Best title run in history

Consider this:

Jon's first 25 fights at LHW: 25-0 with 9 defenses
Aldo's first 25 fights at FW: 25-0 with 9 defenses

Yeah at that point it's a good case. Still have Jones higher cause that LHW division basically had four co champs IMO and was stacked but yeah good case. In hindsight I'd say Aldo's better P4P than GSP or AS. Also he's clearly better than Conor and Conor clearly ran to LW to avoid the rematch. Still happened though somethings you just can't unsee.

My point was just that he was 9-0 in title fights during his first reign, then he was stripped. He beat OSP for the interim title, then KO'ed DC to unify the belts. Then he was stripped again and just beat Gus to reclaim his title. Technically that's 3 separate title reigns if I'm not mistaken. I guess I'm just arguing semantics. I think GSP's second title reign beginning with Matt Hughes for the interim belt, unified vs. Matt Serra and then ending with his retirement after the Hendricks fight is equally impressive.
Yeah you’re arguing semantics. GSP got finished twice in his prime man. Jon bludgeoned the HW champion and destroyed a 6’5 freak athlete

This is like when publications post terrorism statistics prior to 9/11.
<36>

Aldo and GSP lost before their 30’s. Jon’s never lost lol.

Jon's only just reached the same altitude on Mount LHW as Aldo already reached on Mount FW years ago.

Only Aldo reached it younger.

And Mount FW is steeper.

giphy.gif

Yeah you’re arguing semantics. GSP got finished twice in his prime man. Jon bludgeoned the HW champion and destroyed a 6’5 freak athlete
Well if you put all his title victories together, then yes I agree he probably has the best run. I wasn't trying to shit on him with my original post lol. Also I don't think I'd call Gus a "freak athlete". Jones is the biggest freak in all of MMA IMO. Either him or Romero, but obviously Jones has had much more success as a mixed martial artist. I may throw TJ into that freak category as well.

Yeah at that point it's a good case. Still have Jones higher cause that LHW division basically had four co champs IMO and was stacked but yeah good case. In hindsight I'd say Aldo's better P4P than GSP or AS. Also he's clearly better than Conor and Conor clearly ran to LW to avoid the rematch. Still happened though somethings you just can't unsee.

It's definitely unforgettable.

Especially since before that point he'd become known as the best defensive fighter in the sport and then in a moment of madness threw his chin at Conor inside the first 15 seconds.

Still crazy any time you think about it.

Jon's only just reached the same altitude on Mount LHW as Aldo already reached on Mount FW years ago.

Only Aldo reached it younger.

And Mount FW is steeper.

giphy.gif
Hi I’m Rum and numbers are gay.

11-0 > 8-3

It’s elementary my dear boy

Attachments

• 7BDEEC89-9798-4A65-8D98-99EEB36878B3.png
    7BDEEC89-9798-4A65-8D98-99EEB36878B3.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
Jones has some names on that resume that are really undeserving of title shots. Aldo and Georges probably have toughest strengths of schedule. Jones has also lost his title multiple times for out of cage failures, which honestly, is so much worse than going out on your shield. Additionally, Georges is a champ-champ. He vacated his belt. He never lost it.

Most of his fights were vs former champs.Beats Rua in his late 20's people act like Rua was an old man when he beat him. Then beats Quinton Jackson the former Champ. Follows it up with win over a always scary Machida who was 17-2 and former champ. Beats a 17-2 Rashad Evans also former champ, TRT Belfort former champ. DC one of the GOATs 2x and always dangerous fighter Gus 2x. OSP and Glover are his only wins that aren't considered elite fighters. I honestly think Jones by far has faced the toughest opponents comparing his run with GSP, Aldo or Anderson Silva. Jones makes people look so bad sometimes, you forget how good they are vs everyone else.

Most of his fights were vs former champs.Beats Rua in his late 20's people act like Rua was an old man when he beat him. Then beats Quinton Jackson the former Champ. Follows it up with win over a always scary Machida who was 17-2 and former champ. Beats a 17-2 Rashad Evans also former champ, TRT Belfort former champ. DC one of the GOATs 2x and always dangerous fighter Gus 2x. OSP and Glover are his only wins that aren't considered elite fighters. I honestly think Jones by far has faced the toughest opponents comparing his run with GSP, Aldo or Anderson Silva. Jones makes people look so bad sometimes, you forget how good they are vs everyone else.
Fedors resume is so bad people leave him out of these discussions on instinct lmao

Fedors resume is so bad people leave him out of these discussions on instinct lmao

Huge Fedor fan, he had some big wins vs top notch fighters in his run. But he also had decent amount of filler guys who couldn't crack UFC top 10.

Huge Fedor fan, he had some big wins vs top notch fighters in his run. But he also had decent amount of filler guys who couldn't crack UFC top 10.
I like the guy, PRIDE is just overrated in comparison to modern MMA. Regardless, Jones clearly has the best resume in MMA. As you pointed out, most of his opponents were in their prime.

Consider this:

Jon's first 25 fights at LHW: 25-0 with 9 defenses (effectively ... I count Hamill & DC2 as wins)
Aldo's first 25 fights at FW: 25-0 with 9 defenses

Difference is Aldo was operating in one of the deepest divisions in the sport, with beast after beast coming at him, while Jon is in one of the weakest divisions. LHW doesn't have anyone aside from Jon and DC who is on the level of Conor, Max, Mendes, Lamas, Edgar, KZ.

Aldo's 10th defense was against Conor McGregor. Jon's will be against Anthony Hamilton. Says it all really.

UFCDivisional-Depth2.png

Heights4.jpg
Looking at this, it's clear - BJ Penn is the GOAT

• Shogun on a 1-win streak and off knee surgery. Remember how bad he looked last time he came back from knee surgery, struggling horribly against 798 yo mostly retired Coleman?
  • Jackson on only a 2-win streak and deep into the "Please don't wrestle me" phase of his career.
  • Machida on a 1-2 skid with no relevant wins in the previous two years, his only recent victory over 894 yo Randy.
  • Vitor, a "former champ" eight years prior due to a fluuuuuuke eye scratch against a guy who annihilated him both other times they fought. Vitor, a LHW challenger with ZERO experience against 205 opponents for HALF A DECADE and ZERO relevant wins over LHWs for 12 years.
  • Chael, who lolololololololololololol
But sure, you "honestly think Jones by far has faced the toughest opponents"
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:
That was shot knees shogun... shogun lost a step by the time he got to ufc.

This was a great case. IMO Aldo's better than GSP and AS.

Then he got finished by Conor.
Which leaves GSP as the last man standing. Again.

He always wins these discusions because he is the real UFC GOAT and Champ Champ.

Aldo is awesome, but the OPKO is a black mark. Silva is awesome, but losing back to back vs Weidman is also a black mark.

Jones has 2 or 3 big fat black marks. (4 if you count the pregnant woman twice).

No one can dispute the results of Jon's fights. What's in dispute in GOAT discussions is what (if any) effect his positive tests have on the outcomes of the fights.

Also, don't re-write history on Jon's loss. Yeah, it sucks but he ain't a "and 0". Asterisk it all you want however.

It's about the same as those that now conveniently forget Floyd Mayweather's draw in his perfect record. The guy is unbeaten, but unfortunately he didn't go 50 out of 50. Again, I personally disagreed with the decision, but I just sat in a bar drinking through the match and my opinion mattered the same and everyone else in the world but the three people that mattered.

• Shogun on a 1-win streak and off knee surgery. Remember how bad he looked last time he came back from knee surgery, struggling horribly against 798 yo mostly retired Coleman?
  • Jackson on only a 2-win streak and deep into the "Please don't wrestle me" phase of his career.
  • Machida on a 1-2 skid with no relevant wins in the previous two years, his only recent victory over 894 yo Randy.
  • Vitor, a "former champ" eight years prior due to a fluuuuuuke eye scratch against a guy who annihilated him both other times they fought. Vitor, a LHW challenger with ZERO experience against 205 opponents for HALF A DECADE and ZERO relevant wins over LHWs for 12 years.
  • Chael, who lolololololololololololol
But sure, you "honestly think Jones by far has faced the toughest opponents"
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Can do same thing with any fighter, do that with GSP's wins and none have same pedigree, but also throw in a Serra loss and a Hendricks gift. Shoguns loss was to Machida, Jacksons most recent loss came from Evans. Evans only loss came from Machida. They where just a bunch of really good competitive fighters trading wins and losses. Don't get me started on Belfort, TRT Belfort was a beast and no one wanted to fight him. He was 7-1 in his last 8 with only loss to Silva. Of course you didn't mention DC who no one has ever beaten except Jones 2x. Who has beaten a higher level of competition the Jon Jones?

Back