Best MMA gyms in Japan that can produce UFC contenders?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Are there any top level MMA gyms in Japan that produce world class talent that can do well in the UFC?

I remember pancrase and Shooto as well as Shootfighting. This was before UFC started and so they already had hybrid combat sports like shootboxing which is similar to San Shou.

What about now, what's going on with the MMA scene in Japan?

Mejiro gym in Amsterdam was kyokushin inspired style of kickboxing that the Dutch adopted in their Muay Thai.

Number one Croatian fighter.

stipe_miocic_cro_jersey.jpg

The only Japanese fighters currently outside the UFC that I think would do well or okay in the UFC are Kai Asakura, Mikuru Asakura, Hiromasa Ougibuko, Kana Watanabe and Yuya Wakamatsu.

I might be forgetting a couple of fighters.

I'd say Russia is the country to really watch. There's a ton of talent coming from Russia, and not just the Caucusus region

I'd say Russia is the country to really watch. There's a ton of talent coming from Russia, and not just the Caucusus region

Russia are there already, there's probably 100 Russians that are UFC standard, but the UFC doesn't want the roster to be full of Russians.

Russia are there already, there's probably 100 Russians that are UFC standard, but the UFC doesn't want the roster to be full of Russians.

What combat sport are they are from?

What I mean is, are they MMA fighters with kickboxing or Sambo as their base?

What combat sport are they are from?

What I mean is, are they MMA fighters with kickboxing or Sambo as their base?

Various, wrestling, sambo, boxing, kickboxing, bjj.

The only Japanese fighters currently outside the UFC that I think would do well or okay in the UFC are Kai Asakura, Mikuru Asakura, Hiromasa Ougibuko, Kana Watanabe and Yuya Wakamatsu.

Considering how much money UFC is saving on top talent at 125lbs, I think there are a good number of Japanese fighters who could do well or ok in that weighclass.

They've just released Formiga...to add to the long list of good FLWs they've released or passed by in recent years.

Apart from Horiguchi, Asakura, Ougikubo and Wakamatsu, I also think Motoya and Ishiwatari would have a solid chance to drop there and do well. If Im not mistaken, Ulka Sasaki managed to break the rankings at FLW and all the aforementioned are better than him.

Kanako Murata, who just won her debut fight at UFC, I think will thrive at 115lbs

Considering how much money UFC is saving on top talent at 125lbs, I think there are a good number of Japanese fighters who could do well or ok in that weighclass.

They've just released Formiga...to add to the long list of good FLWs they've released or passed by in recent years.

Apart from Horiguchi, Asakura, Ougikubo and Wakamatsu, I also think Motoya and Ishiwatari would have a solid chance to drop there and do well. If Im not mistaken, Ulka Sasaki managed to break the rankings at FLW and all the aforementioned are better than him.

Kanako Murata, who just won her debut fight at UFC, I think will thrive at 115lbs

Can't remember if Sasaki was ranked or not, but I think he's decent anyway.

Flyweight is definitely the division (apart from womens featherweight which I don't really count) which has the highest % of top level fighters currently outside the UFC.

Horiguchi

Back