Bendo vs Melendez

JfPuffNStuff

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just read an article on Bloody Elbow that said Bendo needs to beat Melendez to be # 1. I find this to be quite ridiculous. In Bendo's last five fights he's beaten Miller, Guida, Edgar x2 and Diaz. Melendez has beaten Thomson twice and I honestly thought he lost the second fight, Aoki, Kawijiri and Masvidal. The level of competition isn't even close for Melendez. If anything, Melendez needs to beat someone before Bendo to show that he truly deserves a title shot.

i don't even understand how Gilberts on anyones top PFP list, he's a great fighter, but he struggled in his last two fights against guys most don't consider top 10..

I think Benson easily has claim to #1, though it is difficult to truly say he is the owner of 2 wins over Frankie Edgar. We all know that Henderson was gifted that decision in the 2nd fight.

You think Melendez lost the third fight vs. Thomson but think Bendo actually won the second fight vs. Edgar?

You think Melendez lost the third fight vs. Thomson but think Bendo actually won the second fight vs. Edgar?

Yes, I thought Melendez lost the third fight with Thomson. The second Edgar fight for Bendo was some what questionable but thought either man was deserving of the decision.

Yes, I thought Melendez lost the third fight with Thomson. The second Edgar fight for Bendo was some what questionable but thought either man was deserving of the decision.

Wow, I would love to see how you judge fights then. To be okay with the Benson-Edgar 2 decision and then claim Thomson should have gotten the nod over Melendez...to each their own I guess.

Champion vs Champion, this is a pretty easy fight to make and the disrespect Gilbert getting here today is pretty ridiculous.

odd...i thought JT only won two rounds and the only thing that made people feel he had a chance at the decision was because they were the championship rounds and when he won those people decided to pick the closest of the first 3 rounds and give it to JT when most people had Melendez 3-2. Bendo-Edgar was very questionable.

I don't agree with the idea that Bendo has to beat Melendez to be considered number one...but i just thought it was interesting that your firmly said Melendez lost to Thomson yet didnt mention that Bendo kind of got away with one against Edgar when IMO the Bendo-Edgar II was more clear win for the guy who lost. Different opinions i guess.

Wow, I would love to see how you judge fights then. To be okay with the Benson-Edgar 2 decision and then claim Thomson should have gotten the nod over Melendez...to each their own I guess.

In the moment I thought Edgar won the second fight but I watched it again and it really could have gone either way. I just thought Thomson had more dominant moments even though Melenedz landed more strikes. My whole point is Bendo has fought much higher competition than Melendez.

In the moment I thought Edgar won the second fight but I watched it again and it really could have gone either way. I just thought Thomson had more dominant moments even though Melenedz landed more strikes. My whole point is Bendo had fought much higher competition than Melendez.

I think most people would agree with you that Bendo's faced better competition over his last few fights. It looks like it's only going to get tougher in the months that come...Melendez, Maynard, Alvarez, Pettis

Gilbert like all cesar gracie team members are incredibly delusional. Gil's best days are behind him, if this was 2010 he might have a chance to beat henderson but now no way. I don't think he can beat the top 5 at 155 and he'd have a very hard time against 6-10

I think most people would agree with you that Bendo's faced better competition over his last few fights. It looks like it's only going to get tougher in the months that come...Melendez, Maynard, Alvarez, Pettis

Very true. I really hope a Bendo-Pettis rematch happens. The first fight was great and a second would surely be just as good.

That quote would've been fine after the 1st Edgar fight. Now Gil has done nothing significant since Kawajiri and Bendo's beating better guys than Gil has on a regular basis.

'elbow missed the boat.

Gil will come over to the UFC and fall into the pool of many others who have been chewed up and spit out from other organizations. He wont even be the gatekeeper. Noone from the scrap pack with hold a UFC belt.

gil is at absolute best the 3rd best LW...bendo is absolutely the undisputed #1...

Bendo is definitely #1, now that Edgar is a FW. It's not even close between Bendo and Gil really. But it's good that Bendo beat Diaz, now Gil can have his shot at UFC LW gold. I don't think Gil has much of a chance though, Bendo has been looking better and better (aside from one fight) since joining the UFC.

All I know is that people used to play down the achievements of the wec lws and claim they would get handled in he ufc. Look at them now.

For all we know, Melendez could be he best and Thomson cold be top 3-5

Back