Best Place to Stab Someone and Not Kill Them?

No resistance and lots of arteries, veins, and even a lung are there.
can-stock-photo_csp7928419.jpg

But to aim for such a small spot in a life and death situation is senseless.

thanks, I didn't know it was such a sensitive spot but yeah it's just hard to aim I guess

If you use a knife in self-defense, even if you "tried not to kill your aggressor", you will have still used lethal force. When you decide to defend yourself with a lethal weapon, there is no middle ground. If they don't immediately fuck off when they see the weapon, kill them or at least try as much as you can until they do fuck off.

This...might as well kill them. The difference is the same as the difference between murder and attempted murder...in the first case, you can take the stand and testify about how the other guy was going to kill you unless you stabbed him to death. Or, the guy with the huge stab wound in his arm can testify about how you overreacted when he asked you for a ride....

Carl Spackler Knife School

Carl Spackler said:
What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

Srsly, non-lethal SD options include pepper spray, stun gun, blast siren, and baton.

Carl Spackler Knife School

Srsly, non-lethal SD options include pepper spray, stun gun, blast siren, and baton.

Don't forget the disorienting merits of a good high intensity LED flashlight with strobe function.

What is the safest place to stab someone in a self-defense scenario where you feel that your life is being threatened?

Ideally, it would incapacitate them and it would most likely be with a 3" pocket knife.

Just curious, as I carry a pocket knife with me most of the time for general utility, but I also assume that it would be a last resort self defense weapon if ever needed. I realized today that I don't really know where you should stab someone to incapacitate but not kill them.

I suggest learning techniques and strategies from a knife fighting martial art before considering lethal vs non lethal strikes.

You will be surprised how little time you have to think and how hard your opponent will try to give you a lethal strike.

I cannot imagine any reason why you will be stabbing someone without the intent of killing them. Just like shooting someone, you don't shoot to injure or maim, you shoot to kill. Or taking it back to hunters ed when i was about 10, never point your gun at anything you dont intend to kill.

I cannot imagine any reason why you will be stabbing someone without the intent of killing them. Just like shooting someone, you don't shoot to injure or maim, you shoot to kill. Or taking it back to hunters ed when i was about 10, never point your gun at anything you dont intend to kill.

In hunting you may be right. In self defense you shot to stop a threat. It just so happens that to easiest way to stop a threat is to either cut off it's electronics (brain), hydraulics (heart), or frame (pelvis), any of which also carry the highest likelihood of death.
To be clear, when one shoots in self defense their primary purpose is not to kill but stop a life threaten aggressive action.

Last edited:
Disagree. I won't shoot at ANYTHING I don't intend to kill. You shoot centermass for a reason, yes to stop the attack but when I squeeze the trigger I have full expectations and understand the possible repercussions and reasons for me squeezing that trigger. If I already know that when I shoot someone it will be in the chest than I already expect to take their life. I won't even pull my gun if this is an unacceptable outcome. This applies in self defense and combat for me.

Disagree. I won't shoot at ANYTHING I don't intend to kill. You shoot centermass for a reason, yes to stop the attack but when I squeeze the trigger I have full expectations and understand the possible repercussions and reasons for me squeezing that trigger. If I already know that when I shoot someone it will be in the chest than I already expect to take their life. I won't even pull my gun if this is an unacceptable outcome. This applies in self defense and combat for me.

Combat and Self Defense are not the same.
This rhetoric has been tested time and time again. Ask ANY firearms instructor outside of the DoD and see what their answer is.
"shoot to kill" shows murderous intent. "shoot to stop" shows your intent is to stop a threat, and in nearly all self defense laws on the books, one can only use enough force to stop the threat.

Last edited:
Combat and Self Defense are not the same.
This rhetoric has been tested time and time again. Ask ANY firearms instructor outside of the DoD and see what their answer is.

I understand self defense, escalation of force etc, however:

My questions to you:

If you have to shoot someone in self defense, where will you be aiming?

In this location that you are aiming, are the chances high that it could be a kill shot?

So in essence do you expect to kill your assailant prior to pulling the trigger?

I do.

Last edited:
I understand self defense, escalation of force etc, however:

My questions to you:

If you have to shoot someone in self defense, where will you be aiming?

In this location that you are aiming, are the chances high that it could be a kill shot?

