Best open guard passing techniques?

fittafeis

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What are your best open guard passes? any suggestions to videos that show really "high percentage" OG passes?

thanks in advance

I'm currently concentrating on three pretty basic open guard passes, each with a 'plan B':

1a. Knee-drop from combat base (pin same-side leg with knee). Get head control and back-step/switch hooks to pass. 1b. If unable to get head control, or if opponent pushes knee, take underhook and come inside with other knee to cut across.

2a. Pin opponent's shin with opposite shin (alternatively, pinch his calf in half guard) and underhook other leg. Cross body with head, control bottom knee and pursue over/under pass. 2b. If opponent stiff-arms head or hip to stop the pass, get up on toes and smash-pass to other side, bringing chest to opponent's chest.

3a. Leg weave/leg hug pass. 3b. Switch sides as opponent blocks head.

I've been doing the torreando to reverse KOB with some success against a standard open guard with feet on the hips. Landing in the reverse KOB feels alot more natural than the cross step.

BTW are you having trouble with a specifc open guard? That term can be pretty broad.

I've been doing the torreando to reverse KOB with some success against a standard open guard with feet on the hips. Landing in the reverse KOB feels alot more natural than the cross step.

BTW are you having trouble with a specifc open guard? That term can be pretty broad.

Interesting... how do you transition from reverse KOB to some other form of top control? I end up in this reverse KOB position a lot, but I have trouble transitioning to something I feel more comfortable/stable with.

Interesting... how do you transition from reverse KOB to some other form of top control? I end up in this reverse KOB position a lot, but I have trouble transitioning to something I feel more comfortable/stable with.

When they try to push your knee off just drop into reverse kesa gatame and from there a transition to a more traditional side control is pretty easy. Also if they don't defend the reverse KOB just switch the regular KOB.

I've been combining Knee Slice pass with the xpass/leg drags. Works pretty well.

What are your best open guard passes? any suggestions to videos that show really "high percentage" OG passes?

thanks in advance

Ken Primola has some good open guard passes on youtube.com.

Im at work so I cant link it though.

method=get&s=mark-hunt.gif

Marcelo teaches some awesome open guard passes in mginaction.com.

He teaches to always begin your pass standing, and trying to keep the person's back flat on the mat.

There are several passes he really likes:

1) Knee slide pass
2) X-Pass variation
3) Forcing half guard and working a smashing type pass (known as the "over/under" pass" in mginaction, and a turning pass when you don't have the underhook.

His passing abilities is often overlooked. He has some of the best passes in the world.

I've been combining Knee Slice pass with the xpass/leg drags. Works pretty well.

I love this combo as well. Either move elicits a reaction from your opponent that is conducive for the other pass.

Back