Best fighter outside of the UFC in each weight class?

TheShockmaster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I won't profess to being an expert on this, as it's hard to keep your eye on the ball outside of the UFC these days with so many cards on the go, but it would be interesting to get a perspective on who fans have down as the best fighter from each weight class currently actively fighting outside of the UFC. I'll start with a few suggestions but I'm pretty open on this. Hopefully spark a good discussion.

Heavyweight: Vitaly Minakov. Hard to look past him really, WSOF champ Blagoy Ivanov got subbed by Alexander Volkov whereas Mikakov KO'ed him in less than 3 minutes.

Light Heavyweight: Liam McGeary; Beat Newton so hard for me to look past him as far as I can see.

Middleweight: David Branch is Current WSOF Champ, last loss 2012 to Rumble, also got kneebared back in 2011 by Palhares in the UFC and Gerald Harris KO'ed him on his UFC debut. There's also Leonardo Leite the current Legacy champ who's 6-0 but not faced the same level of competition yet.

Welterweight: Ben Askren. Could be debated between him and Rousimar Palhares, would certainly be a good fight, but I think Askren's ceiling is higher.

Lightweight: Lightweight always seems to be debatable. With the recent release of Josh Thompson I would say it's between him, Will Brooks and Justin Gaethje. My gut feeling is it's Josh Thompson and he will beat Brooks, but I'm sure as hell looking forward to that eventual fight and it should be a good one.

A dark horse shout though is Mansour Barnaoui the current BAMMA champ. He's a Tunisian Frenchman who holds wins over Curt Warburton and Colin "Freakshow" Fletcher and his only losses are to Kevin "The Motown Phenom" Lee and Islam Makhachev. Islam is undefeated and Lee has only lost to Iaquinta. He might not be the best outside the UFC now but he is only 22 years old.

Featherweight: Quite happy to stick my neck out and say Patricy PitBull Freire on this one. One FC Champion Jadamba Narantungalag hasn't lost outside of injury since his first two pro fights and Lance Palmer is out there too, but I'd make Pitbull the favourite vs either of those based on their records.

Bantamweight: Pick a Brazilian. Brazilians currently hold Bantamweight belts in 5 different organisations. Bellator, WSOF, One FC, UCMMA and JungleFights. This weight class is probably the most open for a debate. I would have to say Marlon Moraes but really, who knows? It's worth mentioning the current Jungle Fight champion Jonas Bilharinho is 6-0-1 and only 25, but who really knows where he is at until he faces better competition?

Flyweight: Again a very Brazilian heavy division that is open for debate. Adriano Moraes current One FC Champion is 13-1 and only dropped a split decision in 2013. Alexandre Pantoja current RFA Champion is 12-2. Bruno Azevedo current XFC Champion is 13-2. Yuki Motoya curent Deep champion is 14-4 with a habit of avenging his losses. I'm not going to pretend to have followed all this fighters closely so I'll go with Adriano Moraes, but if anyone can drop any knowledge, go ahead!

Womens Bantamweight: This is one of two for me. Firstly there is Tonya Evinger, the current Invicta Champ's only losses in the last 6/7 years are to Alexis Davis and Sara McMann. Secondly it's Pannie Kianzad, Cage Warriors Swedish Champion. She's 6-0 and last beat Jessica-Rose Clark in Invicta. Want some good news? Check out Invticta 14, they're fighting next! I haven't looked at the odds but I'd back Kianzad. September 14th only on Fight Pass baby.

Worth also mentioning Barb Honchak Invicta's 125lbs champ. Only losses are 5 years ago a split decision to Angela Magana and a UD to Cat Zigano. These were only her second and third pro-fights and she's beaten Aisling Daly, Roxanne Modafferi, Leslie Smith and Takayo Hashi since then. At 35 years old you'd have to assume she'd go up for the UFC rather than down?

Womens Strawweight: Livia Renata Souza; undefeated Invicta Champion...hard to look past that really.

So then, who's got a completely different opinion? Are you a Brazilian hardcore fan who can shed some light on the lower weight classes and tell me I'm completely wrong? Have you seen a 19 year old wonder kid on a local show who spinning headkicks people for fun and is worth a mention? Let's hear some opinions, don't be scared homie!

