see this as a close one as they did (objectively speaking) a lot of great films, good films and some minor projects.

Even though innovative as a storyteller and probably has a slightly wider range of what he can deliver, Nolan makes "safer" movies and he's a blockbuster guy.

Fincher is probably better at making "films as art", due to his shots and technical aspect, he's better in that sense I guess.

Both guys are incredibly talented and haven't compromised their principles at the long way. Proof that original works, if properly handled, can be critical and commercial successes.

I prefer Nolan's directing skills and films over Fincher's.

Last edited:
Nolan is the better director but his films are overrated as hell.

Fincher. 'Seven' is my alltime favourite movie I think, plus a few other good ones.

Nolan, I fiind too pretentious. I loved 'Memento' and 'Insomnia' was okay, but not great. The Batman movies were good, but fuck me, Inception and Tenet......too much for me sorry.

Villeneuve :)

I don't think he has a resume strong enough to compete with these two. Give him some years, consistency and the thing that is separating him from the greats is longevity. He just has to be this consistently good for the next decade and we can start putting him in that conversation. Nothing he's done so far leads me to believe he will be joining the greats such as Spielberg and Tarantino though.

He just needs to maintain his good streak and expand his catalogue, which he seems to be doing with Dune and then I think he can compare him to the likes of Cameron and Coens.

Last edited:
Fincher and i am a Nolanite.
Nolan is a monolith type director.
Fincher is a water type director.

Nolan you do tend to know what your getting from him, high concept thrillers.

Fincher shifts around more and I'm guessing more people probably love 1-2 of his films, for me The Game and Zodiac which I'd rate over any Nolan film.

Reactions: Zer
Didn't @Drain Bamage post a thread about this before. Where is that young whipper snapper lately??

Nolan you do tend to know what your getting from him, high concept thrillers.

Fincher shifts around more and I'm guessing more people probably love 1-2 of his films, for me The Game and Zodiac which I'd rate over any Nolan film.

The Game and Zodiac aren't in his top 3 films for me so no way they're better than Memento, Inception and TDK. Atleast for me

The Social Network, Se7en and Gone Girl are his best films, and i'd understand and agree regarding Se7en being better than Nolan's stuff. I just prefer TDK to it.

Last edited:
The Game and Zodiac aren't in his top 3 films for me so no way they're better than Memento, Inception and TDK. Atleast for me

The Social Network, Se7en and Gone Girl are his best films, and i'd understand and agree regarding Se7en being better than Nolan's stuff. I just prefer TDK to it.

Again personal taste but I'd guess I'm not alone in having 1-2 Finchers above the rest, his career has tended to shift around more than Nolans, if you like high concept thrillers then you'll probably like most of what he(Nolan) does.

Pretty easy one for me, as much as I love Interstellar and Memento, his other movies are good but are forgettable.

Fincher has made a better body of work, Seven, Alien 3, Gone Girl, Fight Club, The Game, Panic Room, Zodiac are much more memorable in terms of movie memories, that means much more to me than Batman.

Again personal taste but I'd guess I'm not alone in having 1-2 Finchers above the rest, his career has tended to shift around more than Nolans, if you like high concept thrillers then you'll probably like most of what he(Nolan) does.

It's debatable, you can make an argument for either way. And yeah, he has shifted but he has his own minor movies like Alien 3, Mank and Panic Room.

Nolan has Insomnia, Following and Tenet as the weakest movies he's done.

I personally see one as having a better work but not 2-3 above the rest, personally.

Nolan has the better movies by a long shot.

Fincher is more technically perfect though.

One of the flaws of Nolan's movies are that you can tell that certain scenes are filmed really fast. It leads to questionable looking acting and action scenes.

Fincher by far. Haven't been into Nolan at all since the days of The Prestige and Memento (Which admittedly were really good)

Back