Best examples of parrying in a fight?

I disagree. You can't do anything rolling on the back of your heels going backwards.

Shots are shots. They count regardless of damage done.

And no...I don't believe you need a specific build to stand and punch like a kickboxer would, or to box like he is. He's not doing anything that's tailored to a body type.

I agree with everything except the last part. That type of guard doesn't need a wide back but long arms and big forearms. Guys like him and the previous mention have success because of their range. Like a shield and spear kind of thing, as oppose to someone like me where it would be like a shield and dagger.

I disagree. You can't do anything rolling on the back of your heels going backwards.

Shots are shots. They count regardless of damage done.

And no...I don't believe you need a specific build to stand and punch like a kickboxer would, or to box like he is. He's not doing anything that's tailored to a body type.

Hmm.......if you say so.

I agree with everything except the last part. That type of guard doesn't need a wide back but long arms and big forearms. Guys like him and the previous mention have success because of their range. Like a shield and spear kind of thing, as oppose to someone like me where it would be like a shield and dagger.

What type of guard would that be? Hands up and elbows down? What would you recommend to someone then who didn't have the prescribed forearms?

GSP used his parry against kos pretty well in their second fight, if I remember correctly.

I use it a lot in MMA sparring, not as much in boxing or kickboxing.

Evans v davis-evans parries Davis one two repeatedly, rashad actually has a very good parry game; probably top five in mma.

What type of guard would that be? Hands up and elbows down? What would you recommend to someone then who didn't have the prescribed forearms?

See this style is attribute based unlike other styles. It's kind of like a peaka-boo for long arm guys. The big forearms are used as a shield. My range is decent but nothing crazy for my height when I or someone of average reach do this our arms protect the center line and face. Yet the liver and speen are expose. Every single person I've seen use this plays the waiting game behind the shield which I don't recommend to anyone unless this is your thing.

Tyson's or should I say the D'amato Peaka-boo guard it's not as high as people think. In fact its a standard guard but the hands are glued to face or very close to it. Hence the name peakaboo. An average person can do this but when you do this it limits your reach and your attacks to mid range and in the pocket. Fighting from outside well it's foolish unless you have the reach. What will happen is your opponent can get off first or sneak punches around the guard. Also your vision is greatly effected, I speak from experience.

What I recommend for someone who doesn't have prescribed forearms is stop playing attack and defend. Let your hands go, there are better ways to learn defense. This style is a war of attrition. My biggest fear with this type of guard is relying on it as a crutch which hinders one's education.

Mike McCallum vs Michael Watson is another good example for parrying

See this style is attribute based unlike other styles. It's kind of like a peaka-boo for long arm guys. The big forearms are used as a shield. My range is decent but nothing crazy for my height when I or someone of average reach do this our arms protect the center line and face. Yet the liver and speen are expose. Every single person I've seen use this plays the waiting game behind the shield which I don't recommend to anyone unless this is your thing.

Tyson's or should I say the D'amato Peaka-boo guard it's not as high as people think. In fact its a standard guard but the hands are glued to face or very close to it. Hence the name peakaboo. An average person can do this but when you do this it limits your reach and your attacks to mid range and in the pocket. Fighting from outside well it's foolish unless you have the reach. What will happen is your opponent can get off first or sneak punches around the guard. Also your vision is greatly effected, I speak from experience.

What I recommend for someone who doesn't have prescribed forearms is stop playing attack and defend. Let your hands go, there are better ways to learn defense. This style is a war of attrition. My biggest fear with this type of guard is relying on it as a crutch which hinders one's education.

The way I see it, he stance and guard is a normal standard guard in boxing and even kickboxing (because of his tall stance). The way he goes about using his stance is a "defend and attack". He defends...i.e. either takes the shot on the gloves or digs the elbow on body shots, and then throws his counter. He also moves...he slips, he ducks, he rolls, he weaves. Also standard practice. There's nothing more basic than that in fighting. They attack, you defend, you counter, they defend, they attack, you defend...and the trend goes on. It becomes a battle of endurance, position, and waiting for the other guy to make a mistake. Oddly enough...all fighting is pretty much that way.

I don't teach anything different to people when they first start out. Hands up, elbows down, knees bent, feet about shoulder width or higher. Cover or move when you get punched or kicked and launch a counter.

So I say again...how is his style one of specialization? Maybe I'm just over simplifying it again like I do with spinning kicks...lol

Because his style is in the details. You've only fleshed out the very basics of it.
Strykerx missed a very important detail of his back too.
I was meaning to post on it but sometimes it's a bitch tapping away on an iPad.

So...then what are the details? Specifically.

How's that coming along?

What can I say, easier said than done ?

:)

A coupla lines are easy but for this I need I need to sit on my desktop . Always too much going on or too tired.
I pity poor Sinister when u guys start hounding him for "analysis" of so n so.

Back