Best BJJ Book to...

JayOliver

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What's the best BJJ/grappling book to supplement a beginner who's just started? I've heard from somewhere on here that Mastering Jiu-jitsu by Renzo Gracie is good. Any suggestions or reviews of something you have?

Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed is great. Perhaps not the best thing for a beginner, as many techs in it are pretty advanced, but I think a beginner would benefit as well.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Basics. "Gene Simco", BJJ Theory and Technique "Renzo & Royler Gracie".

Try "Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: Theory & Technique", by Renzo & Royler Gracie. It is a big book with tons of info/pics & is perfect for a beginner. I reference it all the time. It covers all the basic positions, sweeps, submissions, escapes, counters, everything. I think "Mastering Jiu-jitsu" is a little more advanced.

I also have Eddie Bravo's book, I think most of the stuff is way too advanced for a beginner. It will probably be of no use to you until you are very comfortable with the basics of BJJ.

Eddie Bravo's book is DEFINITELY too advanced for a beginner. It's all half-guard, rubber-guard and "twister" side-control. You need the fundamentals, and those aren't them.

I also have Renzo's "Mastering Jujitsu", which I actually read before I started training. It's a pretty good introduction to the theory and philosophy of BJJ (position before submission, etc.), but it's a little long on history and short on techniques. Still a good read, but you probably want something more in-depth. Unfortunately, I can't really recommend something like that, but I'm sure these guys have it covered. I've got "The Guard" and "Passing The Guard" by Ed Beneville on the way from Amazon, and I'll probably post about them once I get them.

I am currently reading Brazilian jiu-jitsu basics and i think it is a very good starter book. Although it is from Gene Simco , who has had poor reviews on this board, I feel that it is a great starter book. Simco also wrote "The Master Text" which is one of the most acclaimed jiu jitsu books on Bjj.org

Mastering Jujitsu by John Danaher and Renzo should be required reading for any student of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It's the only book out there that focuses on theory rather than listing technique after technique.

Resident A-hole said:
Try "Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: Theory & Technique", by Renzo & Royler Gracie. It is a big book with tons of info/pics & is perfect for a beginner. I reference it all the time. It covers all the basic positions, sweeps, submissions, escapes, counters, everything. I think "Mastering Jiu-jitsu" is a little more advanced.

I also have Eddie Bravo's book, I think most of the stuff is way too advanced for a beginner. It will probably be of no use to you until you are very comfortable with the basics of BJJ.

Agreed.

JayOliver said:
What's the best BJJ/grappling book to supplement a beginner who's just started? I've heard from somewhere on here that Mastering Jiu-jitsu by Renzo Gracie is good. Any suggestions or reviews of something you have?
i checked out "mastering JJ" - renzo gracie from the library and wasn't impressed..... the things taught it in it were very basic things you could learn from watching any grappling match on tv
i think it is ok for a beginner though

scorcho said:
Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed is great. Perhaps not the best thing for a beginner, as many techs in it are pretty advanced, but I think a beginner would benefit as well.

true, i have it and it shows you how to work from the bottom mostly

i think mastering jj by renzo is an excellent book. its by no means an encyclopedia of moves tho - more writing. its very logical and goes through all the aspects of an mma fight - standing w/ distance, clinch, takedowns, and the ground - and explains the basic principles of what you're trying to do. its really almost an mma book for a large part of it. the best section imo is the clinch, it goes over engaging in the clinch, pummeling, takedowns from the clinch, and breaking out of the clinch

bjj theory and technique by renzo and royyler is much more of an encylcopedia w/ lots of big colored pics, if thats what you're looking for.

I've got a few bjj books. Most of them I like more as I learn more in class, which makes me wonder if they are ideal for a beginner.

A book I just picked up is The Essential Guard by Kid Peligro. Not only is it the best organized bjj book I own (I've got Volume one of Rigan's Encyclopedia, Renzo & Royler's, JJ Machado's Black Belt Techniques and Carlson's Experts Only), but I think it is by far the best "written." Peligro does a great job of focusing on one of the most important things for beginners and novices: learning what the guard is all about.

It's a newish book, I think. So maybe a lot of people haven't had a chance to check it out. But it is my Bible right now. I even take it with me if I think I might have to wait in a long line or something somewhere. I can't recommend it enough.

-as a beginner the RENZO AND ROYLER GRACIE THEORY AND TECHNIQUE is PERFECT. all the basics and great pics. also great for reference!

wOg said:
I've got a few bjj books. Most of them I like more as I learn more in class, which makes me wonder if they are ideal for a beginner.

A book I just picked up is The Essential Guard by Kid Peligro. Not only is it the best organized bjj book I own (I've got Volume one of Rigan's Encyclopedia, Renzo & Royler's, JJ Machado's Black Belt Techniques and Carlson's Experts Only), but I think it is by far the best "written." Peligro does a great job of focusing on one of the most important things for beginners and novices: learning what the guard is all about.

It's a newish book, I think. So maybe a lot of people haven't had a chance to check it out. But it is my Bible right now. I even take it with me if I think I might have to wait in a long line or something somewhere. I can't recommend it enough.

- you've convinced me to buy the The Essential Guard. i've been looking for a book that focuses on guard and kid peligro is the man so i'm purchasing it right now online- thanks

I have Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed. I haven't yet implemented the techniques into my game yet (as I haven't had enough time to study them) but I can see how some would be complicated. On the other hand, some of the sweeps (old school, etc) are not very difficult to do.

GracieStudent said:
- you've convinced me to buy the The Essential Guard. i've been looking for a book that focuses on guard and kid peligro is the man so i'm purchasing it right now online- thanks

I hope you like it. I like Rigan's Encyclopedia because it's just got move after move and the first book/volume is all about closed and open guard. But after one read through some of the first few chapters of The Essential Guard, I finally feel like I understand what I'm SUPPOSED TO BE DOING. Truly, it was like a light came on.

Renzo and Royler's book was the first one I bought. It's a good book, but I almost think it is better for somebody who is "interested" in bjj, rather than actually trying to learn it step by step, piece by piece.

- true but what i like about the renzo royler book is that after a first read you shouldn't really have to read it anymore so if i flip through the book it gives you a quick reminder of the basic building blocks...that's why i like that one. don't get me wrong there's a couple moves in that book i'm like, ok 'the single handed wrist grab'?? kinda instinctual no?

wOg said:
I hope you like it. I like Rigan's Encyclopedia because it's just got move after move and the first book/volume is all about closed and open guard. But after one read through some of the first few chapters of The Essential Guard, I finally feel like I understand what I'm SUPPOSED TO BE DOING. Truly, it was like a light came on.

Agreed 100%.

has anyone readNo Rules Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Techniques for Mixed Martial Arts and Self Defence by Gene Simco?

Not a begginer book obviosly but i'd be interested to know if it's any good or not?

Back