So in essence do you expect to kill your assailant prior to pulling the trigger?

I do.

I shoot center mass. Why? It is the largest area of the body, so I am likely to hit my target. It also houses organs that, if struck, will stop the threat immediately. Do I expect the person to die? No, I do not EXPECT it. Could they? Sure. I am not of the "shoot to wound" school. I am of the "shoot to stop" school.
So in essence, I do not care if I mortally wound or miss every major organ AS LONG AS THE THREAT IS STOPPED.
SIDENOTE:
If you want to continue I don't mind at all, but we should start a new thread or see if we can find an old one to bring up.

Last edited:
I shoot center mass. Why? It is the largest area of the body, so I am likely to hit my target. It also houses organs that, if struck, will stop the threat immediately. Do I expect the person to die? No, I do not EXPECT it. Could they? Sure. I am not of the "shoot to wound" school. I am of the "shoot to stop" school.
So in essence, I do not care if I mortally wound or miss every major organ AS LONG AS THE THREAT IS STOPPED.
SIDENOTE:
If you want to continue I don't mind at all, but we should start a new thread or see if we can find an old one to bring up.

Exactly. Center mass, while they may not die or you may not EXPECT it, you can be a realist and know that they very well may.

Do you carry? If so, have you ever had to shoot someone? Probably not. I carry and I have never had to shoot someone in the U.S. I know loads of folks with CHL's, I know Lots of lawdogs and agents, most of those have never had to shoot someone. Hell, many of them have never even had to pull their weapons, especially the civilian CHL guys.

If you are put in a situation so serious that you have to not only pull your gun, but also squeeze the trigger, you better believe that you are in a situation that is your life or his.

I don't know if you've even seen someone shot, but with adrenaline going alone, (not to mention the drugs or alcohol that someone is probably on to do something that requires them to get shot) it doesn't matter where you shoot them it may take more than one shot. I have seen this personally, several times.

So you can say shoot until the threat is no longer, that I have no issue with. Just be prepared because in stopping the threat, I think stopping a life. That may not be EXPECTED but can easily, realistically be the outcome.

Maybe you are a lawyer and hung up on the wording I use, but this is just real talk, not liberal or courtroom jargon, Oh I shot him until he was no longer stabbing my wife in the face, then I performed first aid and helped EMT's load him in the Amber Lamps.

Do you think the Miami Police shot the Zombie until he was no longer a threat. I promise you they did not. He was eating somones face, they shot his ass to kill his ass. Like I said, if you have to shoot, you are in a pretty bad situation and it will be to defend your life or someone else's.

"Mortally wound" sounds like kill to me; miss every major organ and he is probably still coming at you, or perhaps still shooting at you. STILL SHOOTING AT YOU, are you trying to merely stop the threat, he is trying to KILL you.

BTW, not sure if you have experienced combat either, but its not far off from self defense anymore, or similar to police work. Maybe 8 or 9 years ago it was the wild west and we could do what we needed to, but things like Guantanamo and media have put an end to that. So its patrolling until you get shot at and reacting, much like simple self defense, or "reacting to contact". So don't tell me the differences unless you have experienced these things.

I don't care if you start a new thread or move on with your life. But this original thread makes no sense, where to stab someone to not kill them. When will you ever stab someone and not be charged? Maybe castle doctrine. But on the street even if you are jumped or in a fight and you pull a knife you will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon and probably with intent to KILL or maybe attempted manslaughter. A knife fight? Stupid, if someone has a knife you better run or pull your gun. Once you pull that, they will probably not want any. If they do, I hope you shoot quick, with accuracy and until the threat is neutralized, knowing you probably just killed the bastard.

Keep in mind I'm not shooting to kill, but I can expect him dead, thats why I am shooting him in the first place. In other words, I will not tag him extra times to finish him off. Or run up and put one in the dome execution style. But if I shoot someone center mass, killing them is expected. Do I want him dead, no, I don't want anyone dead.

Escalation of force, once you have to pull the trigger better count on taking his life. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
if their back is turned to you, if you stab at a really low point in their spine you would paralyze their legs but they have a chance of survival. right?

if their back is turned to you, if you stab at a really low point in their spine you would paralyze their legs but they have a chance of survival. right?
Interesting choice in first post

Back