• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Karate Ruleset Transition to MMA

Hahaha. I sorta get what you're saying regarding "osu osu cult," but can you expand on this more? I'd love to have it spelled out for me. Sorry.

Any traditional martial art, such as any that includes bowing, is an "osu osu cult," right? Is there something about the IKO or Kyokushin as whole that makes it more so than other traditional arts? Isn't Daido Juku also an "osu osu cult" as well, having been derived from Kyokushin?

Osu Osu cult meaning - constant osu'ing inside & outside the dojo to a point that it feels excessive. I knew I had an issue when I was osu'ing my instructor over the phone lmao. But you say it so much in the dojo it leaks out into life outside of it.

Nah I don't mind the bowing or hand shaking aspects - even though we never really did that (only hand shaking and mokuso at the end of a class). I actually enjoyed the handshaking and especially the mokuso at the end of the class.

It's not an IKO1 specific thing but more of a general Kyokushin thing. I've tried a lot of styles over the years - the osu'ing in kyokushin is very excessive compared to other styles. I mean I've done Judo - and it's not really a thing. It is in BJJ which is weird as fuck.

Daido Juku there's not much osu'ing tbh - there's the mokuso at the end that's it.

On a side note - Daido Juku is it's own thing right now. It's more akin to amateur MMA in a gi than kyokushin. The only aspect that reminds me of kyokushin is the kihon - that's about it.

This is very interesting, thank you. Is there a new name for the new rules as well? Like knockdown-2 or something?

Not that I know of - maybe @destroyer4147 can chime in.

The rules are specific to the IKO1 at the moment - imo I prefer them to general knockdown rules.

Rules:

osu'ing in kyokushin is very excessive compared to other styles. I mean I've done Judo - and it's not really a thing. It is in BJJ which is weird as fuck.
Wait, what?
I did BJJ briefly and did not hear a single osu ever.

The rules are specific to the IKO1 at the moment - imo I prefer them to general knockdown rules.

Rules:

Thank you for the vid.

Sabaki/fending off arms and legs was illegal? :O Did not know that, I don't think I was ever told that in my short stint with KK.

I like the new rules, especially sweeps, but it's sad that a key aspect of Okinawan Karate (grabbing and throwing) is still banned. It's mostly legal even in WKF.

Also wondering, why would someone choose to zanshin after a head kick instead of following up with more strikes en route to a KO?

Final question - can you recommend an IKO fight where the use of the new rules is especially pronounced? I want to see this but don't have the time for a million IKO vids.

Thanks a lot.

Wait, what?

You should see the state of UK BJJ gyms - OSSS has officially replaced the shaka sign in popularity lol.

Thank you for the vid.

Sabaki/fending off arms and legs was illegal? :O Did not know that, I don't think I was ever told that in my short stint with KK.

I like the new rules, especially sweeps, but it's sad that a key aspect of Okinawan Karate (grabbing and throwing) is still banned. It's mostly legal even in WKF.

Also wondering, why would someone choose to zanshin after a head kick instead of following up with more strikes en route to a KO?

Final question - can you recommend an IKO fight where the use of the new rules is especially pronounced? I want to see this but don't have the time for a million IKO vids.

Thanks a lot.

Grabbing and throwing has always been illegal as far as I know. There were more liberties with it in the 70s though.

That's a good question - I have no idea. I'm guessing it might be a better way not to expend as much energy trying to go with more strikes and get a definitive knockout.

TBH I don't watch nearly as much kyokushin fights nowadays. I'd recommend anything from the 12th IKO1 kyokushin world tournament - as the new set of rules were on display with some of the fights (can't recall which ones they were).

On a side note - Daido Juku is it's own thing right now. It's more akin to amateur MMA in a gi than kyokushin. The only aspect that reminds me of kyokushin is the kihon - that's about it.

There are hardly any Daido Juku schools in Southern California. Maybe one that I know of. It's interesting that the "osu osu" cult isn't there. I would imagine it would be one of the first things to carry over. Even maybe with some Takashi Azuma this and that, but definitely not at the level of Sosai Oyama this and that.

No, I haven't heard of these rules going by any new name, official or unofficial. Pretty much, just "new" or "revised" kumite rules.

Wait, what?

Oh, goodness...you should see the scene here in Southern California. What was once distinctly our cult slogan of "osu! osu!" has now been hijacked by pretty much the entire BJJ community in the form of "oss! oss!" or "oos! oos!" where the cross-juji bow has been replaced with the hang-loose hand symbol. It seems to be something that started happening in the mid-2000s, especially with members of BTT. However, there is a BTT academy here in Long Beach where many of my friends train, and I asked them about when "oss! oss!" became a thing for BJJ, and they all say it's been done in BJJ since the 70's. Yeah right. It may or may not be true though, as I have read that in Brazil, BTT had a striking coach who was a Kyokushin black belt who brought the "osu! osu!" into the BTT training culture. One thing is for sure, the BJJ community as a whole has NOT been "oss! oss!"ing since the 70's. This is one example of BJJ cult mentality. A shining example.

