Best Instructional for Sweeps?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by b0b, Nov 2, 2005.

1. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

I am looking to improve my sweeps from the guard. Not really interested in half guard at this point. Any good instructionals?

Yes, I practice them at class. Yes, I have asked my instructor. I am just looking for something to supplement training,

2. batman69

batman69 Purple Belt

why no interest in the half guard game?

3. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Learning basics right now.

4. Strike Force

Strike Force Yellow Belt

Check out Stephen Kesting's stuff on guard sweeps (Dynamic Guard Sweeps). It's sold on erikpaulson.com.

5. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Ill check it out, thanks.

6. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

The .5-guard is a basic position. To begin, you should learn at least two or three moves from each of the: Mount, Side-Mount, North-South, Top Guard, Top .5-Guard, Bottom Guard, Bottom .5-Guard, and Neutral positions. Then get good at them.

Then you should learn some moves from the butterfly guard (both using and passing it) and other more advanced positions. Once there are no holes in your game, then that's when you should start worrying about the "101 ways to sweep from the guard" manuvers.

Of course, it is good to advance to that stage in a few areas before everything has caught up (depending on your individual style). However you shouldn't ignore any basic area, and you should strive to have a well-rounded base of moves from those basic positions.

7. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

I realize that. At this point in my game, learning the full guard is better for me. I can easily get to guard from half guard most of the time, yet cannot mount any type of sweep from there. Half guard for me right now is a transition to guard. Once I get guard, sidemount, and mount mastered, I will move on to more exotic things like leglocks, half guard sweeps, etc...

8. Brendon Katz

Brendon Katz Brown Belt Professional Fighter

something i wish people had told me when i first started. wen u wanna sweep someone u have to take their weight off their legs. either pull them forward or turn sideon and push or pull a hip or something , just take em outa that comfort zone and make em spread there weight, then push em over.

9. Bubble Boy

Bubble Boy Black Belt

Are you looking for videos? I've learned a lot from watching Mundials.

10. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed book is great. He has some great half guard sweeps in there that I have been pulling on everyone in class.

11. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Had it for 2 weeks.