Orange Belt
Reaction score
of all time? any ideas?

IMO

1/ lennox lewis
2/ bob fitzsimmons
3/ henry cooper
4/ Bombadier Billy Wells
5/ gary mason / frank bruno (can t split the two)

honourable mentions to Tommy Farr, Joe Bugner, Scott Welch, Jack Petersen,

Was Bruno really that big a talent? Most brits know him as a lovable pantomime character, and he was the very definition of lovable loser (we brits are suckers for guys who keep losing but don't give up).

I know he had some scary power (he rocked a young Tyson), but he always seemed clumsy, stiff and got his title squeezing out a points win against McCall.

i remember he looked pretty good and fluid against Lennox until he got caught, but I was too young to really appreciate his other fights.

Bruno was a better fighter than Mason and beat the better comp.

I'm all disappointed now because I thought you meant current, might want to edit that thraed to all time or something.

Might as well comment whilst I'm here. Its gotta be Lennox, despite concerns about his overall britishness.

In terms of integration into the national psychey (not sure of spelling) Bruno. A gentle giant couargeous in defeat, what can I say we Brits love an underdog.

I'm all disappointed now because I thought you meant current, might want to edit that thraed to all time or something.

Might as well comment whilst I'm here. Its gotta be Lennox, despite concerns about his overall britishness.

In terms of integration into the national psychey (not sure of spelling) Bruno. A gentle giant couargeous in defeat, what can I say we Brits love an underdog.

thought my choice of bob fitzsimmons was a clue :redface:

henry akinwande beat some good fighters but his britishness is up for question

honourable mention to scott welch i liked that one you just made my night

Lennox Lewis in a landslide. Currently, if David Haye doesn't get his chin checked, he's probably the best even though he's only had one fight at the weight.

of all time? any ideas?

IMO

1/ lennox lewis
2/ bob fitzsimmons
3/ henry cooper
4/ Bombadier Billy Wells
5/ gary mason / frank bruno (can t split the two)

honourable mentions to Tommy Farr, Joe Bugner, Scott Welch, Jack Petersen,

Cant split Mason and Bruno ? I can. Top 5 Bruno/Top 20 maybe for Mason. Bruno held a title while Masons claim to fame was getting his head turned into a mango by Lewis.

Well, Lewis cheated in that fight, IMO. Mason was more than holding his own.
But still, I agree. Bruno > Mason

watched a few hide fights recently.. he definately had the power but especially the hand speed to be up there... tho he seemed to lack heart? or is it just his chin?

watched a few hide fights recently.. he definately had the power but especially the hand speed to be up there... tho he seemed to lack heart? or is it just his chin?

Its chin and by his own admission too. The term glass chin as arbitrary as it is genuinely applies here.

I saw his last few too. He was fighting ridiculously poor opponents for the most part and doesnt seem to have the spring in his step or the speed anymore.

Hide wont make any ground in the cruisers IMO. He is on the slide and that odd way he leans back exposed is going to be a problem with less speed against faster 200lbers. In short I think he gets sparked against anyone who can punch in the top 10.

Back