Agree with most of your picks, I'd add:

MW Brandon Halsey, if he can make weight.
BW Bibiano Fernandes, but like you said, close call in this weight class

I agree with the most, I added 2nd and 3rd because in some divs it's close

HW: Minakov, 2nd Tybura, 3rd Smoldarev / Gotlsov
LHW: McGeary, 2nd Davis, 3rd Puetz
MW: Khalidov , 2nd Halsey , 3rd Slava
WW: Palhares, 2nd Askren, 3rd Shields
LW: Brooks, 2nd Chandler, 3rd Gaethje
FW: Freire, 2nd Weichel, 3rd Straus / Palmer
BW: Bibi Fernandes, 2nd Moraes, 3rd Dantas
FLW: Adriano Moraes, 2nd Pantoja, 3rd Yuki Motoya
WBW: Evinger, 2nd Kianzad, 3rd Aldana
WSW: Kowalkiewicz, 2nd Souza, 3rd Grasso

I completely forgot Davis is signed with Bellator, good call. That will be a tough test for McGeary if he wins the #1 contender tournament.

lol at Askren hype
I honestly think that Shields, Okami and of course Palhares would do better than Askren did against Jay Hieron, Lyman Good, Luis Santos...

His best win is who? Lima? who has just been outwrestled by a striker

the decision could have easily got to newton so he's right up there with McGeary

HW Minakov
LHW Liam/Newton/Davis
MW Branch, Mamed, Halsey
WW askren/Palhares
LW Brooks, Held and Thomson
FW Pitbull
BW Moraes, Bibi
Fly Moraes, Pantoja

I agree with the most, I added 2nd and 3rd because in some divs it's close

HW: Minakov, 2nd Tybura, 3rd Smoldarev / Gotlsov
LHW: McGeary, 2nd Davis, 3rd Puetz
MW: Khalidov , 2nd Halsey , 3rd Slava
WW: Palhares, 2nd Askren, 3rd Shields
LW: Brooks, 2nd Chandler, 3rd Gaethje
FW: Freire, 2nd Weichel, 3rd Straus / Palmer
BW: Bibi Fernandes, 2nd Moraes, 3rd Dantas
FLW: Adriano Moraes, 2nd Pantoja, 3rd Yuki Motoya
WBW: Evinger, 2nd Kianzad, 3rd Aldana
WSW: Kowalkiewicz, 2nd Souza, 3rd Grasso

Order might be be perfect but you pretty much nailed it in each div with the right guys.

Think once Souza/Grasso fight the winner takes the top spot over KK.

LOL@ Thomson beating Brooks

He's still one of the best lightweights in the world. He's only lost either very close or complete B.S decisions for years until the Tony Ferguson fight. He also knocked Nate Diaz until another stratosphere.

Will Brooks is also up there though, hence why I'd be so looking forward to that fight.

I find Aoki at #2 LW way more reasonable than Emeev #2 at MW

Yeah I remember that has been discussed very much, Emeev is #2 because he took Slava position.
IMHO, Halsey should be #2 and Emeev #3, then Slava #4
And maybe I'd put Branch in the #3, then #4 Emeev and #5 Slava

Emeev is #2 because he took Slava position.

As a single argument, sounds pretty dull to me.

IMHO, Halsey should be #2 and Emeev #3, then Slava #4
And maybe I'd put Branch in the #3, then #4 Emeev and #5 Slava

Halsey could arguably be #2 but the guy is missing weight. That has to count for something because is basically breaking the rules and thats not fair.

Branch is either #1 or #2 at this point, and just about every site agree on that. Look at his record in the last 4 years.

As a single argument, sounds pretty dull to me.

Halsey could arguably be #2 but the guy is missing weight. That has to count for something because is basically breaking the rules and thats not fair.

Branch is either #1 or #2 at this point, and just about every site agree on that. Look at his record in the last 4 years.

I agree with Branch situation

About Halsey, he missed weight only one time, yeah I know it was a title fight, but if he makes the weight in the next fights, IMO he's the #2 without doubt

No love for Tito? I would put him up there, but at 185, assuming though he is allowed to weigh in as a LHW. Look how he demolished Shlemenko!

HW - Minakov

LHW - Mo

MW - Khalidov/Halsey

WW- Palhares

LW - Will Brooks

FW - Pitbull

BW - Moraes

HW - Minakov

LHW - Mo

MW - Khalidov/Halsey

WW- Palhares

LW - Will Brooks

FW - Pitbull

BW - Moraes

This except I got Liam/Newton over Mo and Khalidov clearly over Halsey until he can prove that he can consistently make weight

Back