Best BJJ book or video....

Loaf10

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I just started BJJ, and i can't get enough, literally, so i am looking to learn as much as i can. what book or vide/dvd would you guys recomend??

Thanks

ps, i know i could have searched for this but i don't have the time. seeeya

Renzo and Roylers book is good for beginners.

Renzo royler book is good i have it.
Royce gracies Ultimate fighting techniques isnt bad... but to me royce is just funny looking... always serious with the receeding hair line.

We had previously discussed some good BJJ books on this thread:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=250615

Check it out.

Off the top of my head, I'd like to recommend the following videos:

1) Gordo's Half-Guard series: Great instructional on half-guard from the man who created most of the moves from there.

2) Cross-sides Top: Video from Straight Blast Gym featuring Tom Oberhue and Michael Chapman. I just bought and viewed these videos. Great instructional on one of the hardest concepts to teach to newbs... pressures and how to stay tight. This will help out anyone's side control game.

3) Marcelo Garcia 1 & 2: Both are good. I especially like the details he shares about finishing an opponent once you have his back. Sound is a little weird since his voice is dubbed.

4) Stephan Kesting's Dynamic Guard Sweeps vol. 1: As Aesopian said, Kesting's videos are really good. This video walks you through all the basics of the butterfly guard and x-guard. In addition, Kesting does a good job of explaining how to transition between the two guards and when to use this transition.

5) Mauricio Tinguinha Mariano's Ultimate Open Guard Series: I'm a lil' biased since he's my instructor. However, as others on here will vouch, he has come out with 3 really good instructional videos on the open guard: Spider Guard, Cross Guard, and Sitting Up Guard. The Sitting Up Guard video is an excellent complement to Kesting's Dynamic Guard Sweeps video.

Anybody have the JJ Machado book? Any opinions?

what is renzo and roylers book called?

I think it is just called Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Technique and Theory. Or some such.

I'd recommend Cesar Gracie's DVDs. Great for a beginner.

2om30 said:
Anybody have the JJ Machado book? Any opinions?

Which one? I have the Black Belt Techniques and the Championship Grappling Techniques book.

I had already reviewed the Black Belt techniques book in the aforementioned thread. Nevertheless, both are really good. JJ Machado has a reputation for his unique setups and these books don't disappoint. The photographs are clear and the descriptions are excellent. Frequently, the books would feature a small inset window to show a minute detail that is crucial for pulling off a move.

I like playing around with the setups and his variation of moves. I've already incorporated some of his sweeps into my own game and believe that both of these books are good additions to anyone's BJJ library.

I bought Renzo and Royler's book, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Theory and Technique, and so far it has been very informative. I also bought another book by Royler, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Submission Grappling Techniques. It doesn't involve any techniques using a gi. It looks like it will be useful too, but the majority of it is a little too advanced for me right now.

Has anyone read The Gracie Way? I've thumbed through it a few times and I read the chapter about Carlson (I am studying under one of his Purple Belts). Thanks.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Which one? I have the Black Belt Techniques and the Championship Grappling Techniques book.

I had already reviewed the Black Belt techniques book in the aforementioned thread. Nevertheless, both are really good. JJ Machado has a reputation for his unique setups and these books don't disappoint. The photographs are clear and the descriptions are excellent. Frequently, the books would feature a small inset window to show a minute detail that is crucial for pulling off a move.

I like playing around with the setups and his variation of moves. I've already incorporated some of his sweeps into my own game and believe that both of these books are good additions to anyone's BJJ library.
Thanks man.

What is this "Brazilian Jiujitsu" you people are speaking of?

A good Book is from Cesar Gracie's camp, "the Techniques of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu"

Has everything in it, like 575 pages and is well organized. at www.BJJBook.com

phenomfan1529 said:
I heard the mario sperry videos were good. Has anybody seen them?

I have the Mario Sperry Master Series 1 videos too. They're pretty good. Good instruction and all techniques are clearly demonstrated. He shows a tons of stuff from the omoplata position. Submissions, sweeps and strategy. He also shows a lot of ways to combat that position.

Not a bad instructional set but I think, for your money, there are many better ones out there.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
I have the Mario Sperry Master Series 1 videos too. They're pretty good. Good instruction and all techniques are clearly demonstrated. He shows a tons of stuff from the omoplata position. Submissions, sweeps and strategy. He also shows a lot of ways to combat that position.

Not a bad instructional set but I think, for your money, there are many better ones out there.

Do you recommend Sperry's over the Gracie videos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back