Best ways of getting back to standing when you have been taken down and controlled

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK i've ordered a good few of Chuck Liddell's fights because he supposedly is the best at getting back from ground to feet, but what are the best opportunities and ways?

For example im trapped by really good BJJ guy who has 50lbs of weight more than me in side mount, or mount. I want to get back to standing position. What would be the best way and techniques of getting back to standup?

If you are mounted by a heavier more technically skilled Grappler you have some major problems.If you try an Upa in this situation you will most likely be tasting the mat,You need to wait for this guy to makes a mistake to make a move. Be patient.

in that situation , you need to make him make a mistake.
giving him your back could seal your fate

A lot of people (including myself in the past) make the mistake of having the "all or nothing" mentality about escaping bad positions on the bottom. Honestly when mounted or side-mounted, expecting to get a reversal might be wishfull thinking against an experienced grappler.

So never forget that a simple methodical kneeing back in to the guard approach is the most effective. I would say always have two or three reveral attempts in mine, and go for a chain just like you would with subs. An example of this would be:

Oponent has cross-side control. Push him down on your hips and buck. He doesn't fly off, but in bucking you were able to slide an underhook under and try to pull out the bottom. He catches you before you can and brings his weight down on you. You have the underhook, so tunr sideways and quickly bring the knee under using the underhook to make the space. Now you have him in the guard and you can work for a sweep. Once you land a sweep, you have him mounted and you can stand up :)

Expecting to get from point Z to A will have you wearing yourself out and putting yourself in potentially SERIOUS Danger.
Remember that Liddell uses the "im willing to get hit trying to get up" approach and most of the time uses the cage wall.

Well let's just say on a mat, because i'd like to know how to get up in the middle of the ring also.

I'm going to assume you're primarily asking for MMA? Because submission wrestling and MMA can be a little different. Holding tight and waiting for a submission is quite different from trying to pound somebody. If you're not that experienced on the ground, a lot of methods are going to be hard to describe. If you dont know what shrimping is I'll try to describe in another post.

If you can get him into your guard, put your feet onto your hips and shove him away.

For side mount, your best bet is to shrimp your hips, turning into him and get onto your hands and knees. Standing from there won't be trivial but is pretty workable. I'd grab the single leg and stand, then let go of the single (cringe!).

From mount, reversing to in his guard is possible (particularly MMA), but safely standing from guard is going to be hard without some good ground and pound. Probably better for you to escape from mount to side mount (shrimping) and then work the same escape from there.

TheHighlander said:
I'm going to assume you're primarily asking for MMA? Because submission wrestling and MMA can be a little different. Holding tight and waiting for a submission is quite different from trying to pound somebody. If you're not that experienced on the ground, a lot of methods are going to be hard to describe. If you dont know what shrimping is I'll try to describe in another post.

If you can get him into your guard, put your feet onto your hips and shove him away.

For side mount, your best bet is to shrimp your hips, turning into him and get onto your hands and knees. Standing from there won't be trivial but is pretty workable. I'd grab the single leg and stand, then let go of the single (cringe!).

From mount, reversing to in his guard is possible (particularly MMA), but safely standing from guard is going to be hard without some good ground and pound. Probably better for you to escape from mount to side mount (shrimping) and then work the same escape from there.
Yes MMA, and btw there are no head strikes on the ground allowed only standing.

Get as much space as possible between you and your opponent, you can do this by exploding and pushing on their hips or on their biceps with your feet, as soon as you create distance, you got to be fast but you can get up right away.

Or, try sweeps.

You can try a technical lift with shooting the foot to back off your opponent.

Back