I've been to several Shotokan (JKA and SKA) and Goju (Shin-ryu) dojos at the invitations of several friends. Not a single "osu!" in any of those dojos. I asked my Sensei, and he said it became popular in the karate world within Kyokushin. Aside from the BTT Kyokushin striking coach story, I have no idea how to explain how "oss!" became a thing in the BJJ community.

Just a personal thing, but the spelling of "oss!" and "oos!" that I see all over social media by BJJers bugs me a bit too, but that's just because I've been osu'ing for years.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Before the new rule, if the high kick didn't drop the opponent, they'd just keep on fighting! The judges would then factor that in when making the decision to declare the winner. Now, a ref sees a zanshin after a high kick and immediately pauses the action and awards the waza-ari, even if the opponent who got kicked is perfectly fine! The traditional scoring criteria for judges are:
1. Damage
2. Effectiveness of the technique
3. Total number of techniques thrown

in that order of priority! The new high kIck + zanshin rule pretty much allows a fighter to win by 2x waza-ari without giving much weight to criteria numbers 1 and 2.

Kyokushin fighters in general have developed over the decades some of the most sophisticated powerful high kicks of any martial art, and are capable of KO'ing an opponent at any range, including chest to chest. IKO-1 fighters will develop bad habits with doing zanshin after every little high kick, and it's a habit that'll result in less powerful high kicks overall, as well as one that'll get them killed in crossing over to KB/MT/MMA!

Last edited:
Grabbing and throwing has always been illegal as far as I know. There were more liberties with it in the 70s though.

That's a good question - I have no idea. I'm guessing it might be a better way not to expend as much energy trying to go with more strikes and get a definitive knockout.

TBH I don't watch nearly as much kyokushin fights nowadays. I'd recommend anything from the 12th IKO1 kyokushin world tournament - as the new set of rules were on display with some of the fights (can't recall which ones they were).

Chiming in from the Enshin Karate/Sabaki Challenge rule set. You will see certain clinches and sweeps allowed, so, while i never flet the gi grabbing techniques would translate well in mma, it was a blast to compete against KK fighters in the Sabaki ruleset (they usually kicked my ass anyway!)

Personally I think the rules you see for goju's continuous kumite are probably the best to transition into MMA though they're not common or well known.
Hell I can't even actually find any of the rulessets online for these videos.

Both seem very reflective of what we used in my dojo for sparring, though we never had a written rule set...when sensei said there was a foul or a stoppage/break that's just how it was lol

@destroyer4147 In Russia, all karatekas also say: Oss!, not Osu! :) Iirc, Japs also pronounce it like Oss.

It's spelled osu, but pronounced Oss. Don't ask why

U isn't pronounced at the end of words, so the weebs should be saying kawaii des, instead of desu, or in things like 'suke' (ie names like Shinsuke would be pronounced Shins-kay). Same was we have silent H's for honour, homage etc.

U isn't pronounced at the end of words, so the weebs should be saying kawaii des, instead of desu, or in things like 'suke' (ie names like Shinsuke would be pronounced Shins-kay). Same was we have silent H's for honour, homage etc.
Ya silent letters are stupid regardless of language.

I'm pretty sure that Russian karateka still spell it as Osu in written form though.

Nah, I saw Osu! for the first time in some western media and even didn't understand its meaning. It's spelled Os! in all training manuals, too.

Like, for example, Shinsengumi in Russian is spelled Sinsengumi, which is closer to its native form of pronouncation.

Last edited:
There are hardly any Daido Juku schools in Southern California. Maybe one that I know of. It's interesting that the "osu osu" cult isn't there. I would imagine it would be one of the first things to carry over. Even maybe with some Takashi Azuma this and that, but definitely not at the level of Sosai Oyama this and that.

Yeah when I first went I was surprised at how un-like kyokushin it was. I was the only one osu'ing until I realised I need to cut that shit out lol.

Everyone does call him Kancho etc - but from what I hear he's quite down to earth and not really interested in that kind of thing.

Nah, I saw Osu! for the first time in some western media and even didn't understand its meaning. It's spelled Os! in all training manuals, too.

Like, for example, Shinsengumi in Russian is spelled Sinsengumi, which is closer to its native form of pronouncation.

Shin-sen-gumi.

The word shin means new - and is pronounced similarly to how it would be in english.

ill trust the Japanese, and people who regularly train in Japan on the spelling

Shin-sen-gumi.

The word shin means new - and is pronounced similarly to how it would be in english.

I don't hear this "shin" [ʃɪn] in Japanese voice, Azam, only "sin" ;)

Marked:

ill trust the Japanese, and people who regularly train in Japan on the spelling

Russian language is closer to Japanese in terms of pronunciation. Oss! <45>

LMAO. Even "shogun" is pronounced as ,
not [ˈʃəʊɡən].

Last edited:
I don't hear this "shin" [ʃɪn] in Japanese voice, Azam, only "sin" ;)

Marked

I'm hearing shin in there tbh.

It's a weak "sh" sound but it's there.

Can't believe you are making me go down the osu osu cult road comrade dexter:

Timestamped for you.

I can't believe I had to post that :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back