Ben Askren was popular yes but people wanted to see him lose.....

Being a newish fan of the sport I Iiterally never heard of Askren before he signed with the UFC.

If his 3rd fight was a deciding factor on retirement it would have been best for him, stylistically, not to be paired with Maia.

Ben's confidence got hurt by a one-time mistake against Jorge and a stylistically horrible match up against Maia. For ex Usman and Colby, both elite wrestlers, didnt even attempt to take down Maia.

I think he beats someone like Diaz handily, even a rematch against Masvidal should go in his favour since he would have learned from his mistake.

Pettis, when asked, said he'd be stupid to take a fight against a monster like Ben, yet he's taken many other tough fights.

I was rooting for Lawler and Jorge in his first 2 fights, but I do feel we're missing out by his retirement. His humor and trashtalk were entertaining and I was always looking forward to his fights, albeit only 3.

I'd like to remind you about Hector Lombard.

Hector was a bust but he has the distinction of pretty much single handedly kicking Jake Shields ass out the UFC, not that I particularly wanted that to happen but a lot of folk did

He also destroyed Palhares who doesn't have many fans for obvious reasons

He is the reason Masvidal is as hot as he is.......If Jorge doesn't get hit him from the knee from hell lets be honest who really gave a shyt about Jorge? Thanks Ben for creating a huge superstar for the UFC good luck in your retirement.

You get credit for giving the asswhuppin, not taking them

Hector was a bust but he has the distinction of pretty much single handedly kicking Jake Shields ass out the UFC, not that I particularly wanted that to happen but a lot of folk did

He also destroyed Palhares who doesn't have many fans for obvious reasons

Lombard much like Askren was once mentioned as a potential fighter to beat an untouchable UFC champ.
Askren many insane people thought would beat GSP
Lombard was said to be a really difficult test for Anderson Silva.

Both fought like tremendous idiots but Lombard had a whole skillset he just flat out ignored in MMA, his Olympic level Judo which is wasn't really big on using throughout his career.

Lombard much like Askren was once mentioned as a potential fighter to beat an untouchable UFC champ.
Askren many insane people thought would beat GSP
Lombard was said to be a really difficult test for Anderson Silva.

Both fought like tremendous idiots but Lombard had a whole skillset he just flat out ignored in MMA, his Olympic level Judo which is wasn't really big on using throughout his career.

I remember seeing Lombard in Bellator and him being signed to the UFC, like many I was really excited thinking he'd fight Anderson, then those Boetsch and Okami fights happened and that was that

Ben had a way of slowwwwwing everything down and was elite at positioning and scrambles.. Didnt make for the most exciting fight style but i always enjoyed people who could impose their will and noone could defend it, similar to gsp. Also his Ufc stint was fun. I have high school kids and lots of young wrestlers and camps were following him. I'll miss him and good luck!

He is the reason Masvidal is as hot as he is.......If Jorge doesn't get hit him from the knee from hell lets be honest who really gave a shyt about Jorge? Thanks Ben for creating a huge superstar for the UFC good luck in your retirement.
Jorge lighting up Till in England was a real wake up to notice him.

Back