Best dvd for guard retention and guard replaces?

tenktriangles

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not finding much via search. I'm guessing Ryan hall's defensive guard or maybe Braulio's invisible DVD on the guard, but what else is out there?

Dude, I tried for years to find a good set on guard retention. As far as I can tell, there isn't one. I got good at it (to the extent that I am good at it) mostly by Youtubing guard pass defenses to specific guards and watching MendesBrosOnline. Also BJJ Scout has some good stuff on retaining guard in his cross face counters series. Overall, it's a tragically under-documented part of BJJ. Is there a specific pass you're having trouble with or guard you want to retain?

I should add that I haven't seen Ryan's DVD, it may very well be what you're looking for.

Not finding much via search. I'm guessing Ryan hall's defensive guard or maybe Braulio's invisible DVD on the guard, but what else is out there?

Ryan Halls defensive guard is great. Artechoke Media just released a great instructional on the sit up escape with Jeff Rockwell which is kinda half escape, half retention. I know Budo Jake has a dvd on inverting but I haven't seen it.

Ryan Hall's Defensive Guard for sure

I still watch the 3rd disk every now and then

Ryan hall is excellent. The money is worth it.

+1 for Ryan Hall. That one helped me a lot.

I'm biased but the Grapplers Guide has tons of guard retention content. Probably more than any other resource.

The new Lovato set is good! I hate his marketing but he is a great teacher.

a yoga dvd, not joking.
when i started to do stretching for the hips my guard retention ability increased tenfold.
actually my overall jiu jitsu got a lot better and more creative.

The hall DVD is great. Just to mention another one i still watch once in a while is the defending guard pass DVD from the Maia set.

thanks for the help, homies. i will get Ryan's , Demian's, and Lovato's. I already have Braulios. Yoga is a good suggestion as well.

Back