Best Anti-Wrestlers

Chuck was one of the kings of this realm which is why I though Rashad was DOA against him.

Then Rashad the stiriker was born and KTFO’d Chuck. I think a large part of Chuck died that night in Atlanta

Machida losing to Davis is the only won. Weidmen is not a wrestler, he is a complete fighter, great stand up, ground game and takedowns

This...

98% of the mma world thought Machida beat Phil. And Weidman is an all around great fighter that can do it all... Machida did very well in that Weidman fight, feel like people forget that sometimes. Probably his last “elite fighter” type performance..

Machida beat/many of them stoppages, Tito, Bader, Randy, Munoz - Very good grapplers that don’t mind taking fighters down- Shogun, Thiago Silva, Mousasi, Soko, Nakumara(so),etc.

Machida is probably top-3 in this “category”... Aldo probably best all time, but machida is up there..

No love for Mirko CroCop? He was the original "sprawl & brawl" style fighter. Coleman could not take him down in his prime and Coleman just wrecked everybody with his smothering wrestling back then (even Fedor... before the armbars came).

Shit... I’m embarrassed for not mentioning him in my first response. Mirko was one of the “original” modern era anti-wrestlers.. He was so damn hard to takedown and keep down. Chuck is obviously up there too...

I always thought Nogs when over Mirko was his most impressive ever bc of what a stud Cro Cop was..

Wow... Didn’t think Wineland or Cerrone would have their names on a list like that..

Although I remember a similar list/stats from a while back and a few names on the list were bc of 2-3 fights where grapplers/wrestlers were diving for TD after TD from the outside and getting stuffed for 15 minutes straight..

Anderson vs Maia comes to mind... In fact I feel like Anderson was on the list specifically bc if that fight.. Maia was like 2 for 33 on TD’s..

Rob Whittaker. A guy from a striking base. He made Silver Medal Olympian Romeros wrestling practically obsolete.

Don't forget about completely nullifying black belt Jiu Jitsu AND Judo master grappler Jacare Souza. Whittaker was amazing in those scrambles before he KO'd him. Whittaker is the only fighter in the UFC to KO Jacare, and what's even more amazing is that Jacare's only other losses in the UFC were split decisions that could have so easily went his way (vs Yoel and Gastelum).

Whittaker's defensive wrestling/scrambling ability is honestly some of the best I've ever seen.

Throw Conor up there too...he was defending a couple shitty takedowns on his instagram or something.

Amirite Sherdog?

Don't forget about completely nullifying black belt Jiu Jitsu AND Judo master grappler Jacare Souza. Whittaker was amazing in those scrambles before he KO'd him. Whittaker is the only fighter in the UFC to KO Jacare, and what's even more amazing is that Jacare's only other losses in the UFC were split decisions that could have so easily went his way (vs Yoel and Gastelum).

Whittaker's defensive wrestling/scrambling ability is honestly some of the best I've ever seen.
Whittaker skills set is still heavily based on wrestling (tdd to stay on the feet, which he is awesome at)....most would be surprised at this, but search the internets:
example-

Derrick Lewis should be a good anti wrestler.
Just does the shimmy shimmy shake and gets up when another fighter is trying to wet blanket him.

Chuck getting up so fast was really magical to watch. most guys just reset after takin down. change mindsets with patience. Chuck made it a habit to get up.

Aldo.

Can't remember him ever being on his back with his guard up.

The only person who came close was Mendes when Aldo grabbed the fence.

He might not have the track record right now, but Zabit, I think will end up being one of the very best as wel.

Phil davis atm is the only one at LHW I think.

Not sure why its important that he has not beaten a D1 Champ or not, but I see your point of fact is correct though.

He has still faced 2 ALL american wrestlers and 1 Bronze medalist at the worlds.

I think a bronze at the worlds might be a bit more prestigious then a D1 Championship?

I would argue that a bronze in the world might not be as important as D1. Freestyle lacks a ground game.

Jones wrestled in college, he got kicked out for bad behavior.

I know. What's your point?

Edit. Nevermind, forgot this was about the best anti wrestler who wasn't a wrestler.

I think that bringa us back to GSP being the answer. Non Wrestler who took down most high level wrestlers at will and kept them down while stuffing close to 95% of there attempted takedowns.

I believe we have our answer

Back