Beta blockers are they performance enhancing drugs?

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I take a beta blocker for mild blood pressure and anxiety and Ive noticed a huge increase in not my erections but my physical performance. Like i may be tired on the surface but when I exercise i csn go for longer while on them. Theyre used to slow the heart down and lower blood pressure. Im surprised no fighter has been busted for these but apparently theyre common in any sport that requires steady hands. Or would a beta blocker simply just be medication? Its not a controlled substance. Remember that famous russian drug meldonium? That shit was for heart issues but also a ped. Also it helps with anxiety too, it helps regulate andrenaline. So no andrenaline dumps, ive been interested because this drug metoprolol has helped me..

It as far as UFC and USADA, no they are not considered a PED

From https://www.usada.org/substances/prohibited-list/athlete-guide-2019-prohibited-list/

Substances Prohibited in Particular Sports
Some sports have additional rules about the use of beta-blockers. If participating in any of the following sports, please consult the current WADA Prohibited List orGlobalDRO.com before using beta-blockers.

P1. Beta-Blockers
Beta-blockers (including, but not limited to atenolol, bisoprolol, carvedilol, esmolol, labetalol, metoprolol, propranolol, sotalol, and timolol) are prohibited for the following sports:

• Prohibited at All Times (in-competition and out-of-competition): Archery, Shooting
  • Prohibited In-Competition Only: Automobile, Billiards, Darts, Golf, Skiing/Snowboarding in ski jumping, freestyle aerials/halfpipe and snowboard halfpipe/big air, and Underwater Sports as specified.

Beta blockers have been used in non-athletic sports like archery, chess, shooting, darts etc. to slow the heart rate. But they have some major side effects on athletic performance, weight gain, etc so wouldn't be of too much benefit to MMA (IMHO).

for some sports but I don't think they are for MMA. It probably only helps you by bringing your blood pressure undercontrol so your heart doesn't have to pump so hard. They are used as a PED in sports like shooting to blunt the effects of anxiety, (alcohol is also banned for that reason).

I've seen people faint in the gym who take beta blockers, especially overhead activities. If your beta blocker is lowering your heart rate to a degree where it can't keep up with physical stressors/demands you're placing upon your body......you're gonna have a bad time.

Not a great idea for MMA. Think of it this way......If you race cars for a living, why would you purposely put a tiny/shitty fuel pump in your car? You're only handicapping yourself.

Last edited:
I've seen people faint in the gym who take beta blockers, especially overhead activities. If your beta blocker is lowering your heart rate to a degree where it can't keep up with physical stressors/demands you're placing upon your body......you're gonna have a bad time.

Not a great idea for MMA.

Yep doing intense workouts while taking beta blockers is a bad bad idea for anyones health regarding your heart. You can literally die from it.

The side effects are that drastic that I would NEVER take them if my life wouldnt depend on taking especially as you condition your body after some time to only be able to control blood pressure by taking them.

Because of some mild high blood pressure I would never take this shit! Change of eating habits, workplace and social environment oversight ...etc there is a lot one can do to battle it.

sounds like they enhance your performance and it seems to be a drug so yes

if a person has high blood pressure and needs them to control it...there's nothing the commission can do...they are needed for health and well being...you can't regulate them...they are no peds...not at all...they control blood pressure...end of story.

if a person has high blood pressure and needs them to control it...there's nothing the commission can do...they are needed for health and well being...you can't regulate them...they are no peds...not at all...they control blood pressure...end of story.

If you need beta blockers you will not be able to be a professional or even amateur athlete in endurance intense sports like martial arts / running / football...etc. Just no way around it. Anaerobic training will be highly dangerous .Doing recreational sports no problem if its at a medium to lower intensity . Anything else is asking for a lot of health trouble pretty fast.

If I would need them sports like Golf or shooting /archery are recommendable.

I take a beta blocker for mild blood pressure and anxiety and Ive noticed a huge increase in not my erections but my physical performance. . So no andrenaline dumps, ive been interested because this drug metoprolol has helped me..

Looks like you are with some disorder/ ilness, doctor prescribed you this drug and ilness/ disorder effect on you decreased.
Then you assumed that not because ilness effect decreased you feel better, but ……
Remember that famous russian drug meldonium? That shit was for heart issues but also a ped.
This isn't shit. BTW it isn't banned anywhere for casual patients. Just in sport.
Performance this stuff didn't improve, there aren't any proof that it increase power.
However it might help better to recover etc. This too isn't warranted of course.
I don't think that it was worth to use it as ped at all.

-
If you use beta blocker, you should ask your doctor before physical acitivties and inform doctor about other drugs you use.
When you need another drugs for any reason, you should inform that you use beta blocker cos some prescription drugs doesn't go well if you use also beta blockers.
It's serious stuff, this metoprolol.

Looks like you are with some disorder/ ilness, doctor prescribed you this drug and ilness/ disorder effect on you decreased.
Then you assumed that not because ilness effect decreased you feel better, but ……

This isn't shit. BTW it isn't banned anywhere for casual patients. Just in sport.
Performance this stuff didn't improve, there aren't any proof that it increase power.
However it might help better to recover etc. This too isn't warranted of course.
I don't think that it was worth to use it as ped at all.

-
If you use beta blocker, you should ask your doctor before physical acitivties and inform doctor about other drugs you use.
When you need another drugs for any reason, you should inform that you use beta blocker cos some prescription drugs doesn't go well if you use also beta blockers.
It's serious stuff, this metoprolol.
Thanks for the advice but its the only thing that regulates my BP. I know if i become more active and eat better my Bp goes down but as of now and with stress i need it. Im thinking about taking a lower dose once i get back into shape and ultimately try to quit them. Its a hereditary type thing. Uncle died at 47 from heart failure in his sleep. Another uncle had bypass surgery etc. (Still going in his 60s) Beta blockers are there to protect the heart.

You copied my post incorrectly.

Metoprolol IS NOT meldonium. They are different drugs but a wrote about both cos you mentioned both medicaments.

Dosage for metoprolol must be changed only by doctor. This is serious medicament, used not only for hypertonia but also to threat some kinds of arythmic disorders.

metoprolol ISN't meldonium and isn't considered as a PED.
However metoprolol is prescribed for serious reasons, so you should ask doctor about physical activities etc.

If I recall they actually block your natural flight or fight adrenaline response too. That would lower your reaction times in a fight.

for physical sports I would say the a performance inhibitor , they slow your engine down , a bit like removing a turbo from a car in a race . thats what i found anyway .

always found myself more conscious of my heart beat when i took them, it was far slower and felt far harder ( probably in my head) Blood pressure was a little lower . I didnt like them, mine was for anxiety , vallium was far more effective .

Brilliant for using a sniper rifle, not so great for making a quick get away.......

Back