Best way to avoid/escape kimura setup while passing?

JJd2sc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When passing to side, say you get put in a kimura grip from the bottom. If you continue and try and take side body, they roll you over. What are some options for when they get that grip when you're passing? What is a good way to prevent that grip from happening in the first place?

if you get caught in kimuras while you are passing it means that your elbows are flaring out.

Yep, keep your elbows tight, don't let them get the kimura grip in the first place. If they grab it while you're already past their guard (settling into side control), then you need to go around them. It depends on which side they grab it on, but the most common side, you need to go to knee on stomach or mount. Then you can go to their other side and get the armbar if they don't let the kimura go. A little bit like matt hughes did in his win over st. pierre.

Keep your elbows in while passing. If you get caught, step over the head and spin to an armbar. (while they are still on their side before they get flat on their back again)

if u get to side control, and they don't let go of the kimura grip, i like to spin to the arm bar

You need to roll towards you are opponent and not away from them. If you roll towards them, you can get to your guard as opposed to your opponent rolling you back over for the kimura or the armbar possibly.

Even if you get caught in a kimura its a good setup to arm bar them(watch hughes GSP 1)

You can reverse it and kimura them. Damn, I wish I could show you how.

Back