Bendo vs Edgar 1

USAWrestler209

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I too am rewatching some old fights on youtube to get hyped for tonight.

I just watched Ben Henderson vs Frankie Edgar 1 again...

How was this fight even thought to be close? It was pretty clear to me Bendo won 50-45.

First Round - Henderson floored frankie with hard body shots, while edgar was hitting volume strikes to benson's arms and the air

Second Round - Closer round, Frankie gets his first takedown of the fight and then gets up kicked, which was the first significantly damaging strike of the fight. I think Henderson took the round via the upkick.

Third Round - Henderson was getting the better hits in, Frankie gets his second takedown of the fight and nearly gets Guillotined, gives up the position. Gets kicked in the mid section like crazy.

Fourth Round - More knees and kicks to the body, Frankie is just not landing anything significant. Frankie gets a late takedown at the end of the round, and cant do anything with it.

Fifth Round - More knees and kicks to the body, Frankie keeps catching them but they are landing and he isn't making Henderson pay for them. Henderson just keeps doing more of the same.

In Summary, Frankie's first takedown he gets some decent ground and pound going before he almost gets his head knocked off, then his next 2 takedowns are ineffective. Henderson actually use the takedowns to do damage, and his body kicks and knees where the most effective and damaging thing in the striking exchanges. Damage, Pressure, and Effectiveness all goes to henderson every round.

I'm genuinely curious what makes people believe in their eyes Frankie Edgar did enough to win the fight?

Pretty sure it's the 2nd fight people think he got robbed.

Pretty sure it's the 2nd fight people think he got robbed.

I remember the "closeness" of the fight warranted an immediate rematch.

Off the top of my head, from what I remember from watching the rematch, I remember thinking Henderson clearly won 2 rounds, and the other 3 rounds I felt where less than stellar rounds where neither fighter really did anything.

It was clear Bendo won but since Edgar had close fights before and had immediate rematches, Uncle Dana felt it was right to give him an immediate rematch.

Because most on Sherdog hate Bendo basically.

That whole LW rematch extravaganza got out of hand.

Benson won the first one. It was closer than that though.

The second fight is the controversial one (like others have stated). It was very close and I think you could make a case for Edgar winning that one. I'm a huge Benson fan, but Edgar did great work in that fight. Benson did as well. I think it could have went either way.

If I remember correctly Henderson looked lackadaisical in the rematch, I feel he thought he did enough to win.

I think it was less of what Frankie did and more of what Benson didn't do.

His volume of Knees and body kicks were devastating, I wonder if he will bring those out tonight. Benson is giving me that Cowboy Donald Cerrone vibe of he sometimes shows up to win and sometimes shows up to not lose.

I remember the 1st fight being all bendo sincethe amazing kick he landed while on his back. Had edgar winnin prior to that.
The second fight i scored it 48-47 for Edgar, pretty clear to me.

I had Bendo winning the first fight like 4-1 or 3-2, but I had Frankie taking that second fight 4-1.

First fight was definitely NOT controversial, second fight was a fucking robbery

I remember the "closeness" of the fight warranted an immediate rematch.

Off the top of my head, from what I remember from watching the rematch, I remember thinking Henderson clearly won 2 rounds, and the other 3 rounds I felt where less than stellar rounds where neither fighter really did anything.

The first fight was a clear win for Bendo, I don't see how anyone thought Frankie won.

The second fight was a clear win for Edgar. Frankie got robbed, end of story. http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/3645/Benson-Henderson-vs-Frankie-Edgar

Frankie def lost the 1st fight but the second fight was one of the worst robberies I have ever seen, Frankie easily won that fight 49-46

The first fight was very close, probably even closer than the rematch. Bendo clearly took rounds 2 and 4. The other three rounds could have all conceivably been scored for Edgar, though my preferred score for that fight would probably be a draw (10-10 3rd round). The rematch was clearly Edgar's, I think.

Yep, I also thought Bendo won the first fight clearly against Edgar

The first fight was very close, probably even closer than the rematch. Bendo clearly took rounds 2 and 4. The other three rounds could have all conceivably been scored for Edgar, though my preferred score for that fight would probably be a draw (10-10 3rd round). The rematch was clearly Edgar's, I think.

This. Also, the bleeding didn't really help Frankie at all. The first fight was somehow the Machida-Shogun fight wherein one fighter wins two clear round and the other three are just too close to call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back