Best Instructional for Sweeps?

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am looking to improve my sweeps from the guard. Not really interested in half guard at this point. Any good instructionals?

Yes, I practice them at class. Yes, I have asked my instructor. I am just looking for something to supplement training,

Check out Stephen Kesting's stuff on guard sweeps (Dynamic Guard Sweeps). It's sold on erikpaulson.com.

Ill check it out, thanks.

b0b said:
Learning basics right now.
The .5-guard is a basic position. To begin, you should learn at least two or three moves from each of the: Mount, Side-Mount, North-South, Top Guard, Top .5-Guard, Bottom Guard, Bottom .5-Guard, and Neutral positions. Then get good at them.

Then you should learn some moves from the butterfly guard (both using and passing it) and other more advanced positions. Once there are no holes in your game, then that's when you should start worrying about the "101 ways to sweep from the guard" manuvers.

Of course, it is good to advance to that stage in a few areas before everything has caught up (depending on your individual style). However you shouldn't ignore any basic area, and you should strive to have a well-rounded base of moves from those basic positions.

I realize that. At this point in my game, learning the full guard is better for me. I can easily get to guard from half guard most of the time, yet cannot mount any type of sweep from there. Half guard for me right now is a transition to guard. Once I get guard, sidemount, and mount mastered, I will move on to more exotic things like leglocks, half guard sweeps, etc...

something i wish people had told me when i first started. wen u wanna sweep someone u have to take their weight off their legs. either pull them forward or turn sideon and push or pull a hip or something , just take em outa that comfort zone and make em spread there weight, then push em over.

Are you looking for videos? I've learned a lot from watching Mundials.

Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed book is great. He has some great half guard sweeps in there that I have been pulling on everyone in class.

scorcho said:
Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed book is great. He has some great half guard sweeps in there that I have been pulling on everyone in class.

Had it for 2 weeks.

Back