Best guys to have in your corner or...

Buffmeister

RINYA NAKAMURA
@Black
Reaction score
...best "team"

There are alot of guys who are just saying the same thing over and over round for round and his guy just keeps doing what he is doing...maybe because the instructions are just nothing what the fighter can build on...or they just don't click in the fight.

I mean what are the best guys to have in your corner between rounds?

Or what fighter/coach makes the best team together?

example:
Toney x Jirov
...where Roach told him before the 12th that he is about to get outhusstled what he has to do now...

I like it when trainers provide useful, actionable information to their fighter between rounds. Sometimes the trainers seem more rattled than the fighter, like Joel Diaz. Some of them spit out inspirational nonsense, like Teddy Atlas. There are guys like Virgil Hunter, who seem to get frustrated but do not have any actionable advice for their fighter at times.

Freddie Roach tends to give clear advice, in small enough quantities that his fighter can actually remember it and try to use it in the ring. Robert Garcia is a former fighter, so he has a pretty keen eye at times. Naazim Richardson does a decent job, but sometimes I think he is talking too fast and not being direct enough (You gotta swim, but don't get wet, then drop that razor on his chest!).

I like it when trainers provide useful, actionable information to their fighter between rounds. Sometimes the trainers seem more rattled than the fighter, like Joel Diaz. Some of them spit out inspirational nonsense, like Teddy Atlas. There are guys like Virgil Hunter, who seem to get frustrated but do not have any actionable advice for their fighter at times.

Freddie Roach tends to give clear advice, in small enough quantities that his fighter can actually remember it and try to use it in the ring. Robert Garcia is a former fighter, so he has a pretty keen eye at times. Naazim Richardson does a decent job, but sometimes I think he is talking too fast and not being direct enough (You gotta swim, but don't get wet, then drop that razor on his chest!).

I also think that Roach is a really good guy to have in your corner...when something needs to be fixed, he doesn't go for 30sec long instructions like you would hear in the Gym...

Two guys that came to mind were Eddie Futch and Emmanuel Steward. Maybe where Roach picked it up.

Two guys that came to mind were Eddie Futch and Emmanuel Steward. Maybe where Roach picked it up.

It is. I saw an interview where Roach said that he learned how to operate in the corner from Futch. He said he lets the fighter focus on breathing/recovery for 30 seconds, then he spends the next 30 seconds giving just a few things to focus on. He believes giving anymore than that just confuses the fighter and they don't use the advice.

Roach can be hit and miss with his advice, but certainly has the right technique, a fighter will only remember the last thing you tell them so a full minute of tactical advice is often pointless. He needed to do more in the Mayweather fight though, especially if he knew the right shoulder was hurt. I'd have liked to have seen him with more urgency in the Canelo fight too, it never looked at any point like Cotto was comfortably ahead, the gameplan wasn't really working.

It's very hard to judge as all fighters react differently and therefore need different approaches. Mayweather Sr in the Pacquiao fight nailed the corner work, he gave Floyd a good kick up the ass that resulted in him turning it up and winning some clear rounds. It definitely got a reaction from Junior, Roger definitely wouldn't done that. Atlas can be very effective for certain guys but not for others.

Emmanuel Steward is probably the best combination, he would never get flustered unless he really felt like his guy was in danger. He went crazy at Lewis for not taking Tyson out, he knew it was too dangerous to have hanging around for 12 rounds. He did this a lot with Wladimir too, he'd never let his guy get careless or sloppy, but always be thinking tactically with the best chance of winning in his mind.

Joe Goosen.

"You better fucking get in on him now"

"You're blowing it kid, you're blowing it!"

"not that bottle, the one I mixed."

Abraham and Uli Wegners conversations are alot like this:

Between rounds...when AA broke his jaw in the 1. Miranda fight:
(AA's jaw just hanging around and looking at his coach)
Wegner: Arthur!...Arthur!...remember when you came here!...just with a bag!...YOU DIDN'T COME HERE TO QUIT!! NO QUITTING!! That guy came here to take it all away from you!...

Or when AA once again was just way to passive in a round he is like:
Arthur....that round just went away...you have to do more
(Next round AA does nothing again)
Wegner:...Arthur...that round is also gone!...you actually have to throw punches!
(And then gives him small advices what he can do)

When AA comes from a good round he doesn't get that much of instructions:
Wegner: thats my boy...well done Arthur well done...just like that...

But when Wegner gets frustrated it sounds like that:
Arthur!...ARTHUR!!!...WE ain't came for this stuff!!
Do you want me to have a heartattack??
AA:...no trainer!
Wegner: then do what i told you!!!

When AA fractured his jaw against Stieglitz:
AA: Coach...my teeth hurt bad...really bad!
Wegner: Oooh...its your teeth...Arthur...poor boy...when its that bad...PUT HIM OUT!

(Next round AA finishes Stieglitz with a hard hard right hand)

Those are maybe not the most technical advices...but they do kinda work for Abraham
lol

Joe Goosen.

Unbelievable fight and just an awesome reaction to the moment. There really wasn't much else to say at that point only a KO would win the fight for Corrales.

Joe Goosen.

I like Buddy McGirt because he loves his guys too much to stand there and watch them eat all those shots.

I like Buddy McGirt because he loves his guys too much to stand there and watch them eat all those shots.
"You hear me Arturo, Paulie, etc. I'm not gonna let you keep taking these punches"

How is Nacho in the corner? I'm sure things get lost in translation but I usually get sidetracked with him shoving q-tips up Marquez's nose.

Norman "Stoney" Stone

I really appreciate his calmness, he's a true student of Zen Buddhism.

There are guys like Virgil Hunter, who seem to get frustrated but do not have any actionable advice for their fighter at times.

Virgil Hunter is just creepy

Yoel Judah has got to be one of the worst. I always liked Joe Goosen, and the advice he gave Corrales was a line I will always remember, even though it was common sense at the time. Roach also seems to give good advice in his corner. I remember Emmanuel losing his marbles in a fight, threatening to walk out etc... I think it was at Leonzer Barber.

Abraham and Uli Wegners conversations are alot like this:

Between rounds...when AA broke his jaw in the 1. Miranda fight:
(AA's jaw just hanging around and looking at his coach)
Wegner: Arthur!...Arthur!...remember when you came here!...just with a bag!...YOU DIDN'T COME HERE TO QUIT!! NO QUITTING!! That guy came here to take it all away from you!...

Or when AA once again was just way to passive in a round he is like:
Arthur....that round just went away...you have to do more
(Next round AA does nothing again)
Wegner:...Arthur...that round is also gone!...you actually have to throw punches!
(And then gives him small advices what he can do)

When AA comes from a good round he doesn't get that much of instructions:
Wegner: thats my boy...well done Arthur well done...just like that...

But when Wegner gets frustrated it sounds like that:
Arthur!...ARTHUR!!!...WE ain't came for this stuff!!
Do you want me to have a heartattack??
AA:...no trainer!
Wegner: then do what i told you!!!

When AA fractured his jaw against Stieglitz:
AA: Coach...my teeth hurt bad...really bad!
Wegner: Oooh...its your teeth...Arthur...poor boy...when its that bad...PUT HIM OUT!

(Next round AA finishes Stieglitz with a hard hard right hand)

Those are maybe not the most technical advices...but they do kinda work for Abraham
lol[/QUOTE

Great stuff !thank you. i Love those kinds of exchanges.

Roach, Stewart and Brother Nazeem.
Mayweather Sr. has a great eye too.
Some may not agree but I always though Buddy McGirt says some good things in the corner. Strangely, none of his boxers ever listen to him. That's a gym discipline issue.

How is Nacho in the corner? I'm sure things get lost in translation but I usually get sidetracked with him shoving q-tips up Marquez's nose.
"Lively, lively!"

Going to sound like I'm bragging here...
but I've been friends with Zack Page on facebook for some time; and he and I were chatting going into his fight with Sebastian Koeber.

I gave him some advice like "Oh, you've got this one".... and "He's never seen a fighter like you before". And not to leave out "go get him".

And what happened? Well... you just go and check boxrec for yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back