• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Ben Askren drops new sparring footage

Beware of Dem Hands?

• Total voters
You don't need to be so defensive. I'm rooting for ben, so I won't bet against him because then if he won I wouldn't be happy. I just think people are massively overvaluing his distance control. And Maia is not a scrub from the street, but let's have no illusions about his striking skills. He survived with anderson because anderson was terrified of the takedown. His only offensive tool in the striking department is his cross.
I am not defensive at all, my good man. Apologies if it came off like that.

You are right in all that you stay, and maybe Paul beats him 100/100, but those odds are relatively close as many think Ben has a path to victory. He has very few offensive weapons, no doubt. I'd even say his best offensive weapon is his defense, or rather ability to absorb punishment and keep coming. Robbie hit him with some bombs and Ben kept coming. I think either he gets knocked out early or it is a hug fest that will be sloppy terrible, but therein Ben may be able to make the fight dirty, dirty box, hit off the clinch, etc and get a decision. Paul may have increased his gas tank since the Deji fight, but homie was gassed after that 7 minutes.

I don't think you realize that Paul knows this and is doing this purely for fame and fortune.
Of course I realize that. And that's why he won't fight MMA. He'll fight a wrestler in boxing but never a MMA fighter in MMA. Losing wouldn't be good for his fame, would it?

Let him come fight in MMA and see how things go

We know he won't. They never do.

Askren will embarrass himself and MMA, sure. But Paul will never agree to a MMA fight because he'd lose. Period.

I think the older brother was considering mma since hes a highschool wrestler. Jake isnt gonna do mma.. why would he? Its a lesser sport than boxing. Fianacially a step down and hes training for to be a boxer. Thats kind of a nothing statement youre making.

I think the older brother was considering mma since hes a highschool wrestler. Jake isnt gonna do mma.. why would he? Its a lesser sport than boxing. Fianacially a step down and hes training for to be a boxer. Thats kind of a nothing statement youre making.
So he'll fight a wrestler in boxing, but won't face a real boxer in boxing? Won't face a wrestler in MMA?

Funny how it's always MMA guys going to boxing, never boxing guys coming to MMA.

Of course I realize that. And that's why he won't fight MMA. He'll fight a wrestler in boxing but never a MMA fighter in MMA. Losing wouldn't be good for his fame, would it?
It would, actually. Any attention is good attention.

So he'll fight a wrestler in boxing, but won't face a real boxer in boxing? Won't face a wrestler in MMA?

Funny how it's always MMA guys going to boxing, never boxing guys coming to MMA.

He wont fight a real boxer cus he'll get destroyed. Maybe eventually he'll get a big enough ego to try. Koing askren might do it.

many mma fighters have come from boxing. Cody was a boxer. Holy holm also. You arent going to see a super successful boxers move to mma though.. makes zero sense for them to drop down into mma learn a whole new aspect of fighting and get paid 10x less. The transition from mma to boxing is more appealing. Mma fighters box already and its a oppertunity for them to make way more than they ever will in mma. Connor made what? Over 100m to box floyd while guys in the ufc are getting 500k to defend their title.

decent form and timing. He could turn his torso more on kicks but that is definitely not bad like Ben askren. Shields went 5 rounds standing with GSP. Hes not an above average striker by UFC standards but he isn’t some geek off the street .
great reference with geek off the street. regulators! that's on pads. shield's striking is definitely below average. below average power too. couldn't finish the bully beatdown guy. my point is shields showed that volume, tenacity, and cardio can (and a takedown threat) be used to replace form and power.

images

great reference with geek off the street. regulators! that's on pads. shield's striking is definitely below average. below average power too. couldn't finish the bully beatdown guy. my point is shields showed that volume, tenacity, and cardio can (and a takedown threat) be used to replace form and power.

images
Warren G got that quote from young guns

images
Yes, absolutely. Kimura didn’t invent the double wrist lock. He’s just known for it. Kudos for knowing the “sample”.

he has a grappling approach in his stance

looks like shit

Ben should get outclassed here, and it’s not even crazy to think that. One dude boxes... has trained more boxing and is a better athlete.
Ben is a world class wrestler with awful hands.
It’s not shocking at all. Ben should lose this 10/10 times.

Back