Belt "Degrees" in BJJ

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Someone asked me a question the other day and I couldn't answer it. I was hoping you guys could shed some light on things. The question was what is the difference between, say, a 2nd degree black belt and a 5th degree? In many traditional arts, there is a set criteria and you have to do certain things to earn the belt. For example, in Judo there are set techniques and kata you need to know to pass certain degree tests. In Taijutsu, up to 5th degree there are set tehcniques and after 5th it is things like loyalty, teaching skill, work with in the org. etc.

Is there any rhyme or reason to BJJ belts? My feeling is that after a certain level (maybe black or 2nd degree) it becomes more of a political/personal thing between that individual and the person that gives the belt. i.e. less about fighting ability or pure technical knowledge. Also are there set guidelines on who can promote to what?

Just curious and I couldn't find any answers.

it's about time as a black belt. it really doesn't mean much.

i think it is 3 years for the first three stripes

5 years for the next three stripes

7 years for the next three

10 year for the last

The real question is, who gets to promote BB's.

For example the guys from Carlos who were "expelled" still attained ranks above Black belt (1st, 2nd, 3rd, degree) But WHO promoted them as they were all just black belts when they were expelled.

For example the guys from Carlos who were "expelled" still attained ranks above Black belt (1st, 2nd, 3rd, degree) But WHO promoted them as they were all just black belts when they were expelled.

Unless I misunderstnd it the stripes only mark time as a BB, and dont have to be "given", just put on. You dont "promote" a 3 yr time lapse do you?

The real question is, who gets to promote BB's.

You mean Carlson, right? As far as I know they weren't promoted.

Just like BJ has been a black belt for 8 years, but I'm pretty sure he's still a regular ol' black belt.

You mean Carlson, right? As far as I know they weren't promoted.

Just like BJ has been a black belt for 8 years, but I'm pretty sure he's still a regular ol' black belt.

i am talking about the Ibjjf rules from carlos gracie

i think it is 3 years for the first three stripes

5 years for the next three stripes

7 years for the next three

10 year for the last

If that is true and my math is correct it would take 55 years to get a red belt in BJJ. If you have to be 18 years old to get a black belt and than wait another 55 to get red, that would mean people like Relson Gracie would be 73 years old.

I heard it was only 3 years per degree, and once you get second degree you can promote others to black. This I dont really understand though because I haven't heard of Matt Serra being a 2nd degree black, and guys like bustamante, Sperry and the other fallen angels have been BJJ blackbelts for years but are only 2nd/3rd degree.

It also states on the IBJJF website that in order to be eligible for stripes on your black belt, you have to renew your IBJFF membership card every year for the three years, then every year for the 5 years, etc etc. Is this some kind of new rule Carlinhos implemented to bring in the paper?

If that is true and my math is correct it would take 55 years to get a red belt in BJJ. If you have to be 18 years old to get a black belt and than wait another 55 to get red, that would mean people like Relson Gracie would be 73 years old.

I heard it was only 3 years per degree, and once you get second degree you can promote others to black. This I dont really understand though because I haven't heard of Matt Serra being a 2nd degree black, and guys like bustamante, Sperry and the other fallen angels have been BJJ blackbelts for years but are only 2nd/3rd degree.

The logic behind length of time for a red belt falls down when you realise that there will never be any other red belts. helio stated those belts were only for the founders.

Red and black, sure. There were some semi-recent promotions actually.

The logic behind length of time for a red belt falls down when you realise that there will never be any other red belts. helio stated those belts were only for the founders.

Red and black, sure. There were some semi-recent promotions actually.

Their are red belts. I am pretty sure that Relson is one, Rorion too. Even Carlson Gracie has Red belt students IIRC.

Their are red belts. I am pretty sure that Relson is one, Rorion too. Even Carlson Gracie has Red belt students IIRC.

Relson is a red and black belt. Here's a pic from December when he promoted my instructor to red and black as well...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninjamurf/2138243399/in/set-72157603553366871/

(let me know if that doesn't come through...it's a "private" set)

The only red belts are the original Gracie brothers Helio, Carlos, Oswaldo, George, and Gastao as far as I know. I thought it was pretty well known that only those original 5 would ever get the red (10th degree.) I think even Carlinhos says it somewhere on the ibjjf site? I see the pix with Francisco in a red belt and I don't get it? He's 9th degree which I thought was red and black?

Ninja,
Did your instuctor compete at the last Pan Am? There was a red/black belt there..it was cool.

Ninja,
Did your instuctor compete at the last Pan Am? There was a red/black belt there..it was cool.

Yeah, that was him. I think he's the only red/black to ever compete? He fell asleep though with Jon Bjorksten in his guard who locked up a foot. Fabio was pissed!

Back