Opinion Bernie's mittens: A lesson for S.F. high school students in subtle white privilege

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
Critical theory creeping on 'Ol Bernie.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion...-students-get-a-lesson-in-subtle-15909700.php
Three weeks ago I processed the Capitol insurrection with my high school students. Rallying our inquiry skills, we analyzed the images of that historic day, images of white men storming through the Capitol, fearless and with no forces to stop them. “This,” I said, “is white supremacy, this is white privilege. It can be hard to pinpoint, but when we see, it, we know it.”

Across our Zoom screen, they affirmed, with nods, thumbs-ups, and emojis of anger and frustration. Fast-forward two weeks as we analyzed images from the inauguration, asking again, “What do we see?” We saw diversity, creativity and humanity, and a nation embracing all of this and more. On the day of the inauguration, Bernie Sanders was barely on our radar. The next day, he was everywhere.

“What do we see?” I asked again. We’ve been studying diversity and discrimination in the United States; my students were ready. What did they see? They saw a white man in a puffy jacket and huge mittens, distant not only in his social distancing, but in his demeanor and attire.

We took in the meaning of the day, the vulnerability of democracy, the power of ritual, traditions and the peaceful transition of power.

We talked about gender and the possible meanings of the attire chosen by Vice President Kamala Harris, Dr. Jill Biden, the Biden grandchildren, Michelle Obama, Amanda Gorman and others. We referenced the female warriors inspiring these women, the colors of their educational degrees and their monochromatic ensembles of pure power.

And there, across all of our news and social media feeds, was Bernie: Bernie memes, Bernie sweatshirts, endless love for Bernie. I puzzled and fumed as an individual as I strove to be my best possible teacher. What did I see? What did I think my students should see? A wealthy, incredibly well-educated and -privileged white man, showing up for perhaps the most important ritual of the decade, in a puffy jacket and huge mittens.

I mean in no way to overstate the parallels. Sen. Sanders is no white supremacist insurrectionist. But he manifests privilege, white privilege, male privilege and class privilege, in ways that my students could see and feel.

“When you see privilege, you know it,” I’d told them weeks before. Yet, when they saw Sen. Bernie Sanders manifesting privilege, when seemingly no one else did, I struggled to explain that disparity. I am beyond puzzled as to why so many are loving the images of Bernie and his gloves. Sweet, yes, the gloves, knit by an educator. So “Bernie.”

Not so sweet? The blindness I see, of so many (Bernie included), to the privileges Bernie represents. I don’t know many poor, or working class, or female, or struggling-to-be-taken-seriously folk who would show up at the inauguration of our 46th president dressed like Bernie. Unless those same folk had privilege. Which they don’t.

Ingrid Seyer-Ochi is a former UC Berkeley and Mills College professor, ex-Oakland Unified School District principal and current San Francisco Unified School District high school teacher.

Poor Bernie, he gets no respect even when he's just sitting at an inauguration trying to keep his old bones warm. Also, seems the teacher penning this op-ed has too much time on her hands and far to much access for airing her critical views. But hey, just fringe stuff right?

bernie-sanders-meme-1230690429.jpg

Damn, democrats have covered everything in order to make sure that white people have privilege and they are always the oppressors while minorities are always the victims in some capacity. Touché' far leftists.

What color does she think Biden is, exactly? Biden is king boomer.

436226-joe-biden-parle-d-une-corvette-electrique-de-320-km-h-et-la-toile-s-enflamme.jpg

She's mad at Bernie because he didn't dress sufficiently gaudy to show his enthusiasm?
"In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called.

Last edited:
But he manifests privilege, white privilege, male privilege and class privilege, in ways that my students could see and feel.

“When you see privilege, you know it,” I’d told them weeks before. Yet, when they saw Sen. Bernie Sanders manifesting privilege, when seemingly no one else did, I struggled to explain that disparity. I am beyond puzzled as to why so many are loving the images of Bernie and his gloves. Sweet, yes, the gloves, knit by an educator. So “Bernie.”

Not so sweet? The blindness I see, of so many (Bernie included), to the privileges Bernie represents. I don’t know many poor, or working class, or female, or struggling-to-be-taken-seriously folk who would show up at the inauguration of our 46th president dressed like Bernie. Unless those same folk had privilege. Which they don’t.

Ingrid Seyer-Ochi is a former UC Berkeley and Mills College professor, ex-Oakland Unified School District principal and current San Francisco Unified School District high school teacher.

She was a UC Berkeley Professor, First Worlder, living in the 21st century(access to best tech/medicine ever while living in the safest times)...sorry just had to point that out since we're pointing out privileges.

Any old person who is cold and doesn't give a fuck about people's opinions, would dress up as bernie........You don't have to be super rich to have a fucking jacket/gloves.

Does this person not understand Bernie is being made fun of with these memes? It's not praise. It's a giant roasting session using photoshop.

But of course, all this focus on making fun of Bernie is because he's rich and white, not because he looked funny in the picture.

Lol what a ridiculous gripe. How do you find these articles?
People like this exist in the wild.. And it's from San Francisco Chronicles so the distribution there is apparently very high.

Opinion / Open Forum

Do we really need to keep having these "this random reader opinion makes me angry" threads?
Just figured out Breitbart made an article about this, otherwise no one would have noticed. Imagine looking for stuff like this all day. I agree the article in the OP is moronic, but the attempt to make this hyper partisan is obvious.

On another note, I just figured out that the women who made the mittens used the money to fundraise for LGBT youth and other charities. And Bernies response to the whole thing was very wholesome. So, all in all a feel good story.

Back