Best Hawaiian island (for BJJ)?

beeran1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My fiancee and I are considering taking a trip to Hawaii after she gets out of school and before our wedding. Wherever we end up, I'd prefer to be able to train a couple times if possible, but not at the expense of other stuff (awesome food/drinks, beautiful beaches, etc.). Recommendations? I was looking at Oahu and Kau'ai, mostly, but I'm open to whatever.

Kona bro. Apparently there's some dude in Hilo that's pretty good on the BJj.
Kona is beautiful 4 the missus too.

Oahu is literally covered by BJJ schools and there are plenty to choose from, you will see almost as much Gracie triangles as shakas. The Big Island also has the Penns.

Kona and Hilo are both part of the Island of Hawaii (Big Island).

There are amazing number of schools in Hawaii now. :D

Who's around maui? Planning a trip there to see family.

Maui jiu jitsu is the home of Luis 'Limao' Heredia, a Rickson Gracie blackbelt who has been down for so long he was part of the Gracie train that walked Royce to the cage at UFC 1.

Limao is also an incredibly positive guy with a great outlook on life and he's an amazing teacher.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Maui, Hawaii

I have also met and trained with great people at Relson's in Honolulu, the crew who are at the waterfront school now.

Maui jiu jitsu is the home of Luis 'Limao' Heredia, a Rickson Gracie blackbelt who has been down for so long he was part of the Gracie train that walked Royce to the cage at UFC 1.

Limao is also an incredibly positive guy with a great outlook on life and he's an amazing teacher.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Maui, Hawaii

I dropped in to train at the Haiku location when I was on Maui last year. Limao was out of town, but the black belt they had teaching was great. Everyone was pretty friendly and I had a great time.

I live in Kona and am researching where to train right now. im a newb. Any other tips would be really appreciated. just joined this site. thanks in advance.

Kona is very nice, probably the most beautiful sunset in the world.

Hilo is on the other side of the island, though. It's kind of the boonies, and not so much to do out there, or at least not so much since the last time I visited. 2 hours driving from Kona, so plan accordingly

Who's around maui? Planning a trip there to see family.

Christian Grandi has a school in Lahaina. He's a Carlson Gracie blackbelt. Hope I can get back there soon.

Kona is very nice, probably the most beautiful sunset in the world.

Hilo is on the other side of the island, though. It's kind of the boonies, and not so much to do out there, or at least not so much since the last time I visited. 2 hours driving from Kona, so plan accordingly

Kona is nice but also very touristy.

Hilo? Nothing to do? there are decent mom and pop shops there to look around and decent places to eat. Also, BJ Penn's gym is there if you want to train.

If you are near the North side of the Big Island, one of my former coaches has a very good gym in the middle of a very small town in Honoka'a.

Big island is Nova Uniao dominated as they have the most schools everywhere on that island and all the others are the minority there. I know there is also a Robson Moura affiliate there run by a good brown belt

Back