• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bellator Signs Rory Macdonald

Wow. That's a legit loss for the UFC. Dana and co. had better have something spectacular up their sleeves to let Rory Mac go. Bellator is making some big time moves as of late!

He loss two in a row. Easy decision for Dana.

IIRC Rory said he would like to try 185 at some point or am I mistaken?

Bellator MW division is awful.

"It will never happen"
Absolutes rarely hold true in MMA. Good signing for Bellator, they have themselves a decent Welterweight division now. Too bad they burned their bridges with Askren.

Do you give him immediate title shot or a can in his debut to get him a win?

If he loses to Koreshkov thats 3 in a row and he'd be in a really tough spot making alot of money.

Think they might want to break up that losing streak with a quick win.

I hope they let him fight MVP so people can see how overrated MVP is.

he'll probably fight in both divisions and maybe kickboxing too, i guess the other benefit of signing with bellator other than getting paid is he pretty much can do whatever he wants

Huge signing for Bellator. They have had a bad year. Now they add a big name in his prime years.

They needed something like this.

Wow. That's a legit loss for the UFC. Dana and co. had better have something spectacular up their sleeves to let Rory Mac go. Bellator is making some big time moves as of late!

I think they let him go cause Rory is very odd cat. The guy simply doesn't want to do anything to help his own stock outside of just showing up and fighting. Which is fine, but at the same time you'll never reach your true value. So it also effects the promotions bottom line. The dude is just boring outside of his fights. He rarely even does an interview and when he has done any embedded kind of shows he makes you yawn. I think the UFC just feels like they got what they got out of him and time to move on. Similar to guys like Fitch, Okami, and even Phil Davis.

In Bellator he can just show up and fight. There won't be anyone reaching out weekly to him for promotional type stuff.

Good signing for Bellator and probably explains a few recent cuts to help clear money for Rory. Which in itself is a whole other problem and tells us fans Spike isn't all in with Bellator and its running on a very strict budget.

He loss two in a row. Easy decision for Dana.
Easy decision? He is a 27 y/o top five welter weight who has a win over the current champ. I honestly think you're downplaying this.

Last edited:
Don't think it's that big a loss for UFC either. Lost his last two. He's fought a lot of the guys there already. They have young prospects coming up and GSP is returning for the Canada market.

Sure Bellator gave him a blow away offer. Only way it can back fire is if he loses.

If he loses to Koreshkov thats 3 in a row and he'd be in a really tough spot making alot of money.

I'd probably give him a can first. He's taken big damage recently from Lawler and Wonderboy. He needs a break and an easy win.

I'd like to see him start at MW. He would literally own that shit division for years to come. Its literally free for him to take.

WW does have way more interesting possibilities though, but Bellator def needs a face for the MW division. Their current champ is straight ass.

BW has Dantas
FW with Strauss
LW has Chandler and Bendo
WW with Page
MW with Rory
LHW will have Davis or McGeary
HW is pretty shit.

Rory could be the presence they need for good MW representation.

Gotta give him a real tough guy as his first fight, is Rudy Bears available? Dennis Olson would work too. But for real, great signing. It'll be interesting to see who they give him first, perhaps Gonzalez or Njokouani, Gilbert Smith if they want to give him an easy win while not making it a total can crush fight.

lold hard at Rudy Bears - no disrespect Mr Bears

They should build him up for 1 or 2 fights. He's been in some absolute wars, and while he's only 27, he may be 5-10 years older in "fighter years." An he hasn't had an easy fight in a long time. Give him some wins, some confidence and hopefully let his body recover before putting him against Bellator's best.

Bellator's biggest signing even bigger than Benson. If they can nab Cowboy too that would be huge, probably the most significant rival to the UFC since Pride.

They have some talent in Bellator IMO, they just need names too.

Big signing for Bellator. Interested to see how he does against the Bellator elites at 170.

Good, onlyif Bellator could take care properly of his homegrown talent (Held and others that Bellator let go) they could do really good things (money!!!!)

Great signing. They have a chance to get cowboy.... The issue is perception. Bellator is seen as second rate.Name value has made UFC brand name

Back