4.Roy Nelson never bein submited in mma
5.Big foot Silva never bein submited in mma
6.Jeff Monson
7.Oleksiy Oliynyk
8. Minotauro
9.Ricco Rodrigues
10.John-Olav Einemo never bein submited in mma
11.Gabriel Gonzaga never bein submited in mma

I would put Nog higher, but yeah whatever.

Right now Werdum is easily the best bjj guy in the division

Werdum by a considerable margin. Mir is tough to rank because he has some great subs, but he's been dominated on the ground a lot. He certainly would be lower than #2 for me.

The Boa Constrictor, Oliynyk puts the squeeze on all of them.

Seriously, though...

Never been submitted blah, blah, blaaaaahhhh...

Does it really matter how good your bjj is if you get KTFO ?

Keep your eyes on the prize. The rest is FLUFF.

Werdum's BJJ is great but he hasn't submitted anyone in years besides a Cain that shot for a panic TD because he was about to be finished standing, Hunt and Reem have laid around in his guard in the past and his takedowns suck so he can't get it to the ground

I know it's handy because it means a lot of people are apprehensive about taking him down so it's let him polish his standup but I don't think he's someone that will submit any HW in the world in seconds on the ground unless they get completely sloppy

I agree with your top 3 though, BJJ is not all that relevant at HW

I know the knee jerk reaction will be to say Werdum, but Alexey Oleynik already has more submissions in the UFC than Werdum who only has 2 to his credit through 13 fights.

Werdum's BJJ is great but he hasn't submitted anyone in years besides a Cain that shot for a panic TD because he was about to be finished standing, Hunt and Reem have laid around in his guard in the past and his takedowns suck so he can't get it to the ground

I know it's handy because it means a lot of people are apprehensive about taking him down so it's let him polish his standup but I don't think he's someone that will submit any HW in the world in seconds on the ground unless they get completely sloppy

Thats mostly b/c ppl avoid the ground with him like the plague.

Ben Rothwell has better submission wins than Roy Nelson, and where the hell is Stefan Struve?

Seems much of Sherdog thinks BJJ=submissions

stuve and Rothwell are not black bjj

So are you only counting fighters if they have black belts in BJJ? Why not based on their achievements in MMA? For example, Matt Hughes never became a white belt, but he is one of the all time best submission fighters in the UFC.

Werdum is the best grappler is pure grappling, but Mir was better from his back, he had more offensive BJJ and devastating finishes (power).
Werdum could finish Overeem in Strikeforce and UFC in 3rd round, but he rely to much on his ground game and thats why he didnt finished Reem in standup especially in 3rd fight. Reem was nearly out on his feet, he should throw combo of punches ended by knee in thai plum and he didnt. Mir is smarter I think. Minotauro in his prime was great submission artist and Barnett is one of the best on top of you, one of the smartest fighter in MMA. Difference between Barnett and GSP (both have always great gameplan) is GSP wants just towin, Barnett wants to finish.

BJJ is about more than submissions. Someone who gets dominated positionally, but doesn't get submitted isn't really displaying great BJJ.

It's also slightly silly to talk about "BJJ skills" since there is so much overlap among the grappling arts in the first place, let alone when you blend it into an MMA format.

#1 HW grappler - Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz
4th degree black belt BJJ
ADCC champ
6X Mundials Champ
notable victories: Roger Gracie, Ricco Rodriguez, Arsdale, Gonzaga, Filho, Xande, Marcelo Garcia, Monson, and Werdum

CM Punk best chin at welterweight never been knocked out in mma

Hunt and Reem have survived Werdum by doing absolutely nothing in his guard. That's his BJJ at work, it neutralizes them completely and makes them scared to pull any offense. It's pretty hard to submit fighters who do nothing but concentrate entirely on not getting submitted.

Also Mir hasnt submitted anyone in 6 years so that's not much of a knock on Werdum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back