• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best things to see in Michigan?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Planning to take a road trip in the summer through Michigan. (Basically going Toronto --> Sault Ste. Marie --> Detroit --> Toronto)

We like hikes/natural settings, but we have 4 kids under 7 so nothing too challenging.

What are Michigan's must-see attractions?

rs-181988-77509686.jpg

View attachment 986254

jokes aside, for me it would probably be the lakes. They are quite beautiful. Mighigan borders 4 of the 5 "great lakes" and also has some nice lakes inland

If lakes are your thing then visit torch lake. But not july 13-16 because I will be there and I want the place to myself. If you do end up over near Torch, then traverse city and sleeping bear dunes are right around the corner.

The upper peninsula of Michigan is loaded with awesome waterfalls. Most are not near the I75 corridor so you would have to travel west to see the good ones

I grew in Toronto, and worked in Ann Arbor, MI for several years so I have some insight into Michigan that might be relevant.

First of all, outside of Flint and Detroit, you will find that Michiganders take care of their properties. If you drive across the state, you won't find rural places and working class areas, with dead cars in their yards and overgrown lawns -- like in most of the rest of the US. This is something that I always found interesting.

If you are driving to SSM, and crossing at Detroit, you might swing by Ann Arbor. THere is a lot of construction but the downtown has a nice vibe as does the UMich State street area. Check out Frita Batitidos for some amazing street food, or Zingerman's if you can afford a $18 sandwich.

The West side of the state has Traverse City/Petosky which is a little like Gravenhurst/Muskoka but not really. This where the mid century rich people from Detroit would go on weekends. They are active cities that have a large summer vacation crowd. AS mentioned before Sleeping Bear Dunes is a very cool state park that has 400ft cliffs that go to lake Michigan. Don't be a pussy, do the dune hike.

On the way to SSM you should stop to see Mackinaw city. It's a bit schlocky like Wasaga beach but your kids would probably like it.

The UP (upper peninsula) is like northern Ontario. Not very populated but absolutely beautiful especially if head to the north shores of Lake Superior.

If you have any questions, hit me up.

A jauntily stroll through the toughest parts of Detroit will give you street cred.

I spent 13 weeks in the UP on a work contract. It's beautiful up there on Lake Superior. Check out the Northern lights.

Since you're going through the Soo, your kids will get a kick at the Locks watching the 1000 footers raise and lower.

I worked for a total of probably 6 months at different times in Michigan but never got to see much outside of Novi and Detroit. You need to get up by the lakes and Traverse city for all the nature stuff, but it wasn't a huge draw for me because we have almost the same scenery where I'm at in MN.

Back