Best BJJ heavyweight

Proteus900

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Werdum is probably the best MMA BJJ artist, but in a strict grappling match are there any out there that are at his level or higher?

When I saw the comments on Werdum having the best BJJ of any HW the first name that popped into my head was actually Monson, but he doesn't have the reach to compete with HW is MMA.

Werdum is better than Monson at Jiu Jitsu, Grappling, Checkers, etc...

I am fairly certain he was talking about in MMA. Yes Xande and Roger have dabbled, but they haven't really committed.

Roger G vs Werdum at a catch weight of 220. Then we will see who the best BJJ heavyweight is in MMA unless you want to throw Mir in there....

MMA heavyweight- Werdum is elite. You have Mir, Nog, Roger once he gets more experience and extends his supernatural dominance.

Grappling wise, that is such a shark tank I don't even know where to start. But it would be safe to end with Roger Gracie.

Wait, Roger is fighting at Light Heavyweight... I guess that counts him out so I think "wannaSurf" above is correct!!!

Roger just dropped to LHW... indicating that he is very serious.... which is a scary thing for that division. May they all rest in peace after Roger chokes them out.

I am fairly certain he was talking about in MMA. Yes Xande and Roger have dabbled, but they haven't really committed.

Roger has a contract with Strikeforce, and is 3 for 3 on submission wins (100%) at heavyweight... that's not dabbling anymore, thats an established base for an insane career. especially now that he dropped in weight.

wow, I can't believe I forgot about Roger.

That said I specifically was referring to grappling matches when I said Monson, he'd have no chance in an MMA match.

Wasn't Roger vs Randleman at HW though?

Man, he's gonna be a beast at LHW if he can continue to improve his standup.

wow, I can't believe I forgot about Roger.

That said I specifically was referring to grappling matches when I said Monson, he'd have no chance in an MMA match.

What? Stylistically Monson's explosive takedowns and tight pressure passing game from the top is nightmarish for Werdum. I think Werdum is better and would certainly win, but not all that easily. I'd expect a good fight.

Werdum is probably the best MMA BJJ artist, but in a strict grappling match are there any out there that are at his level or higher?

When I saw the comments on Werdum having the best BJJ of any HW the first name that popped into my head was actually Monson, but he doesn't have the reach to compete with HW is MMA.

Jacare whooped Werdum.

What? Stylistically Monson's explosive takedowns and tight pressure passing game from the top is nightmarish for Werdum. I think Werdum is better and would certainly win, but not all that easily. I'd expect a good fight.

Explosive?

I think Monson's wrestling is overrated personally. Its better than most in the HW division, but not comparable to real solid wrestlers like Koscheck, GSP, Hendricks, Sonnen, etc...

In terms of who could beat werdum in a gi, Roger, maybe Cavaca, maybe Leo Leite but broadly speaking if he came back to the mundials he would still be a very strong contender at pesadissimo. Roger is the best Gi grappler at the moment.

Jacare did a number on Werdum a few years ago in a gi, but then he could do that to most people at that time.

In no gi bjj, well, Monson already has beaten Werdum before (2005 +99kg adcc semi finals) as has Roger (Absolute quarter finals) and Cacareco (2003 Absolute semi finals) and andre galvao (2007 absolute quarter finals, judges decision iirc). but he is 2007 and 2009 +99kg adcc champ, so a force in nogi as well.

Last edited:
Roger Gracie is unbelievable.... it wont be long before we hear even more about him in the MMA world...it will take one hell of a striker to beat him.... cause if it goes anywhere near grappling distance forget about it. War Gracie

Back