best way to beat a karate fighter

hockeyfacekilla**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know muay thai and will be fighting a karate 2nd degree black belt. if i were to keep it standing, what are his weak spots? his stance is a squat, one fist tucked and cocked near his hip and the other hand is about my diaphragm level. i have at least 2 inches on him. if i were to beat him standing up, it looks like i can get an easy leg kick or two, and the head looks really available. can someone tell me anything else i should know? i know he has rip cracking ability and breaks bricks and stuff to by the way.
thanks in advance

Pick him apart. Most (note most) of these guys are proficient one shotters from medium range. They tend not to do so well against moving jabs from someone who wants to stay on the outside. Leg kicks, and then working a tight clinch as opposed to the toe to toe slugfest he'll most likely be looking for.

Most karate type are looking for solid singles. If you pepper him with jabs and combos like a boxer or Muay Thai type you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't get sucked into fighting his fight.

He really fights with one hand on his hip ?? I can't imagine anyone fighting like this. There's a big difference between a kata stance and a fighting stance.

Close the distance and punch. The left hook and uppercuts will be very effective because he will probably have no idea how to defend against them (unless he's crosstrained). Leg kicks, knees, and most attacks from in close will confuse and frustrate him.

Yeah, leg and jab, circle, combinations, and knee in the clinch. Almost nobody is a "pure" fighter of one style. That low hand is a money punch waiting to happen, but if you make contact every time, like a leg kick, he won't throw it well. Also his low and sideways means he is a sidekicker. If he takes a shuffle step with it, just hit or move, but if he is one of the rare few who knows how to pop into it from a horse stance with no warning, then, well, keep your elbows in or he'll hurt your body.

go for the clinch, while inside go for knees and elbows. leg kicks are also an option. keep the fight moving, keep on pivoting.

reddragon454 said:
if it' kyoshukin karate you could be in for a war...

If it's Kyoshukin karate, then leg kick their hamstrings at every oppertunity and nail them with jabs and crosses to the head. If they've gotten a 2nd degree black belt they haven't been training punches to the head for the whole time.

ugh its quite annoying how every thread involving karate results in everyone fighting to be the first to mention kyokushin. i guess i shouldnt have opened it

According to which rules are you guys fighting? You said if "I was to keep it standing". Is it MMA? If you're Muai thai fighter I don t see how ground fighting may help you.
Since not much is clear, the only suggestion I have is to concentrate on punching distance as oppose to kicking distance a second degree BB will have a nasty kick, both low and high. Keep circling since most Karate guys come in direct one last thing karate does not allow punches to the head, so most likely he does not have the defense and reflex to protect himself. But like I said I don t know what the rules are so it s hard to say.

Hope it isn't Kyokushin. And engaging in a leg kicking war? ummm dont try that. If you have the slugging ability close the distance and essentially brawl, assuming his defence in regards to punches isn't top notch this will work well. Or like the other guy said, keep your distance and pick him off. Get your range right or he'll leg kick the shit out of you, keep a high guard and watch for the Muwashi Geri.

hockeyfacekilla said:
i know he has rip cracking ability and breaks bricks and stuff to by the way.
Are you seriously afraid of that? Most guys who train MT get a lot tougher than your average karateka.

meng_mao said:
Are you seriously afraid of that? Most guys who train MT get a lot tougher than your average karateka.
I don't want to get into a discussion on breaking and stuff, but you do realise that breaking hard objects is a skill that's a lot more than "being tuff"?

Most guys who train MT wouldn't dream of hitting a couple of inches of solid wood without gloves.

That's not what they train to do.

meng_mao said:

Dude, you are obviously another Karate Hater. Because lets say a Kyokushin Karateka may lack the rounded capability of a Muay Thai exponent but in regard to toughness? Id put my money on the KK guy anyday for that is one of the focusing points within that art.

reddragon454 said:
if it' kyoshukin karate you could be in for a war...

yea basically if its Kyokushin or other forms of "Freestlye" karate then treat your opponent like he is a Kick boxing or Mui Thai fighter b/c its practically the same.

dont forget Andy Hug and Semmy Schilt are(were in hugs case) Kyokushin fighters.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
I don't want to get into a discussion on breaking and stuff, but you do realise that breaking hard objects is a skill that's a lot more than "being tuff"?

Most guys who train MT wouldn't dream of hitting a couple of inches of solid wood without gloves.

That's not what they train to do.
Not that makiwara doesn't strengthen your fists/wrists and improve your technique, but how well does that translate to fighting? Breaking a brick does not equal getting in a good punch to the face or body.

My point is that someone who trains MT and spars frequently shouldn't be more afraid of the striking power of a karateka just because he can break boards.

Back