Bellator took a major step back

deadscou5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
With that last event a lot of my friends who are casuals now think bellator is a joke organization because the lowlights as id say are all over social media
I think cokers attempt to draw new viewers by putting on that freakshow has backfired in a big way

Also any governing body that allows ken shamrock to fight is despicable and have clearly took a backhanded payment

All I know is that The punk Thomson vs Chandler was announced, and I'm very excited for that fight

Two quick examples of how fickle and forgetful casuals are-

After Silva vs Maia, Dana refused to wrap the belt around Andersons waist. People were furious (he wasn't far removed from that lackluster fight with Leites). Then he has a miracle comeback against Sonnen and front kicks Vitor asleep and they won't shut up about how he's the greatest ever.

Ronda Rousey refuses to shake Meishas hand after beating her a second time. This after being a bitch all season on TUF. The crowd boos her out of the building. A few quick KO wins later and she's an inspiration.

Next weeks show will be great. March 4th Caldwell will manhandle Warren and make this a distant memory. This show wasn't even really terrible- it's just the one fight most people were looking forward to (for whatever reason) was, so the whole show gets written off as bad when it wasn't.

Personally, I'm happy that this happened. Maybe it'll convince Coker that he should rethink the whole freakshow thing. Sucks Kimbo and Dada get that exposure at the expense of the good talent they have released.

I don't think it took a step back. I believe Coker has embraced the bush league nature that is Bellator. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun and laughed so hard watching an MMA event. Between this and Rizin it's good time to be an MMA fan.

Liam is "injured". Hard to say how true that is whenever Bellator and King Mo are involved.

Personally, I'm happy that this happened. Maybe it'll convince Coker that he should rethink the whole freakshow thing. Sucks Kimbo and Dada get that exposure at the expense of the good talent they have released.
let's hope that they learned from this. they have enough talent now to put on interesting fights without shamrock, kimbo. both shamrock and kimbo fights were total messes. the ratings will be high for the last event but maybe let's get our casual fight friends to watch mo/davis and thomson/chandler ... i just want spike to get better ratings without kimbo and shamrock so they know that its possible

It was an utter shit show. If he's going to lure in casuals with these idiot fights, he needs to make sure that the undercard delivers some legitimate MMA so that the sport doesn't disgrace itself. He tried with Vassel-Newton, but that turned out to be an unfunny joke defined mostly by nutshots. The only legitimately exciting moment of the night was due to Melvin sacrificing his brain for our entertainment.

The overwhelming impression for a new viewer would be that MMA is a place for people who make bad life decisions.

You have ABSOLUTELY no idea how media and human perception works. Coker got an email with some numbers and a congratulation this morning. Whether some idiotic mma fans think the show was shit or not has ZERO IMPORTANCE

With that last event a lot of my friends who are casuals now think bellator is a joke organization because the lowlights as id say are all over social media
I think cokers attempt to draw new viewers by putting on that freakshow has backfired in a big way

There mistake was putting the freakshows as the main and co main... Even Rizin knew better then to put sapp akebono on the main even though it was the most publicized fight in Japan... That being said casual fans are now talking about Bellator, as long as they put on a couple good events in the near future it will still be a beneficial card overall just based off exposure.

I just want to know how much Kimbo and Dada banked from this... "fight"....

I remember when Vegh was "injured" and they made Mo vs Newton for the interim lol
the truth back then was Vegh wanted more money and they didnt reach an agree, after they payed him extra cash for fighting Newton, but once he lost, Bellator dumped him...

You have ABSOLUTELY no idea how media and human perception works. Coker got an email with some numbers and a congratulation this morning. Whether some idiotic mma fans think the show was shit or not has ZERO IMPORTANCE

Ratings isn't everything and Spike and Coker will tell you that. If it did great in ratings this is a classic case of maybe winning the battle but losing the war. Great you got people to tune but at the expense of an absolute horrendous show of your MMA product. Any fringe/casual MMA fan that tuned into that show I highly doubt will waste time watching your show again. You surely did not turn any of them into supporters of your product and that is really the goal of tent pole events. Draw people in and keep them around for your lesser shows. This event is a failure of epic proportions for Bellator and Spike. I for one would not be surprised at all if Spike puts an end to some of these ridiculous match ups. All its doing is pissing money away for maybe a quick rating bump but at the same time coming at the expense of very poor MMA being displayed in your cage that sponsors pay big money to advertise in and leaving a very sour taste in a majority of your fan's mouth.

P.S.: Just think of the money it cost to put the two main events on and how that could've been spread out over some real talent with some name value. You know guys like Ben Henderson, Rampage, and Phil Davis's of the world as there contracts come up. Guys like that will bring eyes to Bellator as they have found out first hand with two of them already and put on a good show. None of them you have to worry about with what we saw on Friday night.

There mistake was putting the freakshows as the main and co main... Even Rizin knew better then to put sapp akebono on the main even though it was the most publicized fight in Japan... That being said casual fans are now talking about Bellator, as long as they put on a couple good events in the near future it will still be a beneficial card overall just based off exposure.

You really think casual fan who watches MMA here and there throughout the year would really tune in again for Bellator based on that show?

I have a hard time believing there interested in Bellator 150 or 151 coming up.

Ratings isn't everything and Spike and Coker will tell you that. If it did great in ratings this is a classic case of maybe winning the battle but losing the war. Great you got people to tune but at the expense of an absolute horrendous show of your MMA product. Any fringe/casual MMA fan that tuned into that show I highly doubt will waste time watching your show again. You surely did not turn any of them into supporters of your product and that is really the goal of tent pole events. Draw people in and keep them around for your lesser shows. This event is a failure of epic proportions for Bellator and Spike. I for one would not be surprised at all if Spike puts an end to some of these ridiculous match ups. All its doing is pissing money away for maybe a quick rating bump but at the same time coming at the expense of very poor MMA being displayed in your cage that sponsors pay big money to advertise in and leaving a very sour taste in a majority of your fan's mouth.

P.S.: Just think of the money it cost to put the two main events on and how that could've been spread out over some real talent with some name value. You know guys like Ben Henderson, Rampage, and Phil Davis's of the world as there contracts come up. Guys like that will bring eyes to Bellator as they have found out first hand with two of them already and put on a good show. None of them you have to worry about with what we saw on Friday night.
You have no idea how media works man thats all Im going to say

Back