Belt system

ShogunOOORAH

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My friend is telling me that if you are 16 or older you go from White to Blue to Purple etc. And you dont get the lighter colored belts. I went to wikipedia but I dont know how accurate this is. Any help?

At 16 you can get your blue. At 18+ can get your purple but not all gyms work this way

Does that mean I go directly from White to blue then? Im 18 myself.

im taking it that you are new to bjj and a no stripe white belt. most places have stripes on belts, you will get 1, 2, 3, 4 then blue probably. you are best to ask your instructor.

p.s stop worrying about getting a new belt and worry about training

I already train no gi etc. But its combat submission wrestling not straight Jits. My gym doesn't have a good straight jits program so Im going to another one. I could care less what belts i get. I'd find novelty in all the colors. Doesn't matter. Just me and my friend discussing how it works.

for adults or 16+
white->blue->purple->brown->black

i dont know hows exactly kids work, all i know is they have a yellow belt after white. I think they might have orange too. You cannot get a blue until you are 16, so that is why they have other belts in between. Not sure on orange, i know a couple kids at my gym have yellows

if you are over 16 there are no belts besides white, blue, purple, brown, black.

kids under 16:

white-yellow-orange-green

over 16:

white-blue-purple-brown-black (red white-red)

for adults or 16+
white->blue->purple->brown->black

i dont know hows exactly kids work, all i know is they have a yellow belt after white. I think they might have orange too. You cannot get a blue until you are 16, so that is why they have other belts in between. Not sure on orange, i know a couple kids at my gym have yellows

if you are over 16 there are no belts besides white, blue, purple, brown, black.

under 8- White-> Gray or white-yellow

8-16- white->yellow->orange->green

(gray goes directly to yellow at age 8; anything above white goes directly to blue at age 16)

if you're 18 you're going to go white -> blue hands down.

Back