Best no-gi Jiu-Jitsu Instructionals

systema

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just picked up the first series of Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu-Jitsu revolution, which so far has been fantastic and I am going to get the second series when I get paid again. I'd also like to know of some great no-gi DVDs out there that teach all the positions and how to pull off submissions and reversals w/o the aid of a kimono. Seems like Eddie Bravo gets alot of credit for his no-gi BJJ instruction but I don't know that he has full series available teaching every position besides his guard. Thanks for all the help!

I just checked out some of his stuff. Would Series #1 be the best starting point? Looks like at least one of his DVDs is with a kimono and the rest are not. I am definitely looking for something for the beginner.

If you're looking for beginner stuff then stay away from Eddie Bravos stuff. Start with No-Gi made easy by Mike fowler/lloyd irvin

I just checked out some of his stuff. Would Series #1 be the best starting point? Looks like at least one of his DVDs is with a kimono and the rest are not. I am definitely looking for something for the beginner.

you would probably be better off at least getting a month membership for mginaction.com

there are so many techs in there both gi an no gi. only like $25 for a month

but specifically nogi for a beginner i would say serra has a good set that covers all the basics and it is nogi

51rvB33GEiL.jpg

This is my next purchase.

Saulo Ribeiro has excellent nogi instructional set called 'freestyle revolution'

roy dean's nogi, saulo's freestyle, and ryan hall's triangle are all excellent and as a 'collection' should give you more than enough to work with for a looong time. marcelo's dvd's are pretty cool, but a little more scattered, imo. i would recommend his xguard book as it includes an excellent butterfly section.

his site however, seems awesome, but my trial expired a while ago and i've already got so much to work on, it'd be counterproductive to keep getting distracted by new stuff.

go to marcello garcia's website....

Agree, the best no gi instruction I've seen is on MGinaction.com , between the instruction, the sparring videos, the cross referencing; the whole format is absolutely amazing and easy to learn from.

Reilly Bodycomb's Sambo leglocks for no gi grappling (Keep an eye out for Dynamic Entry!, coming soon) if you want to be a leglocking demigod.

All of Marcelo Garcia's DVD's are great, Ryan Hall's Triangle and 50/50 DVD's have excellent instruction with great insight into little details.

Interesting. I would throw my support behind Mr. Dean's instructional here if he focused on the defensive aspects of Jiu-Jitsu before hitting all the awesome reversals and submissions. That's the aspect I love about Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University book: he starts out at the "white belt" level just going through defensive postures for every position (full mount, back mount, half and full guard, and everything in between) and then he gradually moves onto submissions and sweeps. If there existed a DVD/no-gi version of Saulo's method then methinks it would fly off the shelves.

Roy's Blue Belt requirements cover the white belt stuff. All the escapes will work in nogi.

1. mginaction.com
2. roy dean
3. ryan hall

these are just from what i've seen and used.

Interesting. I would throw my support behind Mr. Dean's instructional here if he focused on the defensive aspects of Jiu-Jitsu before hitting all the awesome reversals and submissions. That's the aspect I love about Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University book: he starts out at the "white belt" level just going through defensive postures for every position (full mount, back mount, half and full guard, and everything in between) and then he gradually moves onto submissions and sweeps. If there existed a DVD/no-gi version of Saulo's method then methinks it would fly off the shelves.

bluebelt_cover2.jpg

I'm a big fan of Roy Dean. I have these too. :D

Does the roy dean no gi contain basics like: if he's on mount you want stop him from posturing. This is how you break his posture. From here you can etc... basics about positioning, not just subs?

Same question for saulo ribirios freestle revolution. Does he talk about position both defensive and offensive?

Back