Best non custom mouth guards / gum shields

KORPSELA

White Belt
Reaction score
Well the title says it all. What are the best mouth guards you can buy straight out of the shelve? Shockdoctor or something else?

My guess is they are all pretty much equal as far as protection and comfort. I used to use a brain pad which sucked. Pretty much every non custom I've ever used sucked. If my mouth was open it would fall out. This goes for shock doctor, brain pad and every cheap big 5 bnb I've tried.

For only $80 you can get a Gladiator-it is worth the investment.

Too bad I'm in Europe :(. There are no good/cheap vendors here that I know of.

I have good luck with the shock doctor staying on with my mouth open. It seems to fit very well. Dont get me wrong, as soon as I get a few more things on my "to get list" I will be getting one of the big named professional fit ones, or maybe get one made from my dentist.

I used a Brainpad pro-plus boil-and-bite, and it served me well. It does tend to fall out if you open your mouth but that's partly due to the design (dual upper/lower).

I used to use this guard for training, I just got a fitting done from Sportsmouthguards.ca so I'm not going to be using it anymore. It's as good as a bite me can get. I was able to semi-talk with it in and it never fell out of my open mouth.

Also off the subject. Which do you guys prefer, double or single guards?

I think double gives you more protection, but they feel huge in my mouth. Like I'm rolling around with my mouth full. Took awhile to get used to. I also learned to breathe in through my nose unless I'm super winded.

Double for non-custom guards for sure. Brainpad makes the best doubles, imho.

For $65.00 I can manufacture you a custom mouth guard. Check out my site at www.customguards.net. If you live in Colorado I will come to your gym and take the impression. Good luck finding a boil and bite that will work for you, as stated before they're not worth the effort.

I was a dental technician and approximately 6 months ago I started customguards.net which I manufacture custom mouth guards. I also fight so I know what works and what doesn't. It is correct that the double does protect better but the problem is that with a double you tend to open your mouth to get more air in because of the reduction of air flow. This causes the low jaw to drop which we all know that this is why people get knocked out. For MMA an upper is more efficient because it stays locked in while you breath so you do not have to worry about your lower jaw. When you are dealing with online companies make sure you do your home work first and ask the right questions. The most important question you can ask is how many layers of EVA do they use and also whether they take a lower impression. It is very important that the company takes the lower impression so that the mouth piece will fit snug in your lower teeth. If you have any questions please email me, I want sell you on my product but I will give you an honest opinion.

Thanks for the offer but I live 5000 miles away from Colorado so that will be a bit of a problem :D

Well the title says it all. What are the best mouth guards you can buy straight out of the shelve? Shockdoctor or something else?

Shockdoctor Power Gel Ultra. I have never had it come out in Judo, BJJ or Boxing. I had to boil it three times and really work it to get it to fit the way I wanted it. It is tight enough that it hurts when I first put it in.

I have used Shockdoctor Power Double for a couple of years now. If fitted right, it will not fall out.

I replace them about every 6-10 months, wearing them about an hour or more five days a week. I replace them due to an inevitable bend in one specific section of the guard, which creates discomfort for my gums in that region. It is likely caused by that tooth being slightly out of line.

t_588.jpg

Never saw a reason for the higher end stuff.

I got the basic Shock Doctor singnle one, seems to work ok, and molds well so I don't seem to have problems with fit that other people mention.

When I played rugby a lot more seriously when I was younger, I had a custom one, those things FEEL meaty compared to the "boil and bite" ones, I think id definitely feel better protected with one lol. Still, as others have said, so many damn things on the "to get" list :(

If you are serious about training the most important piece that should be on top of the "to buy" list is the custom mouthguard.

how i think about it man, is how much are your teeth worth? spend 130 bucks on a custom or spend 3-5gs on a new set of teeth?

how i think about it man, is how much are your teeth worth? spend 130 bucks on a custom or spend 3-5gs on a new set of teeth?
I never thought I'd get a custom piece done, but you've just convinced me. Plus I like having teeth, and seeing Frank Lester get his smashed in on TUF was a horror story

I seriously doubt they were his real teeth. Definitely a bridge--I would bet the show outright stated it.

Back