Better career Nick or Nate?

I don't think it's nearly as cut and dry as a lot of the posters in this thread. It just sorta depends how you look at it. I could make a decent case for either guy.
<Fedor23>

Nick.

Better win. Gomi was number 1 lightweight when Nick beat Gomi back in the day.

Better competition. Fought GSP, Anderson, Gomi. He literally fought former top 1s in LW, WW, and MW. Though I guess Gomi fight was at 160.

Better accomplishments. Former WEC and strikeforce champion.

And Nick is a better fight too, in my opinion.
Nick didn't earn the right to fight gsp or silva lol.everyone knew he would lose those fights too.

Recency bias would say Nate, but Nick held the belts in two major organizations. Fought legends BJ Penn, GSP, Silva, Gomi...

Both had very memorable careers but the accolades go to Nick while the money went to Nate. Nate would have had to beaten Jorge and won a Conor trilogy to make it competitive, imho and could only really be valued as a better career if he had won the UFC title when he had the chance.

Nick has titles but Nate has better wins on his resume. Gomi was a top guy when Nick beat him, but that's pretty much the only one and by today's standards Gomi is just an undersized brawler. BJ Penn is still a good win but Penn is ultimately a lightweight first and foremost. Lawler was just an up and comer as was Nick at the time, Daley was a UFC reject, Noons was never a top guy and neither was Cyborg.

Nate on the other hand has beaten more top fighters: Gray Maynard, Donald Cerrone (though he wasn't top 5 at the time), Michael Johnson I believe achieved top 5 at that time, Conor McGregor, Anthony Pettis (not quite top 5 at the time but was coming off of a win over Wonderboy).

What’s a better win, Gomi or Conor?

Let’s call it a draw and all leave happy.

First thing I thought after Nate beat McGregor was how similar it was to Nick beating Gomi. Both brothers beat a World Champion and a guy on the P4P list in a non-title fight in spectacular fashion.

Diaz had poor management. He should’ve spent most of his career in Pride where he would’ve cleaned out the division and held that belt for years.

Nick has titles but Nate has better wins on his resume. Gomi was a top guy when Nick beat him, but that's pretty much the only one and by today's standards Gomi is just an undersized brawler. BJ Penn is still a good win but Penn is ultimately a lightweight first and foremost. Lawler was just an up and comer as was Nick at the time, Daley was a UFC reject, Noons was never a top guy and neither was Cyborg.

Nate on the other hand has beaten more top fighters: Gray Maynard, Donald Cerrone (though he wasn't top 5 at the time), Michael Johnson I believe achieved top 5 at that time, Conor McGregor, Anthony Pettis (not quite top 5 at the time but was coming off of a win over Wonderboy).
Daley was a better win than most of Nates wins

I love how you call him a UFC reject. He signed with the UFC and immediately scores two impressive KOs (one over Kampmann) before losing a no1 contender fight via lay n pray and then gets cut because of his post fight punch. He was literally one fight away from fighting GSP for the title. He lost, got cut, and then won 4 straight (including vs Masvidal) before losing to Nick

Not too mention the manner in which Diaz beat him. It's like submitting Maia, you get style points when you go in there and go toe to toe with a guy like Daley and take him out

Nick Diaz' resume:

#8 WW Jeremy Jackson
#13 WW Robbie Lawler
#1 LW Takanori Gomi
#10 WW Marius Žaromskis
#9 WW Paul Daley
#6 WW B.J. Penn

Nick Diaz has 6 top fifteen wins.

Nate Diaz' resume:

#8 LW Jim Miller
#10 LW Gray Maynard
#10 LW Michael Johnson
#1 FW Conor McGregor
#6 WW Anthony Pettis

Nate Diaz has 5 top fifteen wins.

Gomi, Penn, Daley, and Lawler > Nate's resume.

Ridiculous

Gomi is the most overrated fighter ever and BJ never won another fight after Nick.

Like NoSkillFap said, Nick was probably the better talent, Nate has better wins.

Nate beat Gomi too

Daley was a better win than most of Nates wins

I love how you call him a UFC reject. He signed with the UFC and immediately scores two impressive KOs (one over Kampmann) before losing a no1 contender fight via lay n pray and then gets cut because of his post fight punch. He was literally one fight away from fighting GSP for the title. He lost, got cut, and then won 4 straight (including vs Masvidal) before losing to Nick

Not too mention the manner in which Diaz beat him. It's like submitting Maia, you get style points when you go in there and go toe to toe with a guy like Daley and take him out

first sentence was BS

Daldy loses to Maynard 10/10

I think Jim Miller might beat Daley as well. Kurt Pellegrino too.

Daley was a very limited fighter.

Nate, and at this point it’s not even close.

And I will say that Nick got fucked by the athletic commission, for a drug that’s not even illegal.
But, even if Nick fought more in the UFC, he would’ve taken more losses. Stylistically, the top guys in the UFC aren’t going to play his game.

Nate became the bigger star, had the more high profile fights, made more money ans is more well known right now.
+1

They are prize fighters, the prize is money and Nate got a lot